Blogs

Will Peter Gallagher Join Kristin Chenoweth in B’way Revival of On the Twentieth Century?

first_img View Comments The original Broadway production of On the Twentieth Century was directed by Hal Prince and opened in February 1978 at the St. James Theatre, starring John Cullum, Madeline Kahn, Imogene Coca and Kevin Kline. The musical received five Tony Awards, including Best Book of a Musical and Best Original Score. Featuring a book and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green and music by Cy Coleman, On the Twentieth Century follows a down-and-out Broadway producer named Oscar Jaffee who struggles to convince his former muse and lover, now a successful film actress, to return to Broadway in a play about Mary Magdalene. While dealing with Lily Garland’s jealous new lover and a religious fanatic aboard a luxury train, Oscar hopes he can lure her back to the stage and salvage his sinking career. Star Files Show Closed This production ended its run on July 19, 2015 Gallagher received a Tony nomination for his role as Edmund Tyrone in the 1986 production of Long Day’s Journey Into Night. He also appeared on Broadway in The Country Girl, Noises Off, Guys and Dolls, The Real Thing, The Corn Is Green, A Doll’s Life and Grease. Gallagher’s many film and TV credits include The O.C., Center Stage, American Beauty, To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday, While You Were Sleeping and Sex, Lies, and Videotape.center_img On The Twentieth Century Kristin Chenoweth He’s got it all! It looks like stage and screen star Peter Gallagher is ready to take the Great White Way by storm once again! According to The Los Angeles Times, the Tony nominee will be joining Tony winner Kristin Chenoweth in a forthcoming Broadway revival of On the Twentieth Century. Chenoweth recently told Broadway.com that she’s definitely “putting aside a chunk of time to be able to” play Lily Garland in the musical. Related Showslast_img read more

Congress push back approval of final 2020 budget

first_img Earlier this month, President Duterte urged the Senate and the House to pass the national budget by December to avoid what happen to this year’s budget, which was four months delayed. Lawmakers are pushing back their target date for the approval of the final version of the P4.1-trillion national budget for 2020 by at least one day after senators asked for more time to review the fiscal plan. “If there were no hitches, the Senate can ratify the bicameral version of the 2020 national budget on Wednesday or even on Tuesday,” Sotto added. MANILA – The Senate and the House of Representatives is about to beat President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadline of submitting the ratified version of the 2020 national budget by December. Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III also said they eye approving the final version of the budget on Wednesday at the latest “if [there are] no hitches.” Senate Finance committee chairman Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara  said Monday that about 90 percent of the conflicting provisions of the two chambers of the Congress in next year’s budget were reconciled. “We are approximately 90 to 95% reconciled with the House,” Angara said. “Sen. [Panfilo] Lacson’s proposals like placing some limits on administrative costs and having the possibility of greater local projects have also been adopted in some form in the budget provisions.”   Duterte was only able to sign the 2019 budget into law in April after the Senate and House took time to transmit the signed enrolled copy of the bill over disagreements on lawmakers’ insertions./PN According to Angara, the Senate and House contingents for the bicameral conference committee on next year’s national budget are about to meet again on Tuesday to iron out the remaining disagreeing provisions.last_img read more

