Daniele Rugani looks set to leave Juventus this summer, with Ligue 1 outfit Monaco joining Roma in the chase for the centre-back. Rugani was a target for Premier League club Arsenal, though Juventus turned down a two-year loan deal for the 25-year-old. With the Premier League transfer deadline having passed, the options for the centre-back must now come from the rest of Europe, but he still seems to have plenty of suitors for his services. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Roma remain long-time admirers of the former Empoli star and are currently leading the chase for his signature, but the Serie A side will have some competition from Ligue 1 side Monaco. Sources have confirmed to Goal that Monaco have started asking about Rugani’s availability, though negotiations of an actual deal have yet to take place between the two sides. The centre-back would address a need for either Roma or Monaco, with the Serie A side having shipped 48 goals in 38 league matches last season while finishing sixth. Monaco’s record at the back was far worse as the club struggled through a terrible season in Ligue 1, letting in 58 goals and finishing just above the relegation zone. Rugani’s place with Juventus is up in the air at the moment, with the club boasting Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci as first-choice centre-backs. The club also landed Merih Demiral from Sassulo and Ajax star Matthijs de Ligt this summer, likely leaving him as part of a third-choice lineup. The defender played just 15 times in Serie A last season, down from 22 the year before, as Juventus cruised to another league title, and could see his minutes fall even more drastically this term. Despite that, he seems content to stay with the Turin side should a move not get done. New Juventus boss Maurizio Sarri and Rugani have a good relationship from their time together with Empoli, where Rugani was named to the Serie A team of the year. Juventus get their title defence under way on August 24 against Parma in what will be Sarri’s first official test as boss. The club will then face last year’s runners-up, Napoli, in their second match of the Serie A season on August 31.
“This is an individual who has been responsible for many heinous crimes, caused lots of problems in Iraq for the Government and the people of Iraq – the people of Iraq who are afraid to step out, the people of Iraq who are only demanding peace, stability, and to have their streets back,” Mr. Annan told reporters at a press encounter.“I think they will all be relieved that he is gone. And of course, we cannot pretend that that will mean the end of the violence. But it is a relief that such a heinous and dangerous man who has caused so much harm to the Iraqis is no longer around to continue his work.”Asked whether he thought Mr. Zarqawi might stray somewhat dangerously close to the line drawn by the Geneva Convention against targeted assassinations, he replied that Iraq was a war zone.“And there are lots of groups fighting with each other. There are lots of militias, armies and others. And with Zarqawi, if it is him indeed who has been killed, has been at war. He’s been in a fight. So I don’t think you can equate it to targeted assassination of the kind that we have seen elsewhere,” Mr. Annan said.