Blogs

Migrants, police in fresh clashes at Turkey-Greece border

first_imgTopics :  ‘Coordinated attacks’Earlier Friday, Greek officials accused Turkey of providing cutters to migrants to break through fencing. “There are coordinated attacks this morning,” a Greek official told AFP. “Apart from intimidation, these attacks are taking place from the Turkish police to help migrants cross the fence border line.”Meanwhile, two Greek men were convicted of threatening aid workers on the island of Lesbos, where there has been a violent backlash against those helping the swelling number of arrivals.”I will continue to defend my country. Most of the (aid groups) operate like spies. These gangsters should leave the island,” said 73-year-old Konstantinos Alvanopoulos after being given a three-month suspended sentence.Erdogan’s office said the Syrian ceasefire would not alter its policy on refugees leaving for Europe. “The Russia-Turkey agreement does not… change the fact of the European Union’s non-compliance with its promises as part of the 2016 refugee deal,” presidential sources told state news agency Anadolu. Russia, which backs Syrian government forces with air power, agreed to impose a ceasefire in Idlib from midnight and the skies were free of warplanes for the first day in months on Friday, although previous peace agreements have proved temporary. The EU welcomed the ceasefire. “For sure I am pleased for the ceasefire, the ceasefire is good news. At least it’s goodwill — let’s see how it works,” Borrell said in Zagreb.”But there’s still an extraordinary humanitarian challenge that I think we all face in terms of the sheer numbers of refugees,” added Irish Foreign Minister Simon Coveney. “Right now, let’s be honest, the agreement is dead,” Mitsotakis told CNN, referring to the EU-Turkey accord.”And it’s dead because Turkey has decided to completely violate the agreement, because of what happened in Syria,” he added.Turkey agreed in 2016 to stop letting migrants leave in exchange for six billion euros — but Ankara says other parts of the EU deal including improved visa and trade rules were never fulfilled. Mitsotakis said Turkey was doing “the exact opposite” of its obligation to hold back asylum-seekers. Greek police fired tear gas in clashes with migrants at the Turkish border on Friday, as Athens said a 2016 EU-Ankara deal limiting migration to Europe was “dead”.Thousands of people have gathered at the border since Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week that his country would no longer stop refugees from trying to leave.Greece’s Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis accused Ankara of “assisting” an ongoing surge of desperate people gathering at the border. ‘Open the gates’ Friday’s brief clashes occurred as migrants tried to break through the fence, according to AFP journalists at the scene, but they quickly ended the volley of rocks and instead sat peacefully chanting “freedom” and “open the gates”.Greek forces say they have prevented nearly 39,000 people from crossing the border. Turkey claims the real number is more than three times higher.Many migrants say they are being pushed to attempt illegal entry to Greece. “They [the Turkish military] told us that if you don’t go to the border… you will be forced to come back to Turkey and people don’t want to come back because they don’t have any good opportunities, there isn’t anything,” Ali, an Iranian, told AFP.The EU’s diplomatic chief made a direct appeal to the migrants not to go to the Greek border.”The border is not open,” EU High Representative Josep Borrell said after a meeting of EU foreign ministers in Zagreb. Turkey and Russia agreed a ceasefire in Syria on Thursday, but Ankara is still threatened by a potential new influx of refugees from the last rebel stronghold of Idlib and has sought to pressure Europe into providing greater assistance.  Turkey already hosts some four million refugees, and recent advances by the Syrian army, backed by Russian army, have pushed close to a million more towards its border. Later Friday, the Greek government released footage which it said showed Turkish riot police firing a tear gas barrage at Greek border guards.It came after the release of separate footage from Turkish state TV TRT which it said showed asylum-seekers stripped and beaten by Greek forces.A Greek police source disputed the claim, telling AFP: “We are not letting them through the border, so how can we be doing that to them?”Ankara has officially accused Athens of using undue violence against asylum-seekers, killing several and injuring many. Greek officials have repeatedly dismissed this as untrue.last_img read more

