Rabat – The government appears to have taken back its decision to deny civil society a position in the National Anti-Corruption Commission, instead giving two Moroccan NGOs seats in the commission for a two-year term as full members.Having reviewed the executive text of the composition of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, the head of the commission, El Othmani said during a meeting of the Governing Council on September 21 that two seats will be reserved for the NGOs.“In principle, it is the most representative NGO in this field [anti-corruption] that will be given the seats. However, it will be up to the head of government, the president of the commission, to decide by decree,” reported Telquel. The executive draft setting out the hierarchy of power within the commission had sparked controversy, as it stated that NGOs would not have the status of full members.The director of Transparency Maroc, Fouad Zirari, said to the same source on June 5 that he had learned “by rumor” that civil society organiations would not be invited to the new National Anti-Corruption Commission.“We were involved in the preparation of the national anti-corruption strategy adopted two years ago, which would systematically be followed by the creation of an anti-corruption commission. We learned that the government has finally decided to create a commission alone, without the participation of NGOS and civil society,” said Zirari.The president claimed that “the government does not really have the will to fight against corruption, otherwise it would have integrated the civil society without which nothing could be possible in this fight. The commission would only become a is only a showcase to make a good impression on the international scene.” read more

Google’s YouTube losing major advertisers upset with videos by Michael Liedtke, The Associated Press Posted Mar 22, 2017 4:57 pm MDT Last Updated Mar 22, 2017 at 6:20 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email SAN FRANCISCO – AT&T, Verizon and several other major advertisers are suspending their marketing campaigns on Google’s YouTube site after discovering their brands have been appearing alongside videos promoting terrorism and other unsavoury subjects.The spreading boycott confronts Google with a challenge that threatens to cost it hundreds of millions of dollars.YouTube’s popularity stems from its massive and eclectic library of video, spanning everything from polished TV clips to raw diatribes posted by people bashing homosexuals.But that diverse selection periodically allows ads to appear next to videos that marketers find distasteful, despite Google’s efforts to prevent it from happening.Google depends largely on automated programs to place ads in YouTube videos because the job is too much for humans to handle on their own. About 400 hours of video is now posted on YouTube each minute.Earlier this week, Google vowed to step up its efforts to block ads on “hateful, offensive and derogatory” videos.“We know that this is unacceptable to the advertisers and agencies who put their trust in us,” Philipp Schindler, Google’s chief business officer, wrote in a Tuesday blog post.As part of Google’s solution to the problem, Schindler promised to hire “significant numbers” of employees to review YouTube videos and flag them as inappropriate for ads. He also predicted YouTube would be able to address advertisers’ concerns through Google’s recent advancements in artificial intelligence — technology parlance for computers that learn to think like humans.But that promise so far hasn’t appeased AT&T, Verizon Communications and an expanding global list of advertisers that includes Volkswagen, Audi, HSBC Holdings, the Royal Bank of Scotland and L’Oreal.“We are deeply concerned that our ads may have appeared alongside YouTube content promoting terrorism and hate,” AT&T said in a statement. “Until Google can ensure this won’t happen again, we are removing our ads from Google’s non-search platforms.”By extending its ban to everything beyond Google’s search results, AT&T is also effectively pulling its ads from more than two million other websites that depend on Google to deliver ads to their pages.In its statement, Verizon said it decided to pull ads from YouTube to protect its website while it investigates the “weak links” among its digital advertising partners.Both AT&T and Verizon may have an ulterior motive to make YouTube look like an untrustworthy spot for marketers because both companies are trying to sell more digital ads in their own networks.YouTube has become one of the fastest growing parts of Google’s ad system, which generated $79 billion in revenue last year. Google doesn’t disclose how much of that came from YouTube ads, but the research firm eMarketer estimated that the video site accounted for $5.6 billion that amount. EMarketer projected YouTube’s advertising will rise 26 per cent this year to $7 billion, but that prediction came before marketers began to suspend their spending.The YouTube boycott began late last week after an investigation by The Times in London revealed the ads of major brands were appearing in videos delving into contentious themes. read more