A group of small and medium business owners have filed a class-action lawsuit against President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo and Health Minister Terawan Agus Putranto for what they perceive to be the government’s negligence in handling the COVID-19 pandemic, which has taken a toll on their livelihoods.The lawsuit was filed by group representative Enggal Pamukty at the Central Jakarta District Court.“It’s true that I submitted a lawsuit against President Jokowi for [the government’s] fatal negligence in handling COVID-19,” Enggal said on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com. He said the government had failed to take the necessary precautions in the early stages of the viral outbreak as it had allocated its resources to promoting tourism instead.Read also: Turf war undermines COVID-19 fight in Indonesia“If only the central government had been serious in mitigating the COVID-19 situation from the start, fellow business owners and I would have still been able to make a living,” Enggal said. “[The situation] has deprived us of income, yet the government has yet to provide support.”The six plaintiffs demanded financial compensation of Rp 12 billion (US$710,757) for material losses and Rp 10 million for immaterial losses.Jokowi’s response to the current health emergency has previously been met with criticism among the public. A recent report compiled by Staqo Analytics showed that, from March 23 to 30, “around 59 percent of coverage and discussions on online media and news sites using the keyword ‘Jokowi’ received negative responses from the public”.The President has repeatedly rejected the idea of imposing a lockdown on Jakarta, the epicenter of Indonesia’s COVID-19 epidemic, despite mounting calls from scientists and public health experts ahead of the approaching Idul Fitri holiday.As of Wednesday, Indonesia had reported a total of 1,677 confirmed COVID-19 cases, with 157 deaths. (rfa)Topics :
Wellington Police notes for Tuesday,Â December 9, 2014:â€¢8:55 a.m.Â Shannon A Kelly, 41, Peck, Ks was issued a notice to appear charged with speeding 59 mph in a 40 mph zone.â€¢10:18 a.m. Jessica L. Jones, 19, Lewisville, Texas was issued a notice to appear charge with speeding 62 mph in a 40 mph zone.â€¢10:41 a.m.Â Officers took report of found currency in the 900 block of W. 8th.â€¢1:03 p.m. Officers investigated possession of marijuana in the 1700 block of E. 16th.â€¢5:14 p.m. Cody J. Davis, 24,Wellington was served a notice to appear charged with operating a motor vehicle with no insurance and spilling a load on the highway.â€¢5:21 p.m. Russell B. Rains, 29, Wellington was served a notice to appear charged with criminal trespass and battery.â€¢ 6:46 p.m. Officers investigated a non-injury accident at 8th and G, involving vehicles operated by Jeremie D. Hartson, 36, Wellington and Lonnie D. Jacobs, 49, Wellington.â€¢7:15 p.m. Jeremie D. Hartson, 36, Wellington was issued a notice to appear charged with failure to yield right of way in involved accident.â€¢10 a.m. Officers investigatedÂ a case for care and treatment.â€¢ 9:17 p.m. Officers investigated an unattended death in the 1700 block of N. A.
A woman was removed from a cruise ship last week and banned for life by the cruise company, after she was seen climbing onto her room’s balcony railing to pose for a photo over the ocean.The incident occurred aboard the Royal Caribbean ship Allure of the Seas, as it was approaching the port at Labadee, Haiti.The unnamed woman was spotted by another passenger, Peter Blosic, who alerted the crew.He says, “While on my balcony, I saw the woman climb on her railing. It happened so quickly. Not knowing what her intentions were, I alerted the crew. If I said nothing, and she was going to jump, that would be horrible.”Blosic posted a picture of the woman wearing a blue bathing suit with her hands over her head on social media. The ship’s crew tracked down the woman and removed her when the ship docked in Falmouth, Jamaica, according to Blosic.A Royal Caribbean spokesperson released a statement which reads:“Earlier this week on the Allure of the Seas a guest was observed recklessly and dangerously posing for a photo by standing on her stateroom balcony railing with the help of her companion. Security was notified and the guests were later debarked in Falmouth, Jamaica as a result of their actions and are now banned for life from sailing with Royal Caribbean.”On its website, the cruise line explains that “sitting, standing, laying or climbing on, over or across any exterior or interior railings or other protective barriers” is not allowed, for guests’ own safety.
Bigfoot is at large!Boynton Beach Police say someone made off with an 8-foot, 300-pound statue of Sasquatch.It used to stand in front of “Mattress Monsterz” on East Boynton Beach Boulevard.The store owner said he did not discover the theft immediately becauseBigfoot stood among multiple decorations on display for Halloween.There is no surveillance video of the theft, which is believed to have taken place during the week of Oct. 6-13.But the store hopes someone spots Bigfoot and calls the police.The statue is worth about $3,000.“If you have any information, call Crime Stoppers at 800-458-TIPS.” “You will remain anonymous and could receive a cash reward if your tip leads to an arrest.”
On Tuesday a Palm Beach County judge declared a mistrial in the high profile murder trial of a former Palm Beach County deputy who was accused of shooting and killing his son-in-law in 2018.The retired officer, Carlton Nebergall Jr., is charged with first-degree murder after he shot and killed Jacob Lodge. Nebergall claimed it was an act of self defense.The arrest report stated that Nebergall’s daughter claimed her husband Lodge showed up to her home to exchange clothing for their two children, and Nebergall walked out as Lodge attempted to leave the house and shot him.On Monday Nebergall said that Lodge had a violent history. He told the jury he walked outside that night with a loaded revolver and fired a warning shot into the air. Lodge then left and later returned in an attempt to “look for something.” That’s when Nebergall said he “feared for his life” and shot Lodge in the head.Attorneys said the mistrial was declared on Tuesday because a juror was on his cell phone as the defense team was delivering their closing arguments. The jury was dismissed, and a brand new jury will have to be picked later on.
Boynton Beach police say a man called them after he allegedly stabbed the person he attempted to rob.Police received a phone call from West Palm Beach resident Victor Morel on Saturday night, claiming that he had been shot at two times around the area of SE 23rd Avenue and South Seacrest Boulevard. Morel also told them that he had stabbed a person at 2039 South Seacrest Boulevard, and refused to meet with law enforcement.Officers responding to 2039 South Seacrest Boulevard found two spent shell casings in the parking lot. They also discovered an empty holster, loose amphetamine pills and a blood trail close to the front door of an apartment at that address.The victim was taken to Bethesda Memorial Hospital with a stab wound to his upper back and an abrasion to the right side of his head. He was later transported to the Delray Medical Trauma Center for a collapsed lung.When Morel eventually agreed to meet with police, he told them that he met the victim on a social media app called “Grindr.”He added that he had heard the victim was a drug dealer, and his intentions when meeting the victim were to “make some money off of him.”Morel also admitted that they met at the victim’s argument and got into an argument there.According to police, Morel admitted striking the victim in the head with a closed fist, causing the victim to fall to the ground.The arrest report adds that Morel then grabbed a briefcase filled with methamphetamine and struck the victim again before running out the front door.Morel stabbed the victim, who had managed to get a hold of a firearm.The other man fired two shots as Morel drove away, hitting the front windshield and driver’s side window.Police contacted the victim at the hospital, who told them that Morel had attempted to rob him of his wallet, but he put up a fight.The victim added that Morel stabbed him in the back, forcing him to pull out his firearm and shoot.Morel is charged with Robbery and Aggravated Battery.He was booked into the Palm Beach County Jail, and there is no word on any charges against the victim.