Stuff.co.nz 7 Dec 2011Child advocates are hailing new laws giving sweeping powers to prosecute all those turning a blind eye to assaults on the very young. The Crimes Amendment Act (No3) becomes law on March 19 and will allow police to charge everyone in a household with failing to protect a child. The maximum sentence is 10 years’ jail. The new law comes as a result of the public outcry following the murder of the Kahui twins for which no-one has been held responsible after a jury acquitted the twins’ father. However, the extended family’s infamous “code of silence” was typical of such cases, pediatricians say. In Taranaki, a serious assault of a 14-month-old, who suffered a fractured skull, was dropped last month for lack of evidence.Starship children’s hospital paediatrician Patrick Kelly welcomes the law which allows everyone in a house where the abuse took place to be charged. The message is that they should have protected the abused child. “If you can’t determine which of the adults in the house did it you charge all of them – or none of them.” However, the law change should have gone further, he said. The code of silence within families was an issue throughout the world. In Britain, the same “failing to protect” law was implemented but went further to limit the right to silence. “The UK has shown it’s possible to modify the law. For some reason New Zealand did not follow through with changing the right to silence.”http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6097019/Tougher-law-to-protect-children-hailed
The New York Post was first to report that the 60-year-old Davis won’t be on site at Citi Field for the beginning of practices because of concerns about the coronavirus.“The timeline for him to join us is uncertain yet,” new Mets manager Luis Rojas said on a video call Thursday.The Post, citing anonymous sources in its report, said Davis does not have the virus.Rojas said all other coaches and players have reported for intake screening. Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater will substitute on site for Davis, who lives in Arizona during the offseason.“I think we’re going to get the best of Chili whether he’s with us at the start of camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we’re in constant communication. Chili and I practically talk every day and he’s in communication with the coaches,” Rojas said. “So he’s going to be helping us. He’s a great asset, he’s got great knowledge, great experience. He helps the players with hitting, with playing the game. He helps the coaches as well with his view of the game. So he is going to be working remotely and we’re going to feel his presence.” Djokovic was the fourth player to come down with the virus after participating in matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.___Swiss soccer club St. Gallen says a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.The Swiss league leaders say they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while recovering from a serious knee injury.The 22-year-old forward tested positive upon his return. The club says he does not have symptoms and is in self-quarantine. The Latest: Mets hitting coach off-site when camp opens St. Gallen says Babić has not had contact with his teammates.Attention on Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases followed Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players testing positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The virtual race is open for those who had already registered for the real one, which was scheduled for April 20 and then put off until Sept. 14 before it was canceled.The Boston Athletic Association says it is encouraging the more than 10,000 volunteers who had signed up to give back to their communities in another way. They can receive their volunteer jacket or donate it to a front-line worker.___The French Open will be held with fans when it starts in September.The French Tennis Federation has written on Twitter that tickets will go on sale to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not give more information as to how many fans will be allowed at Roland Garros for the Sept. 27-Oct. Oct. 11 tournament. The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared by staff for delivery.Wimbledon says it is a “small gesture of appreciation for the dedicated service of the NHS during what would have been The Championships Fortnight.”Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II because of the pandemic. The tournament had been scheduled to start on Monday.The link between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy but the main theory has to do with timing. Strawberry season in Britain just happens to coincide with the tennis tournament.Cream is optional. The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signings, will be honored.___Finishers of the virtual Boston Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of having a volunteer drape it around their necks on Boylston Street.Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners will have from Sept. 7-14 to complete the 26.2-mile distance and submit proof. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one continuous run.Also included in the post-race package will be a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___New York Mets hitting coach Chili Davis will continue working remotely when the team’s summer camp opens Friday. The clay-court tournament had been scheduled to start on May 24. It then got postponed to Sept. 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then pushed back another week.The FFT has prepared a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of fans.___West Indies cricket coach Phil Simmons has mixed with his squad again in Manchester after passing his latest test for the coronavirus.Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had been self-isolating in his hotel room at Old Trafford. He had been watching the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony but was allowed to interact with his players after passing a third consecutive virus test.The first test against England starts on Wednesday.___The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has led to a “berry” big boon for health care workers in London.The All England Club says it will donate 200 portions of strawberries to workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic every day. Associated Press ___Boise State is cutting its baseball and women’s swimming and diving programs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.The program cuts, along with additional department and program operating reductions, will reduce the overall athletic budget by nearly $3 million.“This is one of the hardest decisions athletic departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey said in a statement Thursday.The cut to baseball comes after the program was recently reinstated. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was being added after it had been discontinued following the 1980 season. The 2020 season was Boise State’s return, but the Broncos played only 14 games before the season was canceled. July 2, 2020 ___Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the pandemic.His media team says “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade.”The statement says both had no symptoms and that they were in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since testing positive 10 days ago.
