Blogs

South Korean governor opposes plans to keep local coal plants open

first_imgSouth Korean governor opposes plans to keep local coal plants open FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Chosun Ilbo:South Chungcheong Province, which is home to around half of Korea’s coal-fired power plants, is committed to phasing out the heavily polluting power source, even as the central government wants to hike coal power production to make up for its nuclear phaseout.South Chungcheong Province Governor Yang Seung-jo, who is affiliated with the ruling Minjoo Party, told the Chosun Ilbo on Wednesday, “We need to halt steps to extend the lifespan of aging coal-fired plants” since that would worsen already alarming air pollution.Boryeong, Dangjin, Seocheon and Taean in South Chungcheong Province are home to 30 out of Korea’s 61 coal-fired power plants. Two plants in Boryeong are more than 30 years old and 10 others were built over two decades ago.The governor believes the health of locals is at risk from the emission from these aging plants. “The amount of atmospheric pollution in the province is the highest in the country at 280,000 tons as of 2015,” Yang said. Yang added that decades-old plants must be shut down and transformed into eco-friendly power plants.The state-run Korea Development Institute claims refurbishing the plants could extend their lifespan by another 10 years to 2041. The cost of refurbishment is estimated at W1.51 trillion (US$1=W1,130).More: South Chungcheong governor resists gov’t’s coal power planslast_img read more

PMA chief resigns after cadet’s hazing death

first_imgPMA Superintendent Lieutenant Genenral Ronnie Evangelista MANILA – The head of the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) has quit from his post following the suspected hazing death of Cadet 4th Class Darwin Dormitorio last week. “In the military tradition of command responsibility, it is now the proper time for me, as the head of this institution, together with the commandant of the Corps of Cadets to relinquish our respective positions,” Evangelista said. “We welcome this development as a right step towards upholding the integrity of the PMA as the country’s premier military institution and recognize the same as a form of genuine delicadeza on the part of Lieutenant General Evangelista,” Panelo said in a statement. “I did not leave my post in the midst of crisis. I faced the problems squarely and we have finished the investigation. As I resign from my post, it is now up to the proper authority to decide on the finality of the case. That for me is the definition of command responsibility,” he added. PMA Superintendent Lieutenant Genenral Ronnie Evangelista on Tuesday announced his resignation, a day after saying that only President Rodrigo Duterte can order him to quit. Aside from Evangelista, also resigning is the commandant of the Corps of Cadets Brigadier General Bartolome Vicente Bacarro.center_img While he awaits orders for his replacement, Evangelista will prepare the separation papers of four senior cadets allegedly responsible for beating up Dormitorio. Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo, who earlier asked for Evangelista’s resignation, has commended the latter for his move, which was a “right step” to preserving the integrity of the state’s premier military school. Dormitorio died on Sept. 18 from cardiac arrest secondary to internal injuries due to supposed hazing within the campus. Two other cadets were rushed in different hospital after complaining for abdominal pain. The Palace spokesperson has also assured Dormitorio’s family that there will be “no whitewash” in the ongoing investigation./PNlast_img read more