Blogs

Whitey Bulger’s family filing wrongful death suit against DOJ

first_imgMivPiv/iStock(NEW YORK) — The family of James “Whitey” Bulger signaled its intent Friday to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the Justice Department, nearly a year after the Boston gangster was beaten to death in federal prison.Bulger, who was 89 when he died last October, had been moved into the general population of the federal penitentiary in Hazelton, West Virginia, where he was attacked within hours. “We believe that James Bulger was deliberately placed in harm’s way,” the family said in a statement provided to ABC News by their attorney Hank Brennan. “There is simply no other explanation for the transfer of someone in his condition and inmate status to be placed in the general population of one of the country’s most violent federal penitentiaries.”According to Bulger’s family, he had anticipated being moved from U.S. Penitentiary Coleman in Florida to a medical facility better equipped to manage his failing health. “Instead, he was transported to USP Hazelton, where he was murdered within hours of arrival,” the family’s statement said.The Bureau of Prisons declined to comment, citing pending litigation. The FBI has been investigating Bulger’s death, but has yet to bring any charges. The family said its notice of claim is meant to get answers.The lawsuit is seeking $200,000 in damages, but the family noted that they expect no financial benefit since any award to Bulger’s estate is subject to forfeiture orders.Bulger, an FBI informant, had been serving a life sentence for crimes committed while head of the Winter Hill gang.He had been linked to 11 murders. Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

MS Dhoni records second-slowest fifty for India in ODIs

first_imgMS Dhoni recorded India’s second-slowest ODI fifty when he took a 108 balls to reach the mark against West Indies in the 4th ODI at the Sir Vivian Richards Stadium in Antigua on Sunday.Sadagoppan Ramesh has scored the slowest half century for India against Kenya in 1999 while former India captain Sourav Ganguly is third on the list for his 105-ball fifty against Sri Lanka in 2005.On a pitch that Virat Kohli called two-paced, Dhoni showed immense patience to reach the half century but his effort went in vain as West Indies stunned India by 11 runs on Sunday.Indian bowlers had done an excellent job to restrict West Indies to a mere 190 with Umesh Yadav and Hardik Pandya picking 3 wickets each even as Kuldeep Yadav continued to impress by pitching in with 2 wickets.In reply to that, India had a shaky start as they lost Shikhar Dhawan and Virat Kohli early on and Dinesh Karthik failed on his comeback but Ajinkya Rahane and Dhoni showed grit and determination to play the balls patiently and stay put.Rahane fell to Devendra Bishoo at 60 and Hardik Pandya and Kedar Jadhav were unable to stitch a partnership with Dhoni as they lost their wickets for 10 and 20 respectively.When Jadeja came on the crease, the situation was pretty much in control with almost a-run-a-ball needed but Jadeja played an irresponsible shot to throw his wicket away and when Dhoni got out in attempt of a big shot in the 49th over, it was all over for India.advertisementWest Indies captain Jason Holder lead from the front and grabbed his first 5-wicket haul in ODIs.India lead the series 2-1 and the fifth ODI will be played in Jamaica on July 6.last_img read more