Dodgers manager Dave Roberts platooned Pederson with right-handed Trayce Thompson during the first half of last season and limited Pederson’s playing time against left-handed pitching (he had just 77 plate appearances against lefties all season). This spring, Roberts has said Pederson will get more at-bats against lefties in 2017 based on the desire to keep his glove in center field and faith that Pederson will improve against left-handers.“Both,” Roberts said. “Obviously, we like his glove out there in center field and his ability to slug.”Pederson finished second among last year’s Dodgers (to Corey Seager) in slugging percentage (.512), OPS (.847) and OPS-plus (129). None of that damage was done against left-handed pitching, however. Pederson was 8 for 64 (.125) with 22 strikeouts and hit just one of his 25 home runs against left-handers.Pederson asserts he doesn’t have a problem with left-handers despite a .178 average in two big-league seasons against them – “I mean, I hit .300 off them my last year in Triple-A,” he said. Instead, his offseason focus was on making some adjustments heading into his third season that will give him a more mechanically sound swing regardless of what kind of pitching he is facing.“I think if your body is not in a good position, you’re not going to hit. With any approach you have,” Pederson said. “So I needed to make some mechanical changes to get myself into a better hitting position. And when you have that in order, you can move on to your approach and focus on how pitchers are attacking you. “These pitchers are good and they know how to throw it to certain locations and if you’re not able to hit those locations, you’re an out. So you’ve got to mechanically get in a good spot.”Roberts sees a more consistent “path to the ball” from Pederson this spring and “more consistency with his approach.” Pederson homered to lead off the game against the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday, his third home run in the Cactus League (no other Dodger has more than one).“With Joc, even if you go back to last spring, there was a lot of tinkering and really trying to figure out what works best for him,” Roberts said. “The second after the season ended, he made an adjustment with his swing. There’s a little step-back thing going and it gets him in a good position to fire. I think from that point on he kind of found a baseline for his swing mechanically. Then outside of that an approach piece, a plan piece.“Every hitter is different. The important thing is when he gets to that point to where he’s ready to fire on the baseball, his hands are in a consistent position. That’s where he’s at right now.”TV guideThe Dodgers, Spectrum Networks and KTLA reached agreement to simulcast SportsNet LA’s broadcast of 10 early-season games on the Los Angeles station, making them available to a wider audience as the Dodgers’ distribution stalemate enters a fourth season.The 10 games made available are April 5 (vs. the Padres), April 9 (at Colorado), April 12 (at Wrigley Field), April 16 (vs. the Diamondbacks), April 18 and 19 (vs. the Rockies), April 23 (at Arizona), April 30 (vs. the Phillies), May 3 (vs. the Giants) and May 7 (at San Diego).Return dateRoberts said Corey Seager (back), Andre Ethier (back) and Andrew Toles (hyperextended right knee) are expected to play again Saturday after sitting out most of this week with minor injuries. In Seager’s case, he has played just three games with six plate appearances this spring.“For us, it’s fine,” Roberts said. “Spring training is long as it is, especially on the position players’ side. … Obviously we expect him to play a lot this season. So for him to essentially get a week to be down is not the worst thing.”Last spring, Seager was missed the final 19 days of the Cactus League schedule, played in the Freeway Series — and then led the Dodgers in games played (157) and plate appearances (687) in the regular season. GLENDALE, Ariz. >> Brian Urlacher might be coming out of retirement again.Late last season, Dodgers center fielder Joc Pederson took to wearing a face guard on his helmet for at-bats against left-handed pitchers. Pederson joked that the face guard made him feel like the retired Chicago Bears linebacker.It did more than that. It gave Pederson a visual cue to “keep my front shoulder in longer and be able to use the whole field” against lefties. Pederson said he has ordered another face guard from the equipment manufacturer and might wear it again this season.If so, that face guard could get more exposure. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
A woman of Indian origin was found murdered at her home in the region of West Midlands on Feb. 16 in what is believed to be a case of botched robbery. No arrests have been made so far, said the police, according to reports.Sarbjit Kaur’s family members found her unconscious inside their house at Rookery Lane in Wolverhampton. Kaur, 38, was a mother of two children. She was married to Gurpreet Singh, 42, the director of a company that runs Dhanda Properties UK Ltd., Dailymail.co.uk reported.Kaur was assaulted and was declared dead at the scene when the paramedics came and examined her, according to the police. The cause of death could not be ascertained after the post-mortem examination.It was also suggested that some items were taken from the sprawling four-bedroom property worth £250,000.“Mrs Kaur was attacked inside her own home. This is a shocking case, the likes of which are extremely rare, and we have a team of officers working on this murder enquiry to establish what happened and to finding the person or people responsible,” said Chris Mallett, the Detective Chief Inspector leading the murder investigation.He added that the motive so far is unclear. “I’m keeping an open mind regards the circumstances, we are investigating several lines of enquiry including whether this was a random burglary or if the address or Mrs Kaur were deliberately targeted,” he said.Mallett also revealed that interior of the house was in an untidy state, implying that it had been searched. “We believe that some items are missing. We are working with the family to understand exactly what items were taken,” he added.The police also carried out close-circuit television scans and conducted house-to-house enquiries. An extensive forensic inspection of the scene is also being carried out, along with working with the family to know Kaur’s movement that day.“I would urge anyone who saw anything suspicious on Friday, no matter how insignificant it may seem, to contact my team on 101,” Mallett said. The police urged people to make sure that their homes are locked and are secured after the reported burglary attempt.The neighborhood is shocked after the incident, with people calling it a peaceful area. The family had been living in the neighborhood for five years. Related ItemsBritainUnited States