Blogs

Mexico: reporter’s murder revives debate about effectiveness of protection

first_img Last week’s murder of a journalist in the southwestern state of Guerrero raises many questions about the protection of media personnel in Mexico. The journalist, Cecilio Pineda Birto, had been given official protection but it was withdrawn in October for reasons that Reporters Without Borders (RSF) regards as unacceptable. March 9, 2017 Mexico: reporter’s murder revives debate about effectiveness of protection Help by sharing this information Follow the news on Mexico RSF_en May 5, 2021 Find out more News MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeCorruptionViolenceFreedom of expression April 28, 2021 Find out more Aged 39, Cecilio Pineda Birto was gunned down in cold blood on 2 March in Ciudad Altamirano, in Guerrero’s Tierra Caliente region. The editor of La Voz de la Tierra Caliente, a local newspaper, and a crime reporter for the El Universal and El Debate dailies, he was known for being outspoken and criticizing local corruption, and had been the target of threats and murder attempts in recent years. After escaping at attack in 2015, Pineda filed a complaint with the Guerrero state prosecutor’s office. His case was passed to the Federal Mechanism for Protecting Human Rights Defenders and Journalists, which advised him to move to a new location to avoid further danger. Pineda rejected the proposal, mainly on health grounds. Following an initial risk evaluation, the Federal Mechanism again suggested in January 2016 that he should leave his hometown and go to a refuge. Yet again, Pineda could not bring himself to take this step, so it was decided instead to establish a routine of regular visits to his home by the Guerrero police. This was completely inadequate and ineffective, according to Israel Flores of the National Press Workers Union (SNTP). “The police just got Cecilio to sign the document showing that they had visited his home and then they continued on their way,” he told RSF. In a second risk assessment in October 2016, the Federal Mechanism decided that the level of risk was no longer sufficient to justify further protection. It therefore withdrew protection from Pineda and closed the case. In a statement released a few hours after Pineda’s execution-style murder, the Federal Mechanism said his protection was withdrawn because he refused to relocate. But the law under which the Federal Mechanism was created and the Federal Mechanism’s own regulations make no provision for withdrawing protection and closing a case in the event of such a refusal. “The local and federal authorities were aware of the level of risk to which Cecilio Pineda was exposed but neither were able to provide him with effective protection,” said Emmanuel Colombié, the head of RSF’s Latin America desk. “This case illustrates the crying need for a complete overhaul of the process of assessing risks and supervising the measures envisaged by the Federal Mechanism for Protecting Human Rights Defenders and Journalists in order to avoid a recurrence of this kind of tragedy.” Pineda’s fellow journalists and family are convinced that he was murdered because of his work. A few hours before being gunned down, he retransmitted a video live on his Facebook page in which he accused the Tierra Caliente authorities of being linked to a local drug baron known as El Tequilero. A week has gone by since his death, but the police and judicial investigators have not yet developed any hypothesis about the identity of his murderers or their motive. Newspaper reporter Pedro Tamayo Rosas was gunned down in Tierra Blanca, in the eastern state of Veracruz, in July 2016 despite being under Veracruz state protection at the time. In a report published on 2 February, entitled “Veracruz: journalists and the state of fear,” RSF provides a detailed examination of the flaws in Mexico’s mechanisms for protecting journalists in danger, and offers recommendations for improving the situation.Mexico is ranked 149th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. Receive email alerts NSO Group hasn’t kept its promises on human rights, RSF and other NGOs say May 13, 2021 Find out more Organisation MexicoAmericas Condemning abusesProtecting journalists Organized crimeCorruptionViolenceFreedom of expression News Reporter murdered in northwestern Mexico’s Sonora state to go further Reports 2011-2020: A study of journalist murders in Latin America confirms the importance of strengthening protection policies Newslast_img read more

Guatemala and Honduras Agree to Reinforce Measures against Drug Trafficking

first_imgBy Dialogo June 15, 2012 Lobo and his Salvadoran counterpart, Mauricio Funes, declined to attend a Central American summit held in Guatemala on March 24 in order to analyze Pérez’s proposal. “We know that this problem (of drug trafficking) is not only a Guatemalan problem or only a Honduran problem; it’s a problem that we share in Central America, as transit countries for drug trafficking,” Pérez said. “We also addressed how to improve security in order to eliminate blind (illegal) border crossings” through a binational police force, or a trinational one if El Salvador joins, the Honduran president added. He explained that all frontal assaults on drug trafficking should be supported by prevention strategies. Following a brief meeting in the Guatemalan capital, Guatemalan President Otto Pérez and Honduran President Porfirio Lobo agreed on June 13 to do better in the fight against drug trafficking and crime, which are heavily impacting their countries and all of Central America. “We’ve addressed issues that we Central Americans share as a challenge, increasingly strengthening exchanges of information and making that joint effort to combat transnational crime,” Lobo stated at a joint press conference with Pérez at the Presidential House. “People talk about how we’re more effective together, not on the combat side, but on the prevention side (…),” the Honduran president specified. Lobo recalled that they are working together with the United States on the strategy known as Operation Martillo, focused on containing the entry of drugs into the region. “Central America’s problems are problems that unite us; in addition, we have many more points of convergence, of union, than points where we could diverge,” Pérez concluded.last_img read more

