PMA Superintendent Lieutenant Genenral Ronnie Evangelista MANILA – The head of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) has quit from his post following the suspected hazing death of Cadet 4th Class Darwin Dormitorio last week. “In the military tradition of command responsibility, it is now the proper time for me, as the head of this institution, together with the commandant of the Corps of Cadets to relinquish our respective positions,” Evangelista said. “We welcome this development as a right step towards upholding the integrity of the PMA as the country’s premier military institution and recognize the same as a form of genuine delicadeza on the part of Lieutenant General Evangelista,” Panelo said in a statement. “I did not leave my post in the midst of crisis. I faced the problems squarely and we have finished the investigation. As I resign from my post, it is now up to the proper authority to decide on the finality of the case. That for me is the definition of command responsibility,” he added. PMA Superintendent Lieutenant Genenral Ronnie Evangelista on Tuesday announced his resignation, a day after saying that only President Rodrigo Duterte can order him to quit. Aside from Evangelista, also resigning is the commandant of the Corps of Cadets Brigadier General Bartolome Vicente Bacarro. While he awaits orders for his replacement, Evangelista will prepare the separation papers of four senior cadets allegedly responsible for beating up Dormitorio. Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo, who earlier asked for Evangelista’s resignation, has commended the latter for his move, which was a “right step” to preserving the integrity of the state’s premier military school. Dormitorio died on Sept. 18 from cardiac arrest secondary to internal injuries due to supposed hazing within the campus. Two other cadets were rushed in different hospital after complaining for abdominal pain. The Palace spokesperson has also assured Dormitorio’s family that there will be “no whitewash” in the ongoing investigation./PN
Moradi denied the allegations in court. He and Brees had a 15-year business relationship. Attorney Andrew Kim, who co-represented the Breeses, expressed support for the jury’s decision. Related News A jury has awarded New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his wife $6.13 million in a lawsuit claiming a San Diego-area jeweler sold them overpriced diamonds.Brees and his wife, Brittany, had sued Vihad Moradi of CJ Charles Jewelers in La Jolla, California, claiming he misled them about the value of $15 million in diamonds they purchased as an investment. Saints offering $18M per year, Michael Thomas wants $22M, report says Colts owner Jim Irsay spends record $3.975M on Pink Floyd guitar “It was our position that Mr. Moradi breached his fiduciary duty, and that’s essentially what the jury said,” Kim said (via the San Diego Union-Tribune). “They saw Mr. Moradi for exactly what he is: a grifter and a confidence man.”Brees played for the San Diego Chargers from 2001 through 2004 before signing as a free agent with the Saints.