Rose Hall elects new Mayor, Deputy

first_img– Winifred Haywood re-elected as NA MayorNew Councillors were on Wednesday installed in two of the three municipalities in Region Six (East Berbice-Corentyne).The town of Rose Hall has both a new Mayor and Deputy Mayor, while New Amsterdam has a new Deputy Mayor, after Winifred Haywood was re-elected Mayor. The new Mayor of Rose Hall is Chattregoon Ramnauth and Deonauth Harrynarine is the Deputy Mayor.Newly elected Rose Hall Mayor, Chattregoon Ramnauth (seated centre) with members of the new CouncilThe new Mayor of Rose Hall says high on list of priorities will be to ensure the town has an improved garbage collection system. “The garbage collection system has to be more effective,” he said. Ramnauth also said the Council will not be increasing property taxes under his tenure as Mayor.However, several streets will be rehabilitated along with the drains.The Mayor-elect said a plan to ensure that residents pay their property taxes at the existing rates is in the making, with a campaign to be launched in January next year. He said financial statements of the Council’s accounts will be printed and placed at prominent locations as from next year.The 69-year-old Mayor-elect further stated that he is looking forward to the cooperation and support of all Councillors.The full Council is Mayor Ramnauth; Deputy Mayor Harrynarine; Arthur Fraser, Roydel Lewis, Elvis Punch, Vedwatie Ramnarine, Arjune Sammy, Rakhram Srikishen, David Fraser, Winston Hole, Boybert Bisram, Gaitree Sheonarine, Igram Rodney, Dave Budhu and Sandra Chisholm.Meanwhile, lead Councillor for the A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), Winston Hope congratulated the new Mayor and Deputy Mayor.Hope said the APNU side of the house is there to work together for the development of the town. He said they will support any programme which they think will benefit residents of the township.Meanwhile, in New Amsterdam, Winifred Haywood was re-elected Mayor, while the town has a new Deputy Mayor in Wainright McIntouch.APNU has 10 seats on the Council; the People’s Progressive Party, three; and the Alliance For Change (AFC), one.The full Council is Pullian Shultz, Buster Wright, Sheenta Lambert, Quacy Isaacs, Zabarally Armogan, Olga Stephens, Patrica Lynch, Winifred Haywood, Esan Vanderstoop, Keith Myers, Wainright McIntouch, Nalini Tahal and Kirk Fraser.Mayor Haywood said it is her hope that the new Councillors will serve faithfully.last_img read more

Antonio Conte hopes Chelsea newcomers will spare him the champions’ curse

first_imgChelsea coach Antonio Conte will be hoping that the curse of the English champions does not strike him down this season.In the past two years, the managers of the Premier League title-holders – Jose Mourinho, also at Chelsea, and Leicester City’s Claudio Ranieri – have been fired after their previously all-conquering teams suddenly slumped down the table.Conte seems aware of the risk.”We know it will be difficult next season and we will try and avoid what happened to Mourinho’s side at the start of 2015,” he said during a pre-season tour of Asia.”Two years ago Chelsea finished 10th and that cannot happen again,” he said.The former Juventus and Italy coach led Chelsea to the 2016/17 title in his first season in charge in England. But the challenge will be greater this year with the London club back in the Champions League after a season out of Europe.Mindful of the demands of competing at home and abroad, Conte has sought to stiffen his team’s spine, bringing in a new centre forward, central midfielder and central defender.A lot of responsibility will fall on striker Alvaro Morata, signed for 58 million pounds from Real Madrid. He will fill the void left by Diego Costa who was told by Conte that he no longer had a place at Chelsea after a row at the start of 2017.While Costa’s lack of discipline on and off the pitch was frustrating for both Conte and Mourinho, he was central to Chelsea’s title victories in 2015 and 2017 and scored 52 goals in 89 league appearances in his three years in London.advertisementConte had targeted former Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku as the ideal replacement for Costa with his proven record as a powerful Premier League goalscorer during his years at Everton.But Lukaku was snatched away to Manchester United by Mourinho, forcing Chelsea to gamble on Morata who has shone for Madrid and for Juventus but who has yet to be tested in the hurly-burly of the English league.Conte will also be hoping that another of his big summer signings – French midfielder Tiemoue Bayakoko, bought for a reported 40 million pounds from Monaco – will find his feet quickly in England.Bayakoko is expected to take the place of Nemanja Matic whose strength helped Chelsea to give a free rein to their attack-minded midfielders such as Eden Hazard, Pedro and Willian. Matic has signed for Manchester United.The third of Chelsea’s big summer signings – defender Antonio Rudiger – will also be discovering the physical demands of English football for the first time as he arrives from Roma.In a sign that Conte is aware of the risk that his new recruits might not settle quickly in England, newspapers have said he is still hoping to sign three or four British-based players before the season kicks off on August 12.last_img read more