Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Nassau County police are taking an investigation into a string of armed robberies and a related homicide to the streets.Several members of the police brass joined Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano outside a BP gas station in Jericho on Friday to unveil a giant school-bus sized mobile billboard requesting information that will help an army of investigators find the brazen, gun-toting robber, who has targeted at least 11 businesses, mostly gas stations, in Nassau since mid December.“Nassau County Crime Stoppers needs your help!” the billboard blares in large white letters.Crime Stoppers is offering a combined $35,000 reward—$25,000 for the homicide and $10,000 for the robberies—for information leading to the arrest of the suspect.Mangano, standing at a podium in front of the billboard on the gas station’s property, said police are asking the public to help “bring this cold-blooded killer to justice.”The moving billboard will be driven to the areas where the robberies have occurred, police said. Officials hope this effort will breathe new life into the investigation and perhaps attract the attention of individuals who have crucial information regarding the suspect.“This person has struck every day of the week,” said Chief of Detectives Kevin Smith, describing how the suspect operates. “Our resolve is intact,” Smith added. “It’s not diminished. We’re going to catch this guy.”Police officials are hoping the public can help with their cause.“Don’t hesitate” to call, Smith implored.An armed assailant, pictured in these surveillance images, is believed to be responsible for nine robberies and one homicide since December, police said.The suspect, who is still unknown to police, is responsible for 10 robberies in the county, beginning on Dec. 20 last year and continuing into February. The suspect last struck on Feb. 18, stealing cash from a Sunoco gas station on Hempstead Turnpike in East Meadow.Investigators believe the suspect is also responsible for the fatal shooting of 57-year-old Levittown resident Hany Awad, who was gunned down on Jan. 28 inside the same BP gas station where officials held Friday’s press conference. Police have yet to say what, if anything, was taken from the gas station during the homicide.The suspect is described as a black man between 5-feet, 11-inches and 6-feet tall, with a thin build, wearing all black Nike clothing, a black mask, black gloves, black Nike sneakers with red laces and armed with either a black or a silver revolver. The assailant has hit nine gas stations and two 7-Eleven stores in Westbury, Hicksville, and Jericho. The robbery in East Meadow was the only one committed outside those three neighborhoods.Both the robbery and homicides squads are investigating the crime spree. The Major Case Bureau and Bureau of Special Operations are also assisting in the investigation.Anyone with information regarding these crimes can call Crime Stopper sat 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
“Especially for the youth in track and field because I think injury has always been a problem for youth coming up, and I also would like them to get better care. I also would like to stick with the track and field and stay as close as possible to track and field, so that’s one thing,” he explained of his retirement plans. Bolt was responding to questions on his first day on the job as Digicel’s chief speed officer, at the Digicel’s regional headquarters, downtown Kingston. The iconic sprinter, widely regarded as one of the greatest ever, said, “I will also be working with Digicel to make sure I keep the high standards of the past.” He stressed that it was important to leave the sport while on top. “For me, I have done everything I wanted to do. I have accomplished all my goals. When you accomplish all your goals, there’s no reason to stick around in a sport when you don’t have the drive, or you don’t have no more goals. You should just leave the sport,” he pointed out. BETTER CARE Nine-time Olympic gold medallist, Usain Bolt, says upon retirement, he will be giving back to the sport, as he looks to open a sports clinic here in Jamaica. The world’s fastest man of all time, who has been unbeaten over three successive Olympics, will now turn his attention to the IAAF World Championships in London next year, after which he is expected to retire officially from the sport, at age 31. Bolt is the only track and field athlete to defend his Olympic titles at three successive Games. “I have reached the top of the Olympics, and I think it’s time for me to get out of the sport and help in any other way I can possibly help, so that’s what I am gonna do,” he reasoned. When asked by The Gleaner if he saw his career reaching the dizzying heights it has, Bolt said hard work and belief paid off. “I have outdone myself. As a country boy growing up, I never thought that I would be at this level, and it’s just one thing my dad always told me – to work for what I wanted, and that’s what I did throughout the years with everything I won,” he outlined. “I just kept on setting goals for myself, and I have outdone myself, and I feel proud and happy with what I have done,” said the athlete from Sherwood Content, Trelawny. “One of the things that I am working towards is trying to open a Sports clinic in Jamaica. That’s one thing that’s always on my mind,” he told the media.
Tactical workout ahead of the 2017 AFCON and the 2016 CHAN qualifiers which should have begun on Monday, April 21, was suspended over the lack of super players.The “pick and choose” of these cream of local players are giving Coach James Salinsa Debbah severe headache, particularly in the absence of the domestic cream of players.It seems that the two weeks’ tour on some 1st and 2nd practice grounds which led to the selection of 10 players from BYC FC were not enough to seal the final 24 local players to kick off the training.Reports say that the crucial call-up of players is finally hinged on an eight-day football league, known as Coca-Cola Top 8 Tournament.The tourney which begins on Friday, May 1 to Friday, May 8, at the Blue Field, with eight top teams, includes onetime arch rivals, IE and Barrolle.The other six participating teams include BYC, FC Fassell, Nimba United, NPA Anchors, Watanga FC and Aries FC.It might be laughable in the absence of a domestic league for a coach to pick players from a “Special Tournament” but the exclusion of some other top teams from the tourney is laughable.The clubs’ omission might have been either “deliberate for a payback of sour relationship” or “calculated attempt to deny other players of wearing the national team jersey to have their first run.”However, LFA Secretary General B. Alphonso Armah in defense of leaving out of one of the top teams, LISCR FC, said the selection was done by the LFA’s Competition Committee.The Competition Committee’s Chairman, Ansu Dorley, who is the chairman of the First Instant Board, responsible for the certification and de-registration of clubs also added the selection was done based on merit.Interestingly, LISCR FC is comparatively one of the two best teams in the first division, with a double championship, knockout and super cup titles and other titles.LISCR FC is also the 2nd most organized team to BYC while FC Fassell is still struggling to be third despite their big spending. The third most organized team is inarguably Nimba United.Nevertheless, besides the stoppage of the domestic league, another problem that would delay the “pick and choose” of players would also be absence of a Deputy Coach – who could technically prop the head coach in recruitment.Meanwhile, with 46 days to go to the Togo mission, there are lots of hesitations that the Debbah’s boys would spin the wheel of the qualifiers in the country’s favor.Even though, Coach Debbah has mentioned 40 overseas-based players to blend with the topnotch locals, truthfully with the crash in our economy owing to the hit of the Ebola Virus the actualization of more than five players to play in the 2017 AFCON qualifiers would be a miracle.Many football connoisseurs have considerable doubtful that the employment of inexperience Coach Debbah; the delay in the selection of players, lack of deputy coach and the unpleasant relationship with the LFA and the Liberian government coupled with the ‘No Money Syndrome” would question if Liberia can qualify since we last appeared in 1996 and 2001.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)