After months of complaintsAfter numerous complaints were lodged about the difficulties being faced to traverse hinterland roads, contractors were finally mobilised to begin rehabilitative works.The state of hinterland roadsIn a recent engagement, Natural Resources Minister, Raphael Trotman made this announcement, having identified that the prolonged rainy season amplified challenges to manoeuvre along the dreadful thoroughfares.“We have seen some hinterland roads or forest roads suffering some deterioration. I’m advised…that we have seen a prolonged wet season and more intense rainfall which has proven to be challenging for us,” he said.The Natural Resources Minister had established a partnership with the Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) and Public Infrastructure Ministry to share responsibility for the maintenance of hinterland roads. Presently, works have already commenced in a few areas.“Some road works have commenced. Certainly, contractors have been mobilised. GGMC, Ministry of Natural Resources and the Ministry of Public Infrastructure are now sharing responsibility for hinterland roads.”In June, the regional administration of Region Eight (Potaro-Siparuni) had embarked on rehabilitative works on the Linden-Lethem trail after citing similar issues.Mayor of Lethem, David Adams had informed that the remedial activities had brought significant relief to the road users who have been suffering in the recent months.Road users, particularly minibus operators plying the trail were complaining of the deteriorated condition of the trail which had become almost impassable. Mayor Adams had said that no major works could be done on the trail during the rainy weather. During this season, extra attention needed to be paid to the trail between Mahdia and Mabura, which was in dire need of repair works.The minibus operators had lamented the deteriorating condition of the trail which they are forced to use to transport passengers and goods as a means of earning their daily bread.They described the trail as a “death trap” and bashed the Public Infrastructure Ministry for paying zero interest in conducting long-term repairs to that trail which is the only access to those areas. Those minibus operators were forced to park their buses for a period of time.Further, when they resumed work, they were unable to get into the mining town with their buses and as such, were forced to take passengers up to a point on the trail and then transfer those passengers and goods and other items to All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) and pick-up trucks. These were able to get through the silt and into the mining town.This arrangement persisted for several weeks but resulted in hardships on those passengers and business owners who had to offset the double cost to reach into the mining town. Residents were also facing hardships as businesses were forced to inflate prices to offset the transportation cost and as such, they had to pay higher prices for goods.
March 3, 2017Congratulations to the January 29. 2017 workshop participants upon their graduation from the 5 week workshop.from left:Jerry Puerner,Joseph Islas continues as an intern in construction,Emily Mather is staying as a volunteer in construction and the visitors center.
Belgacom increased its TV subscriber base by 236,000 last year, ending December with a total of 1.2 million.The Belgian telco lost some of the rights it held to broadcast Jupiler League football matches but CEO Didier Bellens said this was not longer affecting churn rates. “In 2011 we had to make some strategic choices, for which we maintained our discipline and opted not to take the easy road but to hold on to our end goal, value creation. As such we were vigilant not to overpay for Belgian football broadcasting rights. This now proves to have been the right choice since football-related churn is back to previous levels, when we had all the rights”Revenue from TV services increased 14.3% year-on-year to €208 million.Belgacom said its bundling strategy was paying off. Last year it added 219,000 multi-play subscribers, ending December with a total of 1.09 million ‘Packs’ customers.The telco reported total revenues of €6.4 billion for 2011, down 3% year-on-year.
Adam SawickiDeutsche Telekom-owned T-Mobile Polska has appointed Netia CEO Adam Sawicki as its next chief executive, effective June 1. Sawicki is currently chief exec and president of the management board at Netia, Poland’s second largest fixed line operator. In his new role he will report directly to Claudia Nemat, board member for Europe and technology at Deutsche Telekom.The appointment will see Sawicki take over from Zacharias Piperidis, who has held the T-Mobile Polska top job on an interim basis since November in addition to his role as chief operating officer at Greek telco OTE Group – in which Deutsche Telekom is the largest shareholder.Piperidis stepped in to replace Miroslav Rakowski, who left T-Mobile Polska on October 31 “upon his own request to pursue new challenges outside the Deutsche Telekom Group.”“With Adam Sawicki at the helm of T-Mobile Polska, it is clear that we have the right man to tackle the Polish telecommunications market and industry,” said Nemat.“As a former CEO of GTS Central Europe and with his extensive international experience in the business and residential markets, he is a perfect strategic fit to help us ‘lead in business’ – a key element in our company’s strategy – and integrate the GTS operations we recently acquired.”Sawicki was president of the management board and chief executive officer of Ruch Internet between 2011 and 2012 and was CEO of GTS Central Europe from 2008 to 2011.