Blogs

Ekong, Victor Moses, Ola Aina to Test for COVID-19 in Italy

first_img“As soon as the conditions are right, we’ll finish the championship,” said federation president Gabriele Gravina yesterday.Speaking to Sky Sports Italia, he added: “Soon, there will be a meeting. We will establish the procedure which we will then communicate.“We will start, I hope, at the beginning of May with tests to ensure that players are negative and training can follow.“Will we play through the summer? We don’t have a deadline but the idea is to finish the championships.”Italy has been one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus crisis, and players at a number of clubs have been infected.Juventus lead the Italian top flight, one point ahead of Lazio and nine clear of third-placed Inter Milan.Brescia President, Massimo Cellino, whose side are bottom of the table, has said he is ready to forfeit the club’s remaining gamesif the season resumes.Last week, German teams became the first from Europe’s top leagues to return to training,with precautions in place.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram The Italian Serie A plans to test all players including Nigeria stars William Troost Ekong (Udinese), Victor Moses (Inter Milan) and Ola Aina (Torino) for the Coronavirus (COVID-19) before the competition could restart.The Coronavirus Pandemic has killed more than 20,000 people in Italy alone. Serie A has been suspended since 9 Marchbecause of the global pandemic.There is no set date for when the campaign can resume in Italy, with 12 full rounds and four outstanding fixtures still to play.last_img read more

NCAA’s documents released in McNair case

first_imgOn Tuesday morning, the NCAA unsealed hundreds of emails, memos and transcripts that seem to show ill will and bias toward both USC and former running backs coach Todd McNair.“These recent documents confirm what we’ve believed all along, that we were treated unfairly in this investigation and its penalties,” USC Athletic Director Pat Haden said in a statement on Wednesday. “I think these documents are cause for concern about the NCAA’s own institutional controls.”The NCAA had battled to keep the documents sealed by claiming that making them public would inhibit the committee’s ability to conduct investigations in the future.“It should be concerning to all schools that the NCAA didn’t appear to follow its own rules,” Haden said.McNair sued the NCAA for defamation, and his attorneys argued the emails showed that certain officials tried to influence the infractions committee. California’s 2nd District Court of Appeal ordered the NCAA to release the documents in Feburary.The emails seem to prove McNair’s case and show why the NCAA was so concerned with keeping the documents sealed. Two non-voting members, Roscoe Howard and Rodney Uphoff, attacked both the Trojans and McNair in the emails. In one email, Uphoff even compared evidence from the Reggie Bush case to the Oklahoma City bombings.“This evidence in this [Bush] case is, for example, markedly stronger than in the OKC bombing case which was built entirely on circumstantial evidence,” Uphoff wrote, according to CBS Sports.  “In fact, there was no direct evidence that [Terry] Nichols was ever involved in the bombing plot.”Another infractions committee overseer, Shep Cooper, went as far as calling McNair “a lying, morally bankrupt criminal and a hypocrite of the highest order.”USC was sanctioned in 2010 for a “lack of institutional control” in cases regarding former football player Reggie Bush and basketball player O.J. Mayo. The Trojans were handed a  two-year post-season ban and a massive reduction in scholarships over the subsequent four years. Many consider the punishment put on the Trojans to be one of the harshest in history.The NCAA pinned McNair as one of the main contributors to USC’s mishandling of their star players. The NCAA claimed that McNair “knew or should have known” about Bush’s relationship with potential San Diego agents. McNair ended up losing his job at USC in 2010 and has not worked for another team or college since.In voice memos released as part of the sealed documents, Uphoff harshly criticized USC’s hiring of Lane Kiffin following the departure of Pete Carroll.“Paul Dee was brought in at Miami to clean up a program with serious problems. USC has responded to its problems by bringing in Lane Kiffin,” Uphoff wrote. “They need a wake-up call that doing things the wrong way will have serious consequences.”Some members of the committee, including Britton Banowsky and Eleanor Myers, were skeptical about the case, especially against McNair.“It is challenging for me to make the finding when there is no allegation that he personally was involved in any rules violations, or even had specific knowledge of any,” Banowsky wrote.The NCAA released more than 500 pages of documents on Tuesday. A decision regarding McNair’s defamation lawsuit should come within few months.last_img read more