To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Share on: WhatsApp Ugandans mourned the sudden death Saturday of veteran TV journalist Andrew Patrick Luwandagga, praising him for his pioneering work in the sports field.Details of the cause of his death are still scanty, with initial reports saying he had collapsed and was confirmed dead at about 4.00am at his Namasuba home. Police later said they were investigating the case, and had Luwandagga’s son in custody. A post-mortem examination is yet to be carried out. Luwandagga had left his office at Uganda Broadcasting Corporation (UBC TV) late Friday after chairing a committee preparing for Kampala’s hosting of the World Cross Country Championships in 2017.“It’s with our deepest sorrow that we announce the death of our friend, your friend and veteran sports journalist Andrew Patrick Luwandaga. A sports icon with the highest level of professionalism departed this morning. May the almighty God rest Andrew a.k.a APL in peace,” UBC announced on twitter early Saturday.There will be public viewing of the body at UBC gardens on Sunday at 11 am. Burial is Monday at Wamala.Luwandagga commentated on sport for over three decades and was known for his versatility and professionalism. He also always encouraged and promoted young journalists in the trade.He was president Uganda Sports Press Association (USPA) in the late 80s and early 90s, been Vice President of Federation of International Cinema and Television Sports and has been stadium announcer during Uganda Cranes matches.Luwandagga was an avid football fan, admired SC Villa and was brother of musician Moses Matovu of Afrigo band.
A Florida woman is facing a life-sentence after she killed a teen who she believed molested her daughter several years prior.43-year-old Connie Serbu was convicted Thursday for the 2016 murder of 18-year-old Xavier Sierra.According to the report, Serbu contacted the teen and asked him if he wanted to make money by assembling bunk beds.Serbu then met up the with teen and confronted him about allegations that her young daughter made about Sierra touching her inappropriately when the girl was about five-years-old and he was 12 or 13.Serbu and her brother, 29-year-old John Vargas armed with two stun guns, two handguns, an ice pick and a potato to silence the gun, then drove the teen to an undeveloped area near the Naples airport where he was then killed.Vargas was fatally wounded in a struggle for one of the guns as the teen attempted to escape. Serbu then fatally shot the teen in the chest.During a police interview, Serbu confessed to wanting to kill the teen because her daughter told a babysitter that Sierra inappropriately touched her.Serbu has been found guilty of second-degree murder and now faces a possible life sentence. Her next hearing is set for Jan. 3rd.It is unclear if the child’s allegations are true.
National fast food chain Chick-fil-A is setting things straight, after company officials sent a promotional email last week welcoming customers to their stores on National Sandwich Day.Sounds fine, right? Well, not in this case.The problem is that the so-called “national holiday” falls on November 3, which of course is on a Sunday this year.The chain is closed on Sundays.That realization led the company to send a follow-up email with the subject line, “Well … this is awkward.”The follow-up message states, “We recently sent an email that included a message about National Sandwich Day, which naturally we were very excited about. We didn’t realize it falls on Sunday when we are closed. We apologize for the confusion and hope to see you soon (Monday-Saturday).”On a related note, competitor Popeyes used the occasion to announce that its popular chicken sandwich, which sold out weeks earlier than expected last summer, would make its return on Sunday.Popeyes officials took a jab at Chick-fil-A in a recent social media video, which says that Popeyes is “always open seven days a week.”
On Tuesday a Palm Beach County judge declared a mistrial in the high profile murder trial of a former Palm Beach County deputy who was accused of shooting and killing his son-in-law in 2018.The retired officer, Carlton Nebergall Jr., is charged with first-degree murder after he shot and killed Jacob Lodge. Nebergall claimed it was an act of self defense.The arrest report stated that Nebergall’s daughter claimed her husband Lodge showed up to her home to exchange clothing for their two children, and Nebergall walked out as Lodge attempted to leave the house and shot him.On Monday Nebergall said that Lodge had a violent history. He told the jury he walked outside that night with a loaded revolver and fired a warning shot into the air. Lodge then left and later returned in an attempt to “look for something.” That’s when Nebergall said he “feared for his life” and shot Lodge in the head.Attorneys said the mistrial was declared on Tuesday because a juror was on his cell phone as the defense team was delivering their closing arguments. The jury was dismissed, and a brand new jury will have to be picked later on.
Iran has started its retaliation “Operation Revenge” for Soleimani’s death by striking multiple US bases in Iraq, with what it seems to be dubbing “Operation Qassem Soleimani.” In a departure from their usual practice, the IRGC are claiming the attack, whose stated objective is to drive US out of the region.Iran has launched surface to air missile’s and at the base housing American troops in a Iraq.The attack was launched at the same time that the general was killed by a drone missile five days ago outside the Baghdad airport.