Gustin tops Modified main, Embrey gets 100th win at Hamilton County Speedway’s Hubbard Memorial

first_imgBy Ryan BergesonWEBSTER CITY, Iowa (Sept. 28) – Richie Gustin took home the biggest check while Randy Embrey reached a big career win mark Saturday at Hamilton County Speedway’s inaugural Dave Hubbard Me­morial. Gustin capitalized on his pole start and led all 20 laps of the IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modified main event, earning $1,500 for his efforts. Ryan Ruter raced to second from the ninth starting posi­tion but could not reel in Gustin.Tyler Droste raced to a third place finish from the sixth row and Jason Murray finished fourth from the fifth row. Gustin was already on the ballot for the 2014 Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational.Charging to the front of the field from his fifth row start, Embrey won for the 100th time in his IMCA Sunoco Hobby Stock career, earning $750. David Rieks, Bill Bonnett and John Watson finished out the top four. Continuing his torrid September, Carter VanDenBerg added the $1,000 Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMod checkers to his resume. Matt Lettow and VanDenBerg battled up front for several laps before VanDenBerg got the upper hand. Curtis Van Der Wal cruised to the second position but could not reel in the leader. Vanden­berg pocketed the winning prize followed by Van Der Wal, Brett Lowry and Matt Hoeft. Merv Chandler powered to the front of the field in the Mach-1 Sport Compact feature. He domi­nated a 13-car field and was first to the $200 checkered flag, followed by John Whalen, Joseph DeBoer and Nate Evans. In all, 184 drivers packed the pits at Hamilton County for the final night of racing this season and thanks to numerous and generous donations from sponsors, the purse for the event totaled nearly $40,000. Former speedway regular Dave Hubbard, who died last spring, was remembered. Todd Cooney’s IMCA Late Model featured a paint scheme to honor “Racer 5.” The door skins, quarter panels and roof were auctioned off during intermission and all proceeds went to the Hubbard family. Feature Results Modifieds – 1. Richie Gustin; 2. Ryan Ruter; 3. Tyler Droste; 4. Jacob Murray; 5. Mark Elliott; 6. Cayden Carter; 7. Ronn Lauritzen; 8. Greg Elliott; 9. Randy Havlik; 10. Levi Nielsen; 11. Scott Hogan; 12. Dakota Hayden; 13. Scott Williams; 14. Mark Schulte; 15. David Brown; 16. Bill Davis Jr.; 17. Russ Dickerson; 18. Shane Monson; 19. Devin Havlik; 20. Jim Cole; 21. Jeff Waterman; 22. Jimmy Gustin; 23. Scott Olson; 24. Zach Less. Hobby Stocks – 1. Randy Embrey; 2. David Rieks; 3. Bill Bonnett; 4. John Watson; 5. Austin Wolfgram; 6. Ty Griffith; 7. Craig Graham; 8. Cody Nielsen; 9. Mike Hughes; 10. Matt Mundt; 11. August Bach; 12. Jeremy Morriss; 13. Cory Roe; 14. Dustin Tapp; 15. Nate Bonin; 16. Matt White; 17. T.J. Mortenson; 18. Andrew Burg; 19. Seth Janssen; 20. Ruben Stanbrough; 21. Shaun Wirtz; 22. Adam Strunk; 23. Myles Michehl; 24. Jacob Keiser.Northern SportMods – 1. Carter VanDenBerg; 2. Curtis Van Der Wal; 3. Brett Lowry; 4. Matt Hoeft; 5. Matt Lettow; 6. Jared VanDeest; 7. Bob Sutherland; 8. Jeremy Embrey; 9. Sam Wieben; 10. Nick West; 11. Nate Hughes; 12. Duane Van Deest; 13. Tony Johnson; 14. Bill Hildreth; 15. Coty Albers; 16. Paul Price; 17. Tim Judd; 18. Taylor Musselman; 19. Nick Roberts; 20. Johna­than Logue; 21. Nick Meyer; 22. Brad Iverson; 23. Brandon Leeman; 24. Jerid Ratzke. Sport Compacts – 1. Merv Chandler; 2. John Whalen; 3. Joseph DeBoer; 4. Nate Evans; 5. Duane Ferguson; 6. Adam Strunk; 7. Dustin Haggard; 8. Tommy Beekman; 9. Adam Gates; 10. Kalan Guthrie; 11. Mike Nehring; 12. Cody Cleghorn; 13. Stephanie Nielson.last_img read more

