first_imgThe wife of Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán — the Mexican drug lord who was recaptured earlier this year, months after his escape from a maximum-security prison — says she now fears for his life.“They want to make him pay for his escape,” 26-year-old Emma Coronel Aispuro said, according to The Los Angeles Times. “They say that they are not punishing him. Of course they are. They are there with him, watching him in his cell.“They are right there, all day long, calling attendance. They don’t let him sleep. He has no privacy, not even to go to the restroom.”In the interview — her first-ever public comments about her marriage, according to the Times — Coronel said that she’s only seen her husband once since he was imprisoned again, a visit that lasted just 15 minutes.She said he was “completely shackled, handcuffed,” at the time, and guards at the facility stayed close by.She also claimed that Guzmán was “slowly being tortured” and that his blood pressure was high.“I am afraid for his life,” she said.The interview with Coronel aired on Telemundo and was the basis for the Times story, a collaborative project with the Investigative Reporting Program at the University of California at Berkeley.Guzmán was captured in early January, about six months after he had tunneled out of Federal Social Readaptation Center No. 1, which is also known as Altiplano prison.Before his capture, however, he was interviewed by actor Sean Penn, a meeting that led to a piece published in Rolling Stone.See: ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán and actress Kate del Castillo talked of ‘dream’ meeting in textsWatch the Telemundo interview with El Chapo’s wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, in Spanish:Guzmán had escaped the federal facility outside of Mexico City in July 2015, slipping out through a hole in the floor of his cell. Now that he’s back in custody, authorities in Mexico have begun the extradition process to the U.S.“I will follow to wherever he is,” Coronel said. “I am in love with him. He is the father of my children.”Coronel, a former beauty queen, and Guzmán are the parents of twin girls.The pair married in 2007, on the day Coronel turned 18, according to the Times report. Guzmán is 32 years older than Coronel, his third wife.“I would say what won me over was his way of talking, how he treated me, the way we began to get along — first as friends and from that came everything else,” Coronel said. “He tends to win over people by his manner of being, of acting, the way he treats people in general.”© 2016, The Washington Post Facebook Comments Related posts:Mexico wants to question Sean Penn over meeting with ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán Mexico captures fugitive drug lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán, says President Peña Nieto Beachcombing along the Caribbean drug trail in Nicaragua Mexico drug lord ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán back in jail, betrayed by biopic bidlast_img read more

first_img Categories: Glenn News State Reps. Gary Glenn, left, and Lee Chatfield provided testimony to the House Tax Policy Committee April 15 on their legislation to prohibit Michigan Economic Growth Authority tax credits beyond the state’s current $9.38 billion liability. The bills were unanimously approved today by the committee and now go to the House for consideration.Michigan House Tax Policy Committee members today voted unanimously in favor of legislation to protect taxpayers from additional financial liability through Michigan Economic Growth Authority (MEGA) tax credit extensions.The committee includes state Rep. Gary Glenn, R-Midland, who introduced House Bill 4334 to prohibit extensions currently allowed under the Michigan Business Tax Act. The committee also approved HB 4333, which addresses similar language in the Michigan Economic Growth Authority Act.“The MEGA credits and program expansion did what was intended at a time when Michigan was struggling through the recession by retaining the key industries and jobs that are now helping our state lead the nation’s economic rebound,” Rep. Glenn said. “While those past financial commitments can be honored with gratitude we must now look to ensure a fiscally responsible and realistic future that is stable and sustainable for Michigan taxpayers.”The MEGA tax credits were greatly expanded in 2008, and even though the program was ended by the Republican-led Legislature and Gov. Rick Snyder in 2011, there is a taxpayer liability of $9.38 billion projected over the next 17 years, including a $325 million state obligation this budget year.Current state law allows the existing credits to be increased and extended further, but the legislation approved today by the committee will freeze the existing program and its credit liabilities.HB 4333-4334 now go to the full House for consideration. 29Apr House committee approves Rep. Glenn bill to prohibit MEGA tax credit extensionslast_img read more

first_imgAdam SawickiDeutsche Telekom-owned T-Mobile Polska has appointed Netia CEO Adam Sawicki as its next chief executive, effective June 1. Sawicki is currently chief exec and president of the management board at Netia, Poland’s second largest fixed line operator. In his new role he will report directly to Claudia Nemat, board member for Europe and technology at Deutsche Telekom.The appointment will see Sawicki take over from Zacharias Piperidis, who has held the T-Mobile Polska top job on an interim basis since November in addition to his role as chief operating officer at Greek telco OTE Group – in which Deutsche Telekom is the largest shareholder.Piperidis stepped in to replace Miroslav Rakowski, who left T-Mobile Polska on October 31 “upon his own request to pursue new challenges outside the Deutsche Telekom Group.”“With Adam Sawicki at the helm of T-Mobile Polska, it is clear that we have the right man to tackle the Polish telecommunications market and industry,” said Nemat.“As a former CEO of GTS Central Europe and with his extensive international experience in the business and residential markets, he is a perfect strategic fit to help us ‘lead in business’ – a key element in our company’s strategy – and integrate the GTS operations we recently acquired.”Sawicki was president of the management board and chief executive officer of Ruch Internet between 2011 and 2012 and was CEO of GTS Central Europe from 2008 to 2011.last_img read more

first_imgMary Blake Tourism Officer with Council who is leading the local campaign said: “We are delighted that our bid is through to the shortlisted stage. Derry is galvanised under the ‘LegenDerry Food’ mantra, promoting exceptional quality and locally sourced food.“The ancient Walled City has many high quality and independently accredited restaurants along with quality cafes and delis.“Eminent food critics such as Georgina Campbell have claimed that we are now justifiably flagged as the North West’s Gourmet Capital.“Winning Foodie Town Ireland would be a real testament to the food revolution that has been taking place in our city over recent years.“Voting for Derry will support all our hardworking chefs, artisan food producers, fishermen, farmers, restaurateurs and hospitality staff.”Derry has been named among the top ten food destinations in Ireland and two independent assessors will now visit the city in the coming weeks to see what’s on the local menu. A national public vote will carry equal weight in the deciding the overall winner.You can register your support for the local food industry by going to www.foodietowns.ie and voting before 5pm on October 2nd.DERRY HAS A BITE AT FOODIE TOWN TITLE was last modified: September 17th, 2015 by John2John2 Tags: DERRY HAS A BITE AT FOODIE TOWN TITLEFOODIE TOWN OF IRELANDMARY BLAKETOURISM OFFICER ShareTweet “The city is undoubtedly establishing itself as a premier food destination and with the success of our recent food festivals, including the Flavours of the Foyle and the Legenderry Food Festival, our reputation continues to grow.“I am a huge supporter of local restaurants and food producers and Council is committed to supporting and growing the food industry here in the North West.“Winning the Foodie Town of Ireland title will gain further national recognition and enhance the city’s profile as a top destination for food tourism.”The Foodie Town of Ireland competition recognises the efforts made to establish a location’s foothold in the food tourism market, through events and activities such as food festivals, gourmet trails and markets, as well as establishing a reputation for dining excellence. THE Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District, Councillor Elisha McCallion, is calling on people across the district to back an online campaign to have Derry crowned the Foodie Town of Ireland.The city has been shortlisted in the prestigious national industry competition which is organised by the Restaurants of Ireland and a public vote could sway the outcome.With two weeks left to vote, Mayor McCallion urged local food fans to register their support online. “I am thrilled to see Derry shortlisted and I’ve already voted online.last_img read more