Blogs

CGU disposals show focus on new markets

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Hospices against euthanasia, MPs told

first_imgNewsHub 21 September 2016Hospices have told told Parliament’s health select committee that they oppose changing the law to allow voluntary euthanasia.The committee is listening to public opinion on voluntary euthanasia and will report its conclusions to Parliament in response to a petition asking for a law change.On Wednesday Andrew Leys, chief executive of Hospice Southland, said his team was extremely concerned about a possible law change.He told the committee hospice workers often faced questions about euthanasia from patients.“The vast majority move beyond the point of wanting euthanasia,” he said.“My team is concerned that voluntary euthanasia could lead to less support for people to help them cope with their circumstances.”Mary Potter Hospice director Brian Ensor said hospices would have to be kept entirely seperate from any assisted dying.“The last days of living should be made as comfortable as possible, and it may involve sedation,” he said.READ MORE: http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/hospices-against-euthanasia-mps-told-2016092115last_img read more

Anjorin to ink new Chelsea contract

first_img “It was like he had been beamed back down to earth as a complete player overnight! “After that, he was always the standout player; people knew him before he even knew how to spell his name. He is a goalscoring midfielder in the Frank Lampard mould. Lampard was one of his idols, but so were Lionel Messi and Zinedine Zidane. “He has a high level of technical ability, great finishing quality and a great passing range. We felt that the Chelsea environment was perfect for Tino. “It has really stretched him. The training has always been harder than the matches, he’s highly competitive and he just wants to get on the pitch and beat his opponent.” Having progressed through Blues’ academy, Anjorin was part of the Under-18s side which won an unprecedented quadruple in 2018, with only the UEFA Youth League alluding him of the major trophies available to young players in England. The Poole-born teenager made his first team bow in late September against Grimsby Town in the Carabao Cup while his first Premier League appearance came on Sunday as he stepped off the bench for the closing stages of the 4-0 win over Everton. Though he was overshadowed by the performance of Gilmour, it was clear that Anjorin will not struggle in senior football given his frame, though – like Loftus-Cheek – it has played a role in him picking up more injuries than he would have liked in his early career. He also needs to work on building up both his speed and acceleration when running if he is to take the next step and become a regular first-team footballer at the top level. Whether he makes that step at Chelsea or elsewhere, however, is up in the air somewhat. With the Blues looking to tie down a number of their prodigious young talents, the likes of Callum Hudson-Odoi, Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori have all signed new contracts over the past 12 months. Anjorin, however, has not been able to agree terms, and as such is now just over three months away from entering the final year of his current deal. Talks have been ongoing regarding a renewal for some time, with the Blues having previously been confident pen would be put to paper sooner rather than later. Their interest in Birmingham City starlet Jude Bellingham, who is being heavily linked with Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund, has further slowed matters, and there is some concern another of the club’s brightest prospects may follow in the footsteps of Tariq Lamptey – who joined Brighton in January – and leave. Read Also:Teen star Gilmour vows to keep proving worth at Chelsea Chelsea must now fight to show Anjorin that he is in the right place to further his development, and handing the England youth international more first-team opportunities will likely help. But should they fail to tie him down then there is set to be a long list of suitors for one of the most impressive teenage footballers the Premier League currently has to offer. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Tino Anjorin is set to sign a five-year extension with Chelsea. Tino Anjorin The 18-year-old made his Premier League debut in Sunday’s 4-0 win over Everton as a late substitute. And The Sun says Anjorin is poised for a new contract, despite still having remaining on his current deal. The Blues have already locked down youngsters Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Reece James and Marc Guehi to long-term deals. Anjorin joined the West London club as a six-year-old. Few academies are getting a better showcase this season than Chelsea’s. Whether by choice or forced by the club’s transfer ban, Frank Lampard has turned to numerous homegrown talents in a bid to maintain the Blues’ status among the European elite. The latest to earn their opportunity was Billy Gilmour, whose star turns in midfield against both Liverpool and Everton in front of live television audiences in the UK should ensure that he becomes a household name sooner rather than later. Gilmour, of course, does not have the same history as some of Chelsea’s other young players in terms of his upbringing, with the Scot having been brought to west London from Rangers in 2017. Tino Anjorin joined Chelsea at Under-7s level, and has worked his way through the various age groups to now be on the cusp of earning a regular berth in Lampard’s first-team squad. A physically imposing presence who has been compared to Ruben Loftus-Cheek due to his stature, 18-year-old Anjorin has been the shining light in Chelsea’s youth team this season, contributing 11 goals and six assists thus far. Born to a football-obsessed family of Nigerian heritage, Anjorin was christened Faustino to pay homage to former Newcastle and Colombia forward Faustino Asprilla. It is a tradition that has run through the family, with his younger brother named Zico after the Brazilian legend. His father, Sheriff, has played the lead role in overseeing his development and revealed that he has been overpowering opponents from a very early age. “When he was three-and-a-half, he went and joined in a training session with six-year-olds,” Anjorin senior told Goal. “He was dribbling better and shooting with more power than those older than him. Loading… center_img Promoted ContentA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?What Are The Most Delicious Foods Out There?10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love With7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The UniverseThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricaneslast_img read more

Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Washington Nationals: NLDS Game 5 live blog and chat

first_imgstaffLive blog and chat from NLDS Game 5: Los Angeles Dodgers vs. Washington Nationals, 5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 13. (FS1)Trouble viewing on mobile? See full stream. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Errorlast_img