Fulham unveils Dafabet deal for Premier League return

first_imgShare Related Articles Share Betway and Dafabet grow La Liga sponsorship portfolios August 14, 2020 StumbleUpon AsianBGE launches live instant win channel with Pin Projekt June 24, 2020 Dafabet grows cricket portfolio with Durham and Sussex deals July 15, 2020 Submit As the club gets ready for a return to the Premiership, Fulham FC has welcomed Dafabet as its new main team partner, in a two-year record shirt sponsorship deal for the club.The announcement of the new partnerships coincides with the launch of the club’s new 18/19 adidas home and away kits, which will carry the Dafabet logo displayed on the front of the playing shirts worn by the First Team for the 2018/19 Premier League campaign and the Fulham FC Women’s team. The Home Kit will be worn for the first time this Saturday (14 July) when Slaviša Jokanović’s side plays Reading in a pre-season friendly at Aldershot Town. Dimitris Karatzas, Chief Executive Officer at Dafabet, commented: “We are delighted to continue our long-lasting presence in the Premier League by partnering with a club full of heritage and tradition.  While the relationship is in the early stages, our initial discussions with the club’s officials have given me every confidence that we share the same passion for football, we’re looking forward to a fruitful and successful partnership.”John Cruces, Head of Sports Marketing and Sponsorship at Dafabet, added: “We’re very proud to announce our partnership with Fulham Football Club who are steeped in tradition being London’s oldest club. Being one of the most recognised Asian brands it was very important to us to continue to be seen in the most watched league in club football, especially seeing more new gaming brands entering football of late.  We’ll be bringing the highest level of experience to the partnership and will engage with both the club and fans, working towards common goals. It goes without saying we look forward to forming a successful relationship, roll on the new season.”Fulham Football Club earned a place in the Premier League, after an absence of four years, by defeating Aston Villa 1-0 in the Championship Play-Off Final at Wembley last May. Pre-season preparations are firmly underway as the team gets ready for the 2018/19 Premier League opener at home against Crystal Palace on Saturday 11 August. As well as presence on the front of playing shirts from 2018/19, Dafabet branding will be visible around Craven Cottage on matchdays and across the Club’s social media and digital channels. There will also be significant engagement opportunities for Dafabet to reach the Club’s domestic and international fan base. Casper Stylsvig, Chief Revenue Officer of Fulham FC reacted to the new partnership: “I am delighted that the Club has been able to benefit from the team’s tremendous success of last season’s promotion to the Premier League by securing a record shirt sponsorship deal. We look forward to enjoying our return to the top flight with Dafabet and working with them to continue to grow the Club’s brand globally.”last_img read more

Hunters on Christmas break

first_imgThe Hunters spent this week training up at the National Sports Institute in Goroka, Eastern Highlands Province.Hunters coach Michael Marum said the players will now go for a break with their families and return to camp in Port Moresby on January 2, 2017.Players started flying out today to their home provinces.Marum said the final 30-man squad will be named shortly after and will be announced once it is approved by Chairman of the PNG Rugby Football League, Sandis Tsaka.last_img

