first_imgHold the guac! That side of guacamole could get a lot more expensive now that Costa Rica has decided to temporarily ban avocado imports from nine countries, including the world’s largest producer of avocados, Mexico.Costa Rica produces only a small percentage of the avocados its population consumes, and one local producer predicted prices could rise as much as 25 percent.A virus called “sunblotch” affecting avocado crops around the world — especially the coveted Hass variety — drove the country’s Plant Health Services to close Costa Rica’s borders to imports of the fruit on Tuesday, according to a statement from the Livestock and Agriculture Ministry.Along with Mexico, avocados from Australia, Spain, Ghana, Guatemala, Israel, South Africa, Venezuela and the U.S. state of Florida have also been temporarily blocked.Officials said the virus could do serious damage to the country’s roughly 900 small avocado producers if the plague finds its way in. The virus reduces the quantity and quality of avocados, affecting the tree’s leaves and deforming the fruit with yellow stains.As of April, sunblotch had not reached Costa Rica.The decision to block avocado imports from Mexico could leave many suppliers scrambling. Mexico is the world’s largest producer of avocados and the single biggest exporter of avocados to Costa Rica.Mexico was responsible for more than 80 percent of the 12,563 metric tons of avocados imported in 2014, according to figures from Costa Rica’s Foreign Trade Promotion Office.Costa Rica’s annual avocado production tops out at just 2,000 metric tons, according to the agriculture ministry.Carlos Gamboa, manager of APACO, an avocado growers cooperative in the Los Santos area south of San José, told The Tico Times that he expected prices for avocados to jump as high as 25 percent as importers look to more distant sources, like Chile, Peru or California to fill demand.Avocados have become part of the basic Costa Rican diet during the last several decades, Gamboa said, so given high demand, it’s likely supply will be quickly replaced.He said he was pleased with the government’s decision to ban imports from sunblotch-infected regions.“We’re very satisfied to see the Costa Rican government taking steps to protect domestic production,” Gamboa said.Plant Health Services Director Francisco Dall´Anese has been in dialogue with his Mexican peers to find an alternative to safely allow Mexican avocados back into Costa Rica without risking the country’s domestic production. The agency said in a statement that it’s working to establish import protocols for the other affected countries. Facebook Comments Related posts:Costa Rica’s avocado ban turns into a food fight Government approves $1 million in aid to farmers affected by unusual weather conditions Police seize 20,000 contraband avocados at Panama border Mexico takes Costa Rica ban on avocados to World Trade Organizationlast_img read more

first_img Categories: News 09Oct Price, Michigan House support Breast Cancer Awareness Month Rep. Amanda Price (fourth from right) and her fellow female Republican legislators wear pink in recognition of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Price was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in 2001.last_img

first_imgBelgacom increased its TV subscriber base by 236,000 last year, ending December with a total of 1.2 million.The Belgian telco lost some of the rights it held to broadcast Jupiler League football matches but CEO Didier Bellens said this was not longer affecting churn rates. “In 2011 we had to make some strategic choices, for which we maintained our discipline and opted not to take the easy road but to hold on to our end goal, value creation. As such we were vigilant not to overpay for Belgian football broadcasting rights. This now proves to have been the right choice since football-related churn is back to previous levels, when we had all the rights”Revenue from TV services increased 14.3% year-on-year to €208 million.Belgacom said its bundling strategy was paying off. Last year it added 219,000 multi-play subscribers, ending December with a total of 1.09 million ‘Packs’ customers.The telco reported total revenues of €6.4 billion for 2011, down 3% year-on-year.last_img read more

first_imgThe IBC exhibition had recorded 49,808 people through the door at 10.30 this morning, which IBC CEO Michael Crimp said was comparable with last year’s 50,462 and up on 2010. Crimp said that registrations had fallen a little behind on last year over the Olympics period, but had recovered ahead of the show. “At the end of the day we didn’t seem to be impacted by the Olympics,” he said. “However, it explains why we had a different pattern of registrations.”Crimp said that record space had been sold to exhibitors this year, which saw the introduction of a new hall, Hall 14, outside the Rai building. This introduced 6,000 sq. metres of additional space. IBC had sold 20,000 sq. metres of space for next year’s show as of last night, he said.Referring to the introduction of recording artist and Intel creative director will.i.am as a conference speaker at this year’s event, Crimp said that his session had attracted 500 viewers, filling the main conference Forum space. This year’s IBC marked the second year of the Leaders’ Summit, a closed session for media leaders, this year featuring FremantleMedia CEO Gary Carter as an after-dinner speaker.A ‘Rising Stars’ event for new entrants to the industry and students attracted 120 attendees, while the Innovation Awards had attracted a significant number of nominations from end users as well as vendors, said Crimp.Phil White, director of technology and events, highlighted Japanese broadcaster NHK’s 8K demonstration and the world premier of a movie – Hugo 3D – screened on a laser projector.IBC conference chairman Michael Lumley said this year’s show had seen the introduction of new formats, including breakfast briefings. The IBC Awards had given a genuine representation of the breadth of the industry, he said.last_img read more

first_imgUkrainian broadcaster 1+1 Media Group is to use capacity on SES’s satellite at 5 degrees East to broadcast eight channels.Under a long-term agreement between the pair, 1+1 will lease of one transponder on the Astra 4A satellite positioned at 5 degrees East.The capacity contracted by 1+1 Media will enable the group to host all of its eight channels on SES’s satellite. Seven of its DTH channels serve the Ukrainian market: 1+1, 2+2, TET, PlusPlus, Bigudi, Unian TV and Kvartal TV.The other channel of the group, 1+1 International, is targeted at the Ukrainian diaspora in Europe, and is an international version of the 1+1 channel.1+1 Media Group recentlystruck a deal to add the latter channel to a new OTT service aimed at expatriate and ethno-linguistic groups launched by Cisco in partnership with Sky.“1+1 Media Group is one of Ukraine’s major players in the market. We have already been hosting some of the group’s TV channels. This new agreement brings our long-standing relationship to a new level, and we are very much looking forward to delivering all of 1+1 Media Group’s channels to both Ukrainian and international audiences,” said Ferdinand Kayser, chief commercial officer of SES.“We have been relying on SES’s services over the past several years, and we are very pleased that our collaboration is expanding. SES has extensive experience in the Ukrainian market, and a proven track record in delivering top quality services. We are confident in SES as a partner in bringing our channels to our audiences in Ukraine and abroad,” said Yaroslav Pakholchuk, chief operational officer of 1+1 Media Group.last_img read more