All aboard! Jonathan Brody and Scott Burkell will join the one-night-only concert of the Tony-winning musical Titanic at Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall. Brody and Burkell are set to replace the previously announced Michael Mulheren and John Jellison as John B. Thayer and George Widener/Frank Carlson, respectively. Directed by Don Stephenson and featuring original cast members Michael Cerveris and Victoria Clark amongst others, Titanic will play February 17. Based on the real-life disaster of 1912, Maury Yeston and Peter Stone’s Tony-winning musical tells the story of the doomed ocean liner and the travelers aboard the so-called unsinkable ship. The show premiered on Broadway on April 23, 1997 and won five Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book. Titanic’s score includes “Godspeed Titanic,” “The Largest Floating Object in the World” and “I Must Get On that Ship.” Michael Cerveris A separate revival directed by Thom Southerland is set to dock on Broadway this fall. View Comments The cast of Titanic will also include Brian d’Arcy James as Frederick Barrett, Martin Moran as Harold Bride, David Garrison as J. Bruce Ismay, Becky Ann Baker as Charlotte Cardoza, John Bolton as Charles Lightoller, Ryan Silverman as Charles Clarke, Ron Raines as Isidor Straus, Clarke Thorell as Jim Farrell and Jill Paice as Caroline Neville. Victoria Clark Star Files Brian d’Arcy James
The government’s baseline scenario is for economic growth to reach 2.3 percent this year with 2.9 million people losing their jobs. Under a worst-case scenario, however, the government believes the economy could contract by 0.4 percent while 5 million people lose their jobs.“With this kind of crisis, the government must share the burden,” said Febrio, who was previously macroeconomy and trade research head at the University of Indonesia’s Institute for Economic and Social Research (LPEM-UI) before his BKF appointment early this month.He called on banks and businesses to take aggressive action by rolling out funds to combat the meltdown.The government expects the pandemic to peak in the second quarter of this year, with economic growth contracting. Meanwhile, first quarter gross domestic product (GDP) growth is projected at 1.1 percent, he added. “This projection may be wrong if the pandemic lasts longer,” Febrio said. “We will try to contain the virus and lessen the impact but the burden must be shared because the government will not be able to do this alone.”The government has set aside Rp 436.1 trillion for the stimulus, equivalent to 2.5 percent of the country’s GDP, for healthcare spending, social safety nets and business recovery programs so far focusing on manufacturing and tourism.The government will set aside Rp 150 trillion from the stimulus package to support small and medium firms affected by the COVID-19. Febrio did not provide further details as the government was currently formulating the stimulus.The government will also grant larger tax breaks to cover 11 business sectors similar to the incentives designed to allow manufacturing companies to weather the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, including individual income tax exemptions, import tax deferrals and 30 percent corporate tax discounts.The 11 sectors are food, trade, electricity, oil and gas, mining and coal, forestry, tourism and the creative economy, telecommunications, logistics, transportation and construction, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said on Friday.“From an economic standpoint, the COVID-19 shock could damage businesses and cause widespread bankruptcies,” Sri Mulyani said. “We are trying to focus our stimulus to lessen the COVID-19 economic shock on citizens.”Meanwhile, chief economist at private lender Bank Central Asia (BCA) David Sumual said the government’s stimulus package was relatively small compared with other countries including neighboring Singapore and Malaysia, with stimulus packages reaching 12 percent and 17 percent of GDP, respectively.“We are hoping that the government can provide greater stimulus packages for small businesses and low-income households,” David told reporters during the same press briefing. “However, the government’s stimulus needs to be welcomed despite limited fiscal power.”Topics : The Finance Ministry’s fiscal policy agency (BKF) has voiced concerns that the government’s Rp 436.1 trillion (US$28.14 billion) stimulus may be insufficient to prevent economic meltdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.BKF head Febrio Nathan Kacaribu said on Monday that the government was considering whether to boost its stimulus spending as the existing stimulus packages may not be enough to counter the severe economic impacts of the pandemic.“We have doubts that the stimulus packages will be enough,” Febrio told reporters during a teleconferenced press briefing. “The government will anticipate this because there are some discouraging signs.”
The Mayor and City Council (M&CC) has resorted to public donations to raise funds for the restoration of the dilapidated City Hall, and donation boxes will be placed at strategic locations for contributions.Georgetown Mayor Ubraj Narine said in a statement that persons will be able to contribute to the restoration activity since there has not been much progress in recent times.“We want persons to be able to contribute towards saving City Hall if they wish to…City Hall is an important piece of Guyana’s history and there has been lots of talk about rehabilitating the structure, but not much has materialised. I, however, would like to be the one to see City Hall get the attention that is needed so that the structure could be returned to its once prestigious state,” he said.Just last week, Narine gave members of the diplomatic community in Guyana a tour of the city’s dilapidated structures in a bid to solicit funds for City Hall’s restoration. In addition to City Hall, the diplomats also toured the Stabroek Market Wharf, which is on the verge of collapse. A few other sites which were toured included the Municipality Day Care Centre and the City Constabulary Training Centre.On July 8, the Council moved a motion to see the establishment of a Restoration Fund Committee to help fast track the rehabilitation process of the historic building. Although nine committee members were elected, Mayor Narine had informed that this committee will be extended to include other stakeholders such as the private sector, the Chambers of Commerce, the National Trust, the Department of Tourism, civil society, and others.Back in February, the European Union (EU) had handed over a document to the Mayor in relation to the restoration of City Hall’s deplorable structure and ways in which the space can be utilised to garner independent revenues.EU Ambassador to Guyana Jernej Videtic made the presentation to which he stated that some £280,000 was expended to craft the document, bringing new ideas to the restoration project. He noted that some plans include using the historic building as a tourism spot where it can be booked for special events to earn money.The M&CC had pegged the overhaul of the City Hall building at over $400 million. However, other sections have deteriorated further and the administration had opted to constructive a temporary building for staffers.