The Guyana Fire Service (GFS) has recorded over 700 fires already for the year, but this number is a reduction when compared to the statistics of that same period for 2018.Students experiencing the rescue truckThis was revealed by Divisional Officer of Operations for the GFS, Gregory Wickham during the Fire Prevention Week activities at D’Urban Park on Friday.“To date, we would have seen a deduction in the number of fires. We have, for this year so far, 700 plus fires. Last year, we would have gone over that by about 150 so indeed, there is a reduction,” Wickham informed.Divisional Officer of Operations, Gregory WickhamSpeaking on the types of incidents they would have analysed so far, residential fires topped the list, followed by grass fires. During the dry season, careless dumping of lighted materials, such as cigarette ends, would have contributed to these events.“We had a whole lot of those fires which were residential and then coming in the second position would have been grass fires or what we call rubbish fires. When the place was very hot, for some reasons, persons were carelessly disposing of lighted cigarette ends which would have lent to these grass fires,” he conveyed.For Fire Prevention Week 2019, D’Urban Park was transformed into an informal learning setting, where stakeholders were educated about the dynamics of fires and the functions of the fire service.Fire tenders and scores of firefighters were present at the site, ready to give advice. On display were a wide selection of tools and safety gears which are used by the GFS. While some stakeholders were surprised by the degree of effort it takes to carry out these operations, some were thrilled at the experience.According to the Divisional Officer, these activities help to lower the alarming figures.“It would help us in our stats first, and then when we get the understanding, we do open opportunities for persons to do investigative work so that we’d be able to put in place systems to prevent reoccurrences of those types of fires.”Members of the public and school-aged persons were briefed on practices which they should avoid on a daily basis.“Participating in those events, you learn a whole lot on firefighting and fire prevention. The purpose of this fair is to capture a wider cross-section of persons, our students especially and members of the community,” Wickham insisted.Last April, the “dry spell” experienced during that time had resulted in approximately 48 bush fires within the township of Linden, Region 10 (Upper Demerara-Berbice) community. The fire department had issued warnings to members of the community to desist from lighting bush fires.
It’s a very different USC team from a week ago, with five key juniors off to the NFL draft despite the best lobbying efforts of Trojans coach Pete Carroll. “This is the single biggest mass exodus in history,” agent Leigh Steinberg said. “It was the perfect storm, really.” Tailbacks Reggie Bush and LenDale White, the seventh and eighth all-time rushers in school history, are gone along with offensive tackle Winston Justice, safety Darnell Bing both Poly High graduates and offensive guard Fred Matua, a Banning High product. Bing has not hired an agent but will have a panel screen prospective candidates. Justice said he isn’t worried that NFL teams will shy away from him because of off-field incidents during his USC career. He was suspended for the 2004 season after flashing a pellet gun at another student and arrested in 2003 for soliciting a prostitute in Long Beach. “I feel very, very prepared,” Justice said. “The teams will see my true character. The teams will see that.” He doesn’t know where he will get drafted but the NFL projected him between the 10th and 20th picks in its evaluation. “I’m very confident in my talents,” Justice said. “The draft is crazy. I really don’t know. I thought I had a pretty solid season. Sometimes I struggled.” Trojan tidbits Defensive line coach Jethro Franklin said he hasn’t received any offers from NFL teams for assistant coaching positions. Franklin’s a natural candidate since he spent the previous five seasons in Green Bay, but he aspires to become a head coach and was a finalist for the San Diego State job. Offensive line coach Pat Ruel already turned down a job offer from the Packers. Prep fullback Stanley Havili of Salt Lake City, Utah, committed to USC on Sunday night. Havili (6-feet, 208 pounds) is ranked the third-best fullback in the country by Rivals.com and selected the Trojans over Brigham Young. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! But Justice said Monday his departure will not be terribly difficult to overcome for the Trojans, even though he was considered the most-naturally gifted offensive lineman. “You have a bunch of tackles that can replace me easily,” he said. “Charles Brown, Kyle Williams. I don’t think the team will take a hit. No one knows how deep this team is.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Justice said Monday he decided a couple days after the Rose Bowl he would turn pro even though he did not officially notify the NFL until Friday. “Nothing’s really guaranteed in the draft,” he said. “But the opportunity is here now.” He will now select either Steinberg or David Dunn as his agent, after originally deciding to sign with Peter Schaffer. Justice held a press conference Monday at USC that was supposed to include Bing, but Bing skipped it after asking Justice right beforehand to delay the official announcement until Wednesday. Justice said Bing thought he would get more media coverage if the announcement were Wednesday, even though his decision to turn pro would be old news by midweek.
Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Paqueta is regarded as one of Brazil’s brightest young talents and he’s already been linked with a move to Europe Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? Able to play on the wing or in an attacking midfield role, Paqueta has scored six goals and created a further four in 28 appearances this season, and his playmaking abilities – primarily his eye for an incisive pass – have seen Paqueta likened to Brazil great Kaka.Earlier this year, Paqueta was linked with moves to Premier League duo Manchester City and Liverpool, with both clubs said to be ready to trigger the £40million release clause written in his contract. Manchester United have become the latest team to express interest in signing Lucas Paqueta, according to reports.Paqueta, the midfielder, has quickly established himself as one of the finest young players in Brazil and he was rewarded for his performances for Flamengo by making his international debut earlier this month. RANKED Latest transfer news Lucas Paquetá (21) is the only player to complete 50+ tackles, 40+ dribbles, and 25+ key passes in Brasileirão this season.Feliz Aniversário! 🔴⚫ pic.twitter.com/yJhjAopkVY— Scouted Football (@ScoutedFtbl) August 27, 2018There is talk Paqueta could sign a new contract with Flamengo that will raise his release clause to £63million, meaning interested parties must move fast if they want to capture the wonderkid for the current £40million clause. Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January IN DEMAND Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star targets However, Le10 Sport say Man United have now entered the race for the 21-year-old, along with Paris Saint-Germain, Barcelona and AC Milan.United and PSG are reported to be pushing hardest for Paqueta, and it is expected there will be a ‘duel’ between the two clubs in the battle to sign the midfielder when the transfer window reopens in January. LATEST moving on REVEALED LIVING THE DREAM targets Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti 1 TOP WORK Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade three-way race