To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share Photo: Courtesy of LSC-TomballLone Star College-Tomball Vice President of Instruction Dr. Quentin Wright (left) welcomes attendees to the first of several immigration workshops being hosted by Lone Star College this week.The travel restrictions issued by President Donald Trump at the end of January have been blocked by the courts. But they have brought up many questions.Additionally, the Trump Administration is toughening deportation guidelines through measures such as the removal of undocumented immigrants who have been in the United States for at least two years.That is a change from the Obama Presidency, which focused more on those newly or recently arrived in the country.In the midst of all this, Lone Star College (LSC) is trying to help clarify the situation by holding free immigration workshops in all its campuses this week.According to LSC’s administrative office, more than 3,000 foreign students are currently enrolled in the college and nine of them are from countries impacted by the travel ban.LSC leaders say they have received many questions from foreign students.Alicia Harvey-Smith, the college’s executive vice chancellor, notes the goal of the workshops is broad because “it’s not simply limited to our international students, but anyone who might have an interest and I’m pretty sure we will probably have some community members showing up and who may also have questions.”Sarah Monty is Houston-based an immigration lawyer who participated in the workshop held on Monday, February 20th.Monty told Houston Public Media “there is a lot of nervousness for all foreigners,” and added they “tried to address different points of anxiety” in the workshop.Among other reasons for the anxiety, Monty underscores the uncertainty of foreign students in general, but also the repercussions of the ongoing immigration actions by the Trump Administration.EDITOR’S NOTE: This story has been changed from an earlier version to accurately reflect the actions taken by federal judges in the ongoing litigation over President Trump’s executive order on travel from seven Muslim countries. Listen 00:00 /01:01 X
© 2010 PhysOrg.com Explore further Citation: Web browsers and iPhone hacked at contest (2010, March 26) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-03-web-browsers-iphone-hacked-contest.html This year’s winner, security analyst Charlie Miller, was awarded $10,000 and a MacBook for hacking into Apple’s Safari browser running on Snow Leopard on a MacBook Pro to which he had no physical access. Miller also successfully attacked Safari in the 2008 and 2009, and now works as principal security analyst with Independent Security Evaluators. While he gave no details, Miller said the attack was triggered by the target computer visiting a specifically designed malicious website. The exploit, written in only a week, was reliable, and the user had no idea the computer was being attacked.The $15,000 second prize winners were Ralf Philipp Weinmann from the University of Luxembourg and Vincenzo Iozzo of Zynamics, who successfully attacked the iPhone. This exploit also featured a website with malicious code that enabled the hackers to lift the SMS database from the phone in around 20 seconds. They were even able to read text messages that had been deleted and upload them to their own server. They could also have exfiltrated the email database, phone list, photographs, and music files. Weinmann said they took two weeks to find the vulnerability and write the exploit, and while the attack crashed the browser, he said with a little more work they could have avoided that. Other successful hackers at the event attacked Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox 3.6.2, both running on 64-bit Windows 7. The attack on IE 8 by Peter Vreugdenhil, a security researcher from the Netherlands, bypassed both ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomization) and DEP (Data Execution Prevention), which are both designed to stop attacks on the browser. The exploit won him $10,000. The Firefox hack, by Nils (no surname given), chief researcher with MWR InfoSecurity in the UK, also won $10,000 for an attack that bypassed ASLR and DEP. The attack allowed him to run the Windows calculator, but he said he could have started any process. In both exploits the browsers visited malicious websites.Pwn2Own is sponsored by Tipping Point’s Zero Day Initiative, which gives vendors details of the attacks to allow them to patch the vulnerabilities. Pwn2Own is run as part of the CanSecWest security show in Vancouver, Canada. (PhysOrg.com) — Hackers had a field day on the first day of the Pwn2Own contest, successfully attacking Safari, iPhone, Internet Explorer, and Firefox. The Pwn2Own contest is an annual event that encourages security specialists to win hardware by successfully attacking it. Hackers register the attack has run by having the exploit code read a particular file on the system. Winners receive cash prizes as well as the hardware. PWN2OWN Hacker Contest Targets Smartphones This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
TORONTO — Intrepid Travel is taking 10% off more than 1,000 small-group tours in 100 countries for its Canadian clients.Tours on offer include everything from best-selling itineraries like Best of Morocco, Vietnam Express Southbound and Everest Base Camp to brand-new 2018 tours like the 10-day Iran Real Food Adventure and Azores and Portugal. The sale also includes Intrepid Travel’s specialty tour ranges like Family, Cycling, Sailing and Wildlife.The discount is open to Canadian and U.S. travellers who book a trip – with a $400 deposit – from Sept. 19 to Sept. 28, 2017, for tour departures between Nov. 1, 2017, and March 31, 2018.“With over 1,000 trips on offer we are confident agents across Canada will be able to find the perfect tour for their clients,” said Leigh Barnes, Intrepid Travel’s Director for North America. “Whether Canadians are looking for a winter escape to Central America or a far-flung adventure in Asia or Africa, we hope travellers and agents take advantage of this rare opportunity to see the world for less.”More news: Direct Travel names Smith as Senior VP, Leisure Marketing, North AmericaFor more information on the terms of the discount visit intrepidtravel.com/ca/10-off-sale. Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> Share Posted by 1,000+ winter departures on sale with Intrepid Travel Tags: Intrepid Travel, Promotions Tuesday, September 19, 2017