Drew Brees awarded more than $6M in diamond-fraud lawsuit

first_imgMoradi denied the allegations in court. He and Brees had a 15-year business relationship. Attorney Andrew Kim, who co-represented the Breeses, expressed support for the jury’s decision.  Related News A jury has awarded New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife $6.13 million in a lawsuit claiming a San Diego-area jeweler sold them overpriced diamonds.Brees and his wife, Brittany, had sued Vihad Moradi of CJ Charles Jewelers in La Jolla, California, claiming he misled them about the value of $15 million in diamonds they purchased as an investment. Saints offering $18M per year, Michael Thomas wants $22M, report sayscenter_img Colts owner Jim Irsay spends record $3.975M on Pink Floyd guitar “It was our position that Mr. Moradi breached his fiduciary duty, and that’s essentially what the jury said,” Kim said (via the San Diego Union-Tribune). “They saw Mr. Moradi for exactly what he is: a grifter and a confidence man.”Brees played for the San Diego Chargers from 2001 through 2004 before signing as a free agent with the Saints.last_img read more

Jury Begins Deliberating in Roger Stone Trial

first_img(Washington D.C.) — Jurors are beginning deliberations to decide whether Broward resident, Roger Stone lied to Congress.The case went to the jury Wednesday after prosecutors and attorneys for the Republican operative gave their closing arguments.Stone faces seven charges over what he might have known about the release of Democratic campaign information by WikiLeaks during the 2016 presidential campaign.Stone, who did not take the stand in his own defense, is charged with witness tampering, obstruction of justice and lying to Congress.The 67-year-old Trump ally could face prison time if convicted. Stone has denied knowing about the WikiLeaks’ releases ahead of time and he has pleaded not guilty.Stone was arrested by heavily armed SWAT agents at his home in Broward County. The raid scared his wife who is hard of hearing. The raid was captured by CNN’s camera crew who happened to be on the scene at the time of the take down.last_img read more

2 killed in Central Florida during New Year’s party shooting

first_imgOrange County Sheriff’s responded to a scene at a club in a shopping plaza north of Orlando after a shooting occurred that left two men dead.According to reports, over 250 people fled the scene after the shots were fired.Security was at the event but appeared to be outside when the shooting broke out.“We are told some security guards were outside at the time of the shooting, but investigators say they don’t believe they screened or searched any of the party-goers before entering,” Jamie Hoffman of the Orange County Sheriff’s Office said.Officials say they are still looking for a suspect.last_img read more

DeSantis: Task Force will Oversee State’s “Resurgence and Reopening”

first_imgGov. Ron DeSantis held a news conference late Wednesday afternoon at the Florida State Capitol regarding the coronavirus pandemic.The governor announced that he is putting together a task force to oversee the “resurgence and reopening of Florida.”“Time is of the essence, and we want to make sure we’re getting the best ideas possible,” he said.The task force will be comprised of elected officials in addition to leaders in the fields of business and education, among others.“I’ll be seeking advice and ideas on pretty much everything under the sun. Small business, agriculture, restaurants, tourism, large events and conventions, recreation, international travel, K through 12, as well as higher education,” DeSantis added.Here’s a message to Floridians who are fighting every day to combat #COVID19. We can, and we will, get through this together. https://t.co/BBOXa4zDCD— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) April 15, 2020 A “stay at home” order remains in effect for the entire state until April 30.It is unknown at this time whether that order will be extended, or if DeSantis will allow it to expire and begin to reopen various parts of our state.He stated that the situation continues to change from one moment to the next, and that his team is continuing to study the data on testing and cases of COVID-19, to help them determine the next steps.Florida currently has 22,511 cases and 596 deaths.In South Florida, the statistics as of Wednesday morning are as follows:Palm Beach County: 1,782 cases-105 deaths-Men: 852, Women: 865-311 hospitalizationsBroward County: 3,334 cases-92 deaths-Men: 1,708, Women: 1,499-530 hospitalizationsMiami-Dade County: 7,863 cases-149 deaths-Men: 4,019, Women: 3,701-655 hospitalizationslast_img read more

Kootenays shutout at B.C. Interior Men’s Curling Championships

first_imgBy The Nelson Daily SportsVernon will have some strong representation at the upcoming B.C. Men’s Curling Championship after the Aron Herick and Darin Heath rinks of the Central Okanagan City qualified for the provincial tournament followings wins at the Men’s Interior playdowns Sunday in Kamloops.Herick, third Tobin Senum, second Marc Fillion and lead Jason Wizniak defeated Brent Yamada of the host club 10-7 in the A final to claim the top berth.Meanwhile, Heath doubled former Canadian champ Rick Folk of Kelowna 8-4 to claim the second berth.The Myron Nichol rink, curling out of the Nelson Curling Club, lost three straight to Josh Firman of Creston 10-6, John Pierce of Smithers 11-3 and Folk 6-5.The Nichol rink includes Garry Beaudry, Stew Higgins and Rob Babiarz. Tom Buchy of Kimberley finished with a 3-2 record. Buchy lost to Heath 9-7 in the B semi final.The Rob Ferguson rink of Trail, finishing with a 2-2 record, was also knocked out of the running by Rick Folk 8-1.Defending West Kootenay champ, Fred Thomson rink of Nelson, did not enter the Interior tournament after some of the members of the rink were unable to attend.The rink includes Nelson’s Barry Marsh, Don Freschi of Trail and Rob Nobert of Castlegar.sports@thenelsondaily.comlast_img read more