Indonesia’s National Olympic Committee (NOC) has submitted a budget plan to the government for the construction of an Indonesian Village, also called the House of Indonesia, in Tokyo in an effort to garner support for its bid to host the 2032 Olympics.The village will be built on a 1,500-square-meter plot of land close to the athlete’s village in Harumi, Chou-ku, Tokyo, during this year’s Summer Olympics, scheduled to begin on July 24 and end on Aug. 9.“We need a budget of around Rp 200 billion [US$14 million] to build the infrastructure,” NOC chairperson Raja Sapta Oktohari said on Tuesday. Topics : He added that the figure was a rough estimate because the NOC still had to meet with relevant stakeholders to discuss the plan. The committee, however, had completed the Indonesian Village’s design, he went on to say.“The location for the village is strategic as it will be located next to Nike’s [booth in the athlete’s village]. We are waiting for the government to disburse its funding to start the construction,” said Okto.Read also: Indonesia to build world-class training facility for 2032 Olympics, NOC saysThe committee is planning to hold a meeting in the coming week with relevant stakeholders regarding the Indonesian Village, including President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, so the installation will finish in time for the 2020 Olympics. Although the Olympics is five months away, Okto said he was not worried and remained optimistic that the House of Indonesia construction would be complete by May.“The construction will be quick, taking only two months. The only difficulty is regarding the permit. However, we will finish by May. We will make it as concise and effective as possible,” said Okto.The House of Indonesia will serve as one of the promotional steps taken by the government in its bid to host the 2032 Olympics.Indonesian Ambassador to Switzerland Muliaman Hadad submitted a formal bid letter from Jokowi to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Lausanne in February last year. The government said hosting the 2032 summer games could be an opportunity for Indonesia to show its capability as a major country. (rdi)
Pit gates open at 5 p.m. on Friday, with the grandstand gates opening at 6 p.m. Hot laps begin at 7:30 p.m. and racing will start at 8 p.m. Four sanctioned divisions will begin championship battles. Opening night will feature the IMCA Modifieds, IMCA RaceSaver Sprint Cars, IMCA Sunoco Stock Cars and Karl Kustoms Northern SportMods. OSBORN, Mo. – US 36 Raceway is set to open the season this Friday, April 5 with the start of the season championship chase. U.S. 36 has used the offseason to make numerous improvements to the race track. This season U.S. 36 will use transponders to score each race, while also making live timing and scoring available to race fans and crews via the MyRacePass app. Follow US 36 Raceway on social media @US36raceway on Twitter, @us36raceway on Instagram and like us in Facebook at US 36 Raceway Dirt Track. US 36 Raceway can be found online at http://www.us36racewaydirttrack.com/ for news, results, points, tickets and more. Pit passes for the event are $35. General admission is $15, senior and military is $12, children 7-12 are $5 and children six years old and younger are free. Tickets can be purchased online through MyRacePass at https://market.myracepass.com/store/tickets/?store=17636. US 36 Raceway is located at 9850 MO-33, Osborn, Mo.
The New York Post was first to report that the 60-year-old Davis won’t be on site at Citi Field for the beginning of practices because of concerns about the coronavirus.“The timeline for him to join us is uncertain yet,” new Mets manager Luis Rojas said on a video call Thursday.The Post, citing anonymous sources in its report, said Davis does not have the virus.Rojas said all other coaches and players have reported for intake screening. Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater will substitute on site for Davis, who lives in Arizona during the offseason.“I think we’re going to get the best of Chili whether he’s with us at the start of camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we’re in constant communication. Chili and I practically talk every day and he’s in communication with the coaches,” Rojas said. “So he’s going to be helping us. He’s a great asset, he’s got great knowledge, great experience. He helps the players with hitting, with playing the game. He helps the coaches as well with his view of the game. So he is going to be working remotely and we’re going to feel his presence.” Djokovic was the fourth player to come down with the virus after participating in matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.___Swiss soccer club St. Gallen says a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.The Swiss league leaders say they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while recovering from a serious knee injury.The 22-year-old forward tested positive upon his return. The club says he does not have symptoms and is in self-quarantine. The Latest: Mets hitting coach off-site when camp opens St. Gallen says Babić has not had contact with his teammates.Attention on Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases followed Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players testing positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The virtual race is open for those who had already registered for the real one, which was scheduled for April 20 and then put off until Sept. 14 before it was canceled.The Boston Athletic Association says it is encouraging the more than 10,000 volunteers who had signed up to give back to their communities in another way. They can receive their volunteer jacket or donate it to a front-line worker.___The French Open will be held with fans when it starts in September.The French Tennis Federation has written on Twitter that tickets will go on sale to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not give more information as to how many fans will be allowed at Roland Garros for the Sept. 27-Oct. Oct. 11 tournament. The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared by staff for delivery.Wimbledon says it is a “small gesture of appreciation for the dedicated service of the NHS during what would have been The Championships Fortnight.”Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II because of the pandemic. The tournament had been scheduled to start on Monday.The link between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy but the main theory has to do with timing. Strawberry season in Britain just happens to coincide with the tennis tournament.Cream is optional. The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signings, will be honored.___Finishers of the virtual Boston Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of having a volunteer drape it around their necks on Boylston Street.Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners will have from Sept. 7-14 to complete the 26.2-mile distance and submit proof. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one continuous run.Also included in the post-race package will be a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___New York Mets hitting coach Chili Davis will continue working remotely when the team’s summer camp opens Friday. The clay-court tournament had been scheduled to start on May 24. It then got postponed to Sept. 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then pushed back another week.The FFT has prepared a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of fans.___West Indies cricket coach Phil Simmons has mixed with his squad again in Manchester after passing his latest test for the coronavirus.Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had been self-isolating in his hotel room at Old Trafford. He had been watching the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony but was allowed to interact with his players after passing a third consecutive virus test.The first test against England starts on Wednesday.___The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has led to a “berry” big boon for health care workers in London.The All England Club says it will donate 200 portions of strawberries to workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic every day. Associated Press ___Boise State is cutting its baseball and women’s swimming and diving programs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.The program cuts, along with additional department and program operating reductions, will reduce the overall athletic budget by nearly $3 million.“This is one of the hardest decisions athletic departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey said in a statement Thursday.The cut to baseball comes after the program was recently reinstated. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was being added after it had been discontinued following the 1980 season. The 2020 season was Boise State’s return, but the Broncos played only 14 games before the season was canceled. July 2, 2020 ___Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the pandemic.His media team says “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade.”The statement says both had no symptoms and that they were in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since testing positive 10 days ago.