Blogs

Congress push back approval of final 2020 budget

first_img Earlier this month, President Duterte urged the Senate and the House to pass the national budget by December to avoid what happen to this year’s budget, which was four months delayed. Lawmakers are pushing back their target date for the approval of the final version of the P4.1-trillion national budget for 2020 by at least one day after senators asked for more time to review the fiscal plan. “If there were no hitches, the Senate can ratify the bicameral version of the 2020 national budget on Wednesday or even on Tuesday,” Sotto added. MANILA – The Senate and the House of Representatives is about to beat President Rodrigo Duterte’s deadline of submitting the ratified version of the 2020 national budget by December. Senate President Vicente “Tito” Sotto III also said they eye approving the final version of the budget on Wednesday at the latest “if [there are] no hitches.” Senate Finance committee chairman Juan Edgardo “Sonny” Angara  said Monday that about 90 percent of the conflicting provisions of the two chambers of the Congress in next year’s budget were reconciled. “We are approximately 90 to 95% reconciled with the House,” Angara said. “Sen. [Panfilo] Lacson’s proposals like placing some limits on administrative costs and having the possibility of greater local projects have also been adopted in some form in the budget provisions.”   Duterte was only able to sign the 2019 budget into law in April after the Senate and House took time to transmit the signed enrolled copy of the bill over disagreements on lawmakers’ insertions./PN According to Angara, the Senate and House contingents for the bicameral conference committee on next year’s national budget are about to meet again on Tuesday to iron out the remaining disagreeing provisions.last_img read more

Lopez Pulls Out of the Olympic Games

first_imgLopez said he was concerned about the demands of the calendar, with the Olympics coming in the middle of the North American hard-court season leading up to the US Open. The 34-year-old wrote on his Facebook page: “I want to communicate my resignation to participate in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games based on the calendar, and with the aim of having the best possible tournaments this summer and especially in the US.”I have always felt a special pride in representing Spain in all competitions and this has therefore been a very difficult decision.Lopez came close to podium success during the London Olympics with partner David Ferrer that saw the duo placed fourth in the doubles.“Both Games gave me the opportunity to live an unforgettable experience as an athlete.I now hope other colleagues who perhaps have not had the opportunity to represent Spain in Olympic Games can enjoy the same. I wish them all luck in Rio.”Deciding to concentrate on other tournaments, Lopez will not be joining 2008 Olympic champion Rafael Nadal, who has been selected to carry the Spanish flag at the Opening Ceremony on August 5.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Spanish tennis player Feliciano Lopez has announced he will not take part in the 2016 Rio Olympics due to scheduling challenges.The world No 23, who would have been a likely choice for the Spanish Olympic Committee, has previously reached two Olympic Games in 2004 and 2012, but failed to win a medal on either occasion.last_img read more