Norway launches reviews of oil fund on management, private equity

first_imgThe ministry has a policy of regularly conducting broad reviews of the GPFG in the run up its annual report, which it presents to parliament around the end of March.As part of the review, the ministry will also commission two consultancy reports on management costs and responsible management activities in other large funds. McKinsey and Inflection Point Capital Management are to put these reports together.The ministry said it had also sent letters in June to Norges Bank asking for advice and assessments on these topics.The management review group includes Magnus Dahlquist, professor at the Stockholm School of Economics, and Bernt Arne Ødegaard, professor at the University of Stavanger.Dahlquist is also research fellow at the Centre for Economic Policy Research in London and at Network for Studies on Pensions, Ageing and Retirement in the Netherlands. Both he and Ødegaard have previously served on expert groups advising Norges Bank.The private equity group includes Trond Døskeland, associate professor at the Norwegian School of Economics, and Per Strömberg, professor at the Stockholm School of Economics. Norway’s ministry of finance has appointed two expert groups to review aspects of how its NOK7.7trn (€823bn) sovereign wealth fund invests.One group will look at the management of the Government Pension Fund Global (GPFG), analysing the performance of its active management. It will make a recommendation regarding whether the size of the fund’s relative risk budget – or expected tracking error limit – should be adjusted.The second group is to assess whether the fund should be allowed to invest in unlisted equities. Although Norges Bank Investment Management (NBIM) – part of the central bank Norges Bank and the fund’s manager – is already allowed to invest in unlisted real estate and in unlisted companies where that company intends to seek a listing, it cannot generally invest in private equity. The management review group is to submit its report by January 2018, the finance ministry said, while the private equity group has a December 2017 deadline for its report.last_img read more

Ex-Liverpool player quarantined after hugging Coronavirus patient

first_img Kahlenberg, who played 47 matches for Denmark between 2003 and 2014 and also played for clubs Auxerre and VfL Wolfsburg before retiring in 2017, tested positive on Thursday and has been in quarantine, Brondby said in a statement. The statement said Kahlenberg, who played for Denmark at the 2010 World Cup, was infected during a visit to Amsterdam. Brondby said 13 employees had been put in isolation, including the general manager Ole Palma, defender Joel Kabongo and assistant coach Martin Retov. Lyngby said three players, who were in physical contact with Kahlenberg on Sunday, had been put in isolation. Both teams have league games this weekend. The Danish FA said that all matches will go ahead as planned this coming weekend, but that it is monitoring the situation. read also: ​Coronavirus: Premier League and EFL ban pre-match handshakes The clubs said they are working with the Danish Patient Authority to track down players, fans and members of staff who were in contact with Kahlenberg during Sunday’s match. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Ajax have told assistant coach Christian Poulsen and two other members of training staff to stay away from the club because of fears they might be infected with the coronavirus. Poulsen won’t be on Ajax’s bench this weekend The trio must stay at home until next Friday after Poulsen came in contact with former Danish international Thomas Kahlenberg, who has since been diagnosed with the virus. Kahlenberg was celebrating Poulsen’s 40th birthday in the Netherlands last Sunday. The other two are exercise physiologist Alessandro Schoenmaker and an unnamed physiotherapist who were also at the party. “They have no symptoms and if it stays that way they will return to work next week,” an Ajax spokesman told Dutch media. Poulsen, the former Juventus and Liverpool midfielder, will not be able to take his place on the bench alongside coach Erik ten Hag when Ajax travel to Heerenveen at the weekend. Players from Danish Super League clubs Brondby and Lyngby are in isolation after they met and hugged Kahlenberg, who has since tested positive for coronavirus, at a match last weekend. Loading… center_img Promoted Content10 Phones That Can Easily Fit In The Smallest PocketEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show YouThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MorePretty Awesome Shows That Just Got Canceled7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better8 Addictive And Fun Coffee FactsBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually TrueBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?last_img read more