first_imgGuyana-Venezuela border controversyThe United Nations Secretary General António Guterres’s decision on the Guyana-Venezuela border controversy could take as much as two years to be handed down if needs be, Vice President and Foreign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidge said on Wednesday.Providing an update on the matter, the Minister said that nothing new has happened since the Good Offices Process ended on December 31, 2017 and a commitment was made to clearly outline the way forward by the Secretary General.The Secretary General undertook to make a decision after a process which ended on December 31. “It is possible of course that he could take two years to answer…We are still waiting on the Secretary General to carry out his responsibilities,” Greenidge told Guyana Times on Wednesday.However, the Minister said given the circumstances by which he was invited to carry out his mandate under the 1966 Agreement, Guterres was fully aware of theForeign Affairs Minister Carl Greenidgeurgency of this matter.“And the fact that when the Guyana Government called on him to intervene, it wasn’t only because Venezuelan troops were on our borders, but because the continuation of this controversy caused by Venezuela claiming that the 1899 Treaty was null and void was having an effect on Guyana,” he added.“The Secretary General would know that during personal discussions with his personal representative, we made it very clear that our main concern was to embark on the process identified under the Geneva Agreement, but one that required an urgent resolution…And I don’t think we have to beat him over the head every week to tell him that,” Greenidge continued.Director General of the Foreign Affairs Ministry, Ambassador Audrey Jardine-Waddell had told sections of the media that after the Personal Representative to the Secretary General, Dag Halvor Nylander submitted his report on enhanced mediation efforts, the UN Head would decide the next step.“December 31 wasn’t the date of the decision. December 31 was when the process ended….Having received the report from his personal representative, the Secretary General will now make his decision and inform us of the decision,” Jardine-Waddell was quoted as saying.There have been reports that Secretary General Guterres could inform the two countries of his decision before the end of March 2018.“He didn’t have to inform us on December 31st; that was the date when the process ended,” Waddell reiterated.Former UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon had given an undertaking that 2017 would have been the last year of mediation to end the border controversy. If that process failed, the controversy would be referred to the International Court of Justice (ICJ), the principal judicial organ of the UN.Guyana maintains that the 1899 Arbitral Tribunal Award that settled the boundary issue between Guyana and Venezuela was full and final. But Venezuela has, for several decades, registered its diplomatic and military objection to Guyana’s development of its natural resources onshore and offshore.Venezuela, with almost 40 times the population of Guyana and a territory that is several times bigger, purported to claim in 1968 the entire territorial sea of Guyana by means of the Leoni Decree, which has never been withdrawn.On the military front, Venezuela’s navy in October 2013 seized the Malaysian-owned seismic research vessel, <<>>, that had been conducting surveys in a Guyanese oil concession offshore Essequibo for the US company, Anadarko Petroleum.In May 2015 when ExxonMobil officially announced a large oil find in its offshore Stabroek Block concession, Venezuela’s President, Nicolás Maduro had unilaterally extended his country’s maritime boundary to include almost all of Guyana’s maritime space.He, however, backed down after intense pressure from the 15-member Caribbean Community (Caricom) after it became known that his unilateral maritime demarcation had also included almost all of the Caribbean islands.last_img read more

first_imgHere are the top transfer-related stories in Friday’s newspapers and online…Manchester United are set to seal a £46million deal for Benfica’s teenage midfield sensation Renato Sanches. Benfica president Luis Filipe Vieira was in London on Thursday night to complete the move. Sanches, 18, is under contract at Benfica until 2021 and has a buy-out clause of nearly £60m, but it is understood the club are willing to sell for £31m up front with £15m in add-ons. (Daily Mail)Manchester City have added Arsenal forward Theo Walcott to their list of potential summer signings. Incoming manager Pep Guardiola is a keen admirer of the 27-year-old and he has asked City to monitor Walcott’s situation closely as he faces a crossroads in his career at Emirates Stadium. (London Evening Standard)Chelsea winger Willian is a £50million target for Chinese Super League club Guangzhou Evergrande. Guangzhou boss and former Brazil national team coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has targeted Willian after signing their countryman ­Paulinho from Spurs last summer and another South American, Colombia’s Jackson Martinez, in February. (Daily Mirror)Southampton keeper Fraser Forster has admitted he is flattered by Chelsea’s interest in him. The Blues have the giant 28-year-old in their sights if Belgian Thibaut Courtois decides he wants to leave this summer. Forster has just two years left on his current contract at Southampton and has yet to sign a new deal. (Daily Mirror)Claudio Ranieri is monitoring Southampton’s Victor Wanyama as a possible replacement for N’Golo Kante. Leicester boss Ranieri is set to lose his PFA Player of the Year nominee this summer, with Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, ­Manchester City and Arsenal all huge admirers. (Daily Mirror)Swansea City will move to re-sign Joe Allen from Liverpool this summer, setting up a potential reunion with Brendan Rodgers. Allen will enter the final year of his contract at Anfield at the end of June and preliminary talks are currently not even planned over a renewal. Swansea were keen to sign their former academy player on loan in January and will make him one of their top targets again when the window re-opens. (Daily Mirror)Leicester are facing a big fight to sign the NEW Jamie Vardy. The Foxes want whizkid Charlie Coppola, who plays for non-league Lewes. But Premier League rivals Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal have joined the race for the striker, 16, who can also play as a wide man. (The Sun)Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino is interested in rising Atletico Madrid star Borja Baston. The 23-year-old striker is currently on loan at Eibar, for whom he has scored 18 goals in all competitions this season. (Daily Mirror)Newcastle are targeting a summer move for Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs. The north Londoners are ready to listen to offers for Gibbs this summer amid a growing likelihood that he will not be at the club next season. (Football Insider)And here are the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…?Leicester transfer news: Juventus eye N’Golo Kante as Paul Pogba replacementChelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United ready to move for Barcelona star Sergio BusquetsRoberto Mancini: Inter Milan signing Manchester City star Yaya Toure will be toughSlaven Bilic confident ‘Liverpool target’ Aaron Cresswell will stay at West HamLiverpool transfer news: Is this the goalkeeper to replace Simon Mignolet?Transfer news: Lazio and Sampdoria ready to offer former Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner a career lifelineTransfer news: Borussia Dortmund expected to beat Liverpool and Tottenham to signing of starlet DembeleTransfer report: Blow for Tottenham and West Ham as Barcelona join chase for prolific striker Alexandre LacazetteTransfer news: Barcelona defender Marc Bartra set to spark summer transfer fight between Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenhamlast_img read more