Blogs

COVID-19: Business owners file class-action lawsuit against Jokowi, Terawan for negligence

first_imgA group of small and medium business owners have filed a class-action lawsuit against President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto for what they perceive to be the government’s negligence in handling the COVID-19 pandemic, which has taken a toll on their livelihoods.The lawsuit was filed by group representative Enggal Pamukty at the Central Jakarta District Court.“It’s true that I submitted a lawsuit against President Jokowi for [the government’s] fatal negligence in handling COVID-19,” Enggal said on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com. He said the government had failed to take the necessary precautions in the early stages of the viral outbreak as it had allocated its resources to promoting tourism instead.Read also: Turf war undermines COVID-19 fight in Indonesia“If only the central government had been serious in mitigating the COVID-19 situation from the start, fellow business owners and I would have still been able to make a living,” Enggal said. “[The situation] has deprived us of income, yet the government has yet to provide support.”The six plaintiffs demanded financial compensation of Rp 12 billion (US$710,757) for material losses and Rp 10 million for immaterial losses.Jokowi’s response to the current health emergency has previously been met with criticism among the public. A recent report compiled by Staqo Analytics showed that, from March 23 to 30, “around 59 percent of coverage and discussions on online media and news sites using the keyword ‘Jokowi’ received negative responses from the public”.The President has repeatedly rejected the idea of imposing a lockdown on Jakarta, the epicenter of Indonesia’s COVID-19 epidemic, despite mounting calls from scientists and public health experts ahead of the approaching Idul Fitri holiday.As of Wednesday, Indonesia had reported a total of 1,677 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 157 deaths. (rfa)Topics :last_img read more

Steve Shea, 60, Oxford: Nov. 16, 1954 – Dec. 8, 2014

first_imgSteve SheaSteven Shea, 60, of Oxford, died Monday, December 8, 2014, at his home in Oxford.Graveside Memorial Services will be at 2 p.m., Friday, December 12, 2014 at the First Freewill Baptist Church in Wellington. No visitation is scheduled as cremation has taken place. A memorial has been established with the NRA and may be left with the Oxford Funeral Service. For further information please visit www.oxfordfuneralservice.com.Steven Lloyd Shea was born November 16, 1954 the son of Lloyd and Naomi (Osborn) Shea in Ottawa, KS. He graduated from Oxford High School in 1973. Steven worked as a machinist at TECT for over 40 years. He enjoyed firearms of all kinds and was a gunsmith. He also enjoyed riding his motorcycle, hunting and fishing. Steven was a member of the Kansas State Rifle Association and the National Rifle Association.Steven is survived by his sister, Cindy Wiley of Oxford; stepdad, Jerry Price of Oxford, and niece, Christy Newlin, great nephews, Quentin Newlin and Bryson Mahurin; great nieces, Aubriannah Presinger and one great great-niece, Arienna Mahurin.He is preceded in death by his parents.last_img read more