Winkworth has launched a business that plans to make hay from the demise of Britain’s high streets as development and commercial investment switches to creating homes within former offices and retail space.The company has hired Adam Stackhouse, who for the past seven years has worked at Bective Leslie Marsh heading up its Land and New Homes division in central London.Winkworth says his team will be looking at development and commercial opportunities created by shifts in the economic environment and the lack of footfall to high streets.But it also hopes to profit from the changes in planning legislation designed to speed up the delivery of new homes in former office and retail spaces following the extension of Permitted Development Rights.Initially the team will operate within Zones 1-6 in London followed by further expansion into commuter areas such as Guildford, Godalming, Woking, and Reading.Planning reforms“Planning reforms are creating a huge opportunity to regenerate the link roads leading to the high street, where there are boarded up shops which are no longer sustainable.,” says Stackhouse.“These buildings will be very attractive to investors for conversion into homes, revitalising the streetscape and bringing more residents into the area.“This will then create more demand for a more concentrated area of retail in the high street.“The demand for office buildings is also changing, as a result of Covid-19, where buildings may be suitable for residential or for reconfiguring into spaces for a new way of working, where people may not be in the office every day.”Read more about permitted development.adam stackhouse permitted development winkworth September 18, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » New Winkworth team to advise on office and retail residential redevelopment previous nextAgencies & PeopleNew Winkworth team to advise on office and retail residential redevelopmentAgency says changes in permitted development rules, Covid and online shopping mean retail and high street can only go one way.Nigel Lewis18th September 202001,261 Views
Bakery chain Greggs delivered a shock trading update this morning to reveal that its full-year profits would be ahead of analysts’ expectations.Chief executive Roger Whiteside said customers were ‘responding’ to improvements in products and services – as it unveiled own shop like-for-like sales (LFLs) growth of 5.2% for the 24 weeks to 13 December, compared with growth of just 0.7% in the same period last year.For the year-to-date LFLs were up 4.2%, added Greggs, significantly better than the -1.1% decline seen in the same period in 2013.Total sales were also up by 3.6%.Whiteside said: “The strong performance that we reported in our September IMS has continued. Trading conditions have remained helpful, but there is no doubt that customers are also responding to improvements in our product and service offer and to the investment we are making in the shop environment.“Whilst there is still much to play for over the final few weeks of the year, we currently anticipate that full-year profits will be ahead of analysts’ expectations.”The company said it would also update the market following its Christmas trading period and ahead of its full-year results.
In addition to the violent areas in San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa, Troops and police officers perform joint security patrols in the cities of La Ceiba and Choloma as part of the effort to provide security in all of the country’s major cities. “The timely action taken by the Armed Forces and the National Police has allowed us to neutralize any threat or extension to other neighborhoods or districts,” Commissioner Saucedo said. “The control over these areas has generated confidence in the people so that they are able to stay in their homes. We are doing our best for the sake of the Honduran civil society.” M-18 depends on income from extortion and MS-13 relies heavily on micro-trafficking drugs. A gang can generate illegal profits of up to $2.5 million annually, according to the Gangs in Honduras report issued on November 20, 2015 by the organization Insight Crime. M-18 currently operates in about 150 neighborhoods and districts of Tegucigalpa, while MS-13 is in 70, according to Honduran police intelligence. In San Pedro Sula, M-18 operates in 22 neighborhoods and MS-13 in 11, according to Insight Crime. The M-18 members told the terrified residents they had 48 hours to vacate their homes. “The gang members demanded that they leave their houses along the main street because they wanted to convert it into the border between the territories controlled by Barrio 18 and the rival gang for the sale of drugs and extortion,” said Second Lieutenant Selkin Arita of the Military Police for Public Order (PMOP), the newspaper Prensa Libre reported on March 24th. A week earlier, M-18 gang members gave residents in the Reparto Lempira district, located in San Pedro Sula–Honduras’s second largest city–24 hours to vacate the area or die. “On behalf of Barrio 18 we are giving you 24 hours to vanish from this area. After that, there will be no regrets. You will see lives lost just for opening the door,” the M-18 wrote on a note in the district, according to a report by El Heraldo. By Dialogo April 15, 2016 About 100 members of the Honduran Armed Forces and National Police (PNH) provided security to civilians so they could return to their homes in a district in southern Tegucigalpa after being threatened by the violent Barrio 18 (M-18) gang. “The residents of the Las Torres district were alarmed,” PNH Commissioner Leonel Saucedo told Diálogo. “They left their homes in order to protect themselves. There was an immediate and timely intervention from both the Armed Forces and the National Police, who are maintaining a permanent presence in that district. In the end, this generated confidence among the residents of those neighborhoods.” However, the Armed Forces and PNH arrived on the scene to provide security for those who returned to their homes on March 28th, according to Commissioner Saucedo. Effective Military response “There haven’t been any problems in the districts where the threats were received,” Commissioner Saucedo stated. “We are carrying out joint prevention patrols, motorcycle and vehicle patrols, 24 hours a day. The results of the operations in Las Torres and Reparto Lempira have been successful. The presence and support of the Armed Forces in all aspects of this security work have been invaluable. When necessary, we act as coordinating Military institutions.” The M-18 began threatening residents on March 23rd, when eight gang members armed with high-powered AK-47 rifles and automatic pistols arrived “at 7:30 p.m. [in Las Torres] shooting and shouting that Barrio 18 had arrived, and that they were the new owners of that sector of the capital,” the newspaper La Tribuna reported on March 26th. Gang members entered a residence in the district, also known as El Hoyo, and interrogated the owners, asking them if they worked with the rival gang Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13). Law enforcement has made strides protecting the civilian population from M-18 and MS-13, which are responsible for much of the crime in the nation’s urban centers. For example, the 5,148 homicides recorded nationwide in 2015 were 788 fewer than the 5,936 reported in 2014. Last year, authorities documented more than 1,460 homicides in San Pedro Sula and 26 in Reparto Lempira, according to a February 2016 report by the University Institute of Democracy, Peace, and Security of the National Autonomous University of Honduras. The Military and the PMOP immediately deployed personnel to protect civilians from gang members by establishing checkpoints and roadblocks. The security forces sent to Las Torres and Reparto Lempira will be be permanent, according to Commissioner Saucedo. Security patrols The collaboration between the Armed Forces and the National Police in the fight against gangs is increasing confidence levels. “The people, upon seeing professional work that gets results and a greater commitment by the security forces of the state, have more confidence in giving information to the authorities, which allows us to carry out joint actions to arrest the people involved in these criminal organizations,” Commissioner Saucedo explained. “As they continue their joint operations, Troops and police aim to further reduce homicides and the sale and distribution of drugs. The big challenge for 2016 is to reduce the occurrence of extortion, make arrests, and dismantle the criminal organizations.”
MORE: RSL winner puts entire building on the market Grand mansion is Benowa’s best kept secret The view towards Byron Bay from 784 Coolamon Scenic Drive, Coorabell.With a Pacific Ocean backdrop and vistas from Byron Bay lighthouse to Mount Chincogan, the views from 784 Coolamon Scenic Drive, Coorabell site are spectacular.“It has all the potential to be Byron’s next destination restaurant,” said marketing agent Nick Dunn, of McGrath Byron Bay.“Restaurants like Harvest at Newrybar and The Farm near Byron have become destinations in themselves.“Being such a key location and a key view, the owner felt it would be a great attribute for the community for people to be able to go up there and dine.” A restaurant and residences have been approved for the site.Celebrity chefs hankering for a side of Byron beach lifestyle could be in the running to take on the project which requires a “substantial investment”. More from news02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa7 hours ago02:37Gold Coast property: Sovereign Islands mega mansion hits market with $16m price tag1 day ago“We have approached a few … Shannon Bennett is up here and even someone like Neil Perry who is retired,” Mr Dunn said. It took three years for approval to be obtained for the restaurant along with plans for two residences joined by an entertaining area with resort-style pool. Mega mansion: The Caribbean meets Gold Coast glamour The stunning hinterland vistas would complement the fine dining experience.Byron Shire Council approved the plans despite opposition from some residents citing concerns over traffic and claims the development would diminish the experience of going to nearby Scarrabelotti’s Lookout, long regarded as the best vantage point in the area.“The restaurant is DA approved so if someone buys the property they can build that restaurant tomorrow,” Mr Dunn said. “You could holiday let the properties and operate the restaurant or amend the DA to put one big magnificent home there as well.” Video Player is loading.Play VideoPlayNext playlist itemMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 2:31Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -2:31 Playback Rate1xChaptersChaptersDescriptionsdescriptions off, selectedCaptionscaptions settings, opens captions settings dialogcaptions off, selectedQuality Levels540p540p360p360p270p270pAutoA, selectedAudio Tracken (Main), selectedFullscreenThis is a modal window.Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.TextColorWhiteBlackRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyOpaqueSemi-TransparentTransparentWindowColorBlackWhiteRedGreenBlueYellowMagentaCyanTransparencyTransparentSemi-TransparentOpaqueFont Size50%75%100%125%150%175%200%300%400%Text Edge StyleNoneRaisedDepressedUniformDropshadowFont FamilyProportional Sans-SerifMonospace Sans-SerifProportional SerifMonospace SerifCasualScriptSmall CapsReset restore all settings to the default valuesDoneClose Modal DialogEnd of dialog window.This is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.Close Modal DialogThis is a modal window. This modal can be closed by pressing the Escape key or activating the close button.PlayMuteCurrent Time 0:00/Duration 0:00Loaded: 0%Stream Type LIVESeek to live, currently playing liveLIVERemaining Time -0:00 Playback Rate1xFullscreenIs it a good time to list?02:31WANTED: Celebrity chef with deep pockets and lifestyle aspirations to establish Byron Shire’s next destination restaurant.A prime 4.5ha site in the Byron Bay hinterland with approval for a 40-seat fine dining restaurant has hit the market with a $4.25 million price tag.