You Could Have Robotic Furniture for the Low Price of 10000

first_img I dunno about you, but I’m really fascinated by home automation. Yeah, it’s a little creepy, having parts of your life more or less managed by machines or computers, but honestly? It’s just nice. I got a great HDMI switch a couple of weeks back that automagically moves to the device I need by figuring out which is sending the most data and therefore most likely to be “active.” It’s dorky, but it’s just the kind of thing I dork out over.Anyway… wouldn’t it be rad if your whole room was like that? That’s the idea behind Ori Systems. It’s basically a motorized room that can adjust and move about based on your needs. You can, for example, configure it so that you have a sprawling mattress to catch your Zs. Then, when it’s time to start the day, you can fold that away and get to work at your desk. Or, you could tuck away the business and bust out the entertainment center.Ori Systems started as an MIT project called CityHome. The idea is to help automate and motorize living spaces to help city dwellers get more efficient use of their space. If you’re not using your bed, you should be able to fold it away and reclaim that area. It could make studios and other compact spaces far, far more livable. Running with the idea of folding, the group rebranded themselves as Ori Systems — named after origami, the Japanese art of folding.Ori – One Room. A Hundred Ways. from Ori on Vimeo.Right now it’s only available to real-estate developers for a whopping $10,000 in major North American cities. Models have been tested in a few apartment complexes and Airbnb spots. Using that, Ori hopes that they’ve got a system that could go a long way towards making cities more comfortable. There are tons of methods of control, from automated systems run on Belkin’s WeMo hardware to simple voice commands via Amazon’s Alexa.There’s only going to be 1,200 units for now, but hopefully, that’ll be enough to start expanding. I know I’m not supposed to editorialize and play up the business I’m covering, but this is Geek, and I think this thing is cool as hell. I want one, even though I could never afford it. But I just… love everything about it and the idea of it, and…. Uggggggggh why does stuff I like have to take time to be a thing? Get Used to ‘Fortnite’s’ Powerful Mech SuitsRobots to Compete in Underground Challenge in Mining Tunnels Stay on targetlast_img read more

Neighbors come out in support of Florida trans woman whose home was

first_imgeTN Chatroom for Readers (join us) ‘Move or die, t*anny f*ck,’ the black spray paint read.What happened?This vandalism came just weeks after Abel began to medically transition.Abel’s wife, Liz, told The Gainesville Sun how the couple was ‘startled’ upon being woken by deputies who discovered the graffiti on Friday, 7 September.Additionally, Liz noted that someone issued a similar threat on a sticky note to them the day before.‘Thursday morning we found a little post-it note that said move or die that’s all it said. By 3 am the next morning they hadn’t even given us a chance to move, our garage door had been spay painted move or die,’ Liz Abel said.‘[Alecia] only recently came out as a trans woman a few months ago and this situation is very surprising considering we haven’t been out and about and we don’t really bother anybody it’s very shocking.’Newberry, Florida is located west of Gainesville. The population of the town is only about 6,000.Supportive neighborsThe Abel family, luckily, has seen the support of fellow Newberry residents. Neighbors have been offering to paint over the graffiti and even to install a security camera in the couple’s home. Read the full article on Gaystarnews:  :https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/alecia-abel-florida-garage-vandalized-trans/ The threatening graffiti on the garage door of Liz and Alecia Abel’s home Alecia Abel, a trans woman living in the small town of Newberry, Florida, recently had her garage vandalized with a threat and a slur.center_img GAYSTARNEWS- Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… One resident, a fellow trans woman named Melina Farley-Barrat, organized a protest of trans violence.‘It’s about changing the culture, people like us who have the ability to show up and be present and say I’m here and I count and I matter,’ Farley-Barrat told WCJB. ‘That’s important for those that just don’t understand to be able to learn from and if we don’t do that then the culture doesn’t change.’‘It’s just really sad and frustrating it angers me, I mean the whole move or die. I was born at Shands I graduated from Newberry high where one of my kids goes today. This is as much my town as anyone else.’In light of this incident, a transgender support group called Tranquility has begun to meet. The group meets every fourth Monday at the Health Street Station in Newberry.The mayor of Newberry even called the couple personally to apologize for the vandalism.‘When I called them, first and foremost, I wanted to know that they were safe. I have respect for [the sheriff’s office] but I wanted to be sure they were taking the threat seriously and everything that could be done to ensure their safety was being done,’ Mayor Jordan Marlowe reportedly said.Anything else?As for Liz and Alecia Abel, the couple says they have no intention of moving.‘I’m not going to move because of this,’ Liz stated. ‘If we move, this is not why.’The Newberry police department is still searching for the perpetrators.Got a news tip? Want to share your story? Email us .last_img read more