Blogs

ISTEP+ Scores Kept Sealed, Reporting Issues With Test

first_imgBy James PolstonTheStatehouseFile.comINDIANAPOLIS—Parents, students, and teachers awaiting the results of the spring 2018 ISTEP+ tests will have to wait a little bit longer.The Indiana Department of Education released a statement Thursday saying it will not be presenting ISTEP+ results as planned at the Sept. 5 meeting of the State Board of Education. The results had been embargoed until then.In a separate statement released later Thursday, IDOE reported they have received word this week from Pearson that there are issues involving a 10th-grade mathematics graphing item and third through eighth and 10thgrade document image reconciliation associated with the final ISTEP+ spring 2018 results.Pearson Education is a British-owned education publishing and assessment service that the IDOE uses to administer the ISTEP+ test.IDOE said officials are currently working with Pearson to reconcile the data for the affected students and redeliver final data and reporting. The department also said it anticipates only a small percentage of students in third through eighth and 10th grade will be affected. Further updates will be provided as more information is made available.Footnote: James Polston is a reporter for TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students. FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmailSharelast_img read more

Nigeria, Uganda, Mali, Morocco qualify for Cup of Nations

first_imgIf Tanzania win in Lesotho on Sunday they will return to the African football showcase after a 39-year absence.An early Moussa Doumbia goal gave Mali a 1-0 victory and left Gabon, who were without injured star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, needing a matchday 6 victory in Burundi to qualify from Group C.A draw will suffice for Burundi, who are ranked 142nd in the world and seeking a first Cup of Nations appearance.Morocco qualified when Group B rivals Malawi lost 2-1 away to out-of-contention Comoros in Mitsamiouli.The Comoran victory in the multi-island Indian Ocean state gave Morocco an unassailable six-point advantage over Malawi.El Fardou Mohamed Ben Nabouhane, who has been playing for Red Star Belgrade in the UEFA Champions League, gave the Comoros a second-minute lead.Patrick Phiri equalised after 53 minutes and Nasser Chamed scored the winner in the 70th minute on an artificial pitch.Leaders Morocco and second-placed Cameroon qualify from the group, with the latter assured of a place because they are hosting the tournament between June 15-July 13.Cameroon are involved in the qualifying competition to gain match practice before defending the title they won in Gabon last year by defeating Egypt 2-1 in the final.Morocco climbed above Cameroon into first place in Group B on Friday after beating them 2-0 in Casablanca thanks to a second-half brace from Hakim Ziyech.Senegal won 1-0 in Equatorial Guinea with a Luis Meseguer own-goal soon after half-time deciding a dead rubber Group A match in Bata.Benin missed out on qualification from Group D this weekend after collapsing towards the end of their clash with The Gambia to lose 3-1 after taking the lead in Bakau.Guinea-Bissau forced a 0-0 Group K draw in Namibia and will compete at successive Cup of Nations tournaments if they beat Mozambique at home in the final round of games.Share on: WhatsApp FILE PHOTO: Nigerian players salute their fansJohannesburg, South Africa | AFP | Nigeria, Uganda, Mali and Morocco qualified for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations on Saturday while Libya scored eight goals to keep alive their hopes of also featuring at the finals.Nigeria drew 1-1 with South Africa in Soweto, Uganda edged Cape Verde 1-0 in Kampala, Mali beat Gabon in Libreville and Morocco went through after rivals Malawi lost in the Comoros.Libya triumphed 8-1 in the Seychelles and host South Africa next March on the final matchday needing a win to accompany Nigeria in qualifying from Group E.The Libyans just missed equalling the record away winning margin for a Cup of Nations qualifier held by Ghana, who won 9-1 in Niger 49 years ago.A total of nine nations have booked places at the newly-extended 24-team finals with hosts Cameroon, Madagascar, Senegal, Egypt and Tunisia securing berths before this weekend.Nigeria, the three-time former champions who had failed to qualify for the last two editions, were ahead in South Africa within nine minutes when Buhle Mkhwanazi scored an own goal.Outstanding South African Percy Tau set up the equaliser for Lebo Mothiba on 26 minutes, but the hosts were fortunate as several contentious offside decisions went against Nigeria.“A draw feels like a victory because of the heat (32 degrees celsius/90 fahrenheit) and getting little sleep on our overnight flight,” said Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr.Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari was among those who hailed the Super Eagles for qualifying.“The president joins millions of football-loving Nigerians in commending the team for their spirited and disciplined performance against a very formidable opponent,” a statement said.South Africa coach Stuart Baxter said: “I am proud that we have taken four points off Nigeria in the group and disappointed that we were not braver during the second half.”Anis Saltou bagged a hat-trick in Victoria as Libya humiliated the Seychelles, whose 188th world ranking is the lowest among the 48 teams in the qualifying competition.Meanwhile Patrick Kaddu’s 79th-minute goal not only assured Uganda of first place in Group L, it opened the door for Tanzania to also qualify.– 39-year absence –last_img read more

Susan G. Komen Florida Names 2020 Warriors In Pink

first_imgSusan G. Komen Florida announced their 2020 Warriors in Pink on October 15, 2019 at the organization’s “Pink Flamingo Party” at the Palm Beach Zoo.  The festive atmosphere reflected the spirit of the nine chosen survivors and their passion for defeating breast cancer as ambassadors for Komen and the 2020 South Florida Race for the Cure on January 25, 2020 in Downtown West Palm Beach.The 2020 Warriors in Pink demonstrate the disease can strike anyone, regardless of family history, age, ethnicity, race or gender.  They will carry their message of breast cancer awareness to their own communities and take action collectively to create a groundswell of support in South Florida to help Komen reach its Bold Goal to reduce U.S. breast cancer deaths by 50% by 2026. The 2020 Komen Florida Warriors in Pink are:Kay Alvarez, age 43, West Palm BeachKay is a one-year survivor. Despite undergoing seven surgeries, Kay remained filled with determination, perseverance and persistence due to her family. Kay is determined to do her absolute best to raise awareness about early detection because that is what saved her. Tanya Burke, age 52, West Palm BeachTanya is a two-year survivor.  She found her breast cancer early thanks to a self-exam that detected a lump that was later diagnosed as Stage 1A triple negative breast cancer. As a single African American woman, she wants to set an example of looking within for inspiration and helping more women of color become visible in the fight. Heidi Kirk Garcia, age 50, JupiterHeidi is a four-year survivor.  She believes that early detection saved her life and stresses the importance of annual mammograms.  Heidi shares that breast cancer is a “family” diagnosis, crediting her loved ones for getting her through treatment, and also recognizes her fellow employees at NextEra Energy/FPL who share their breast cancer experiences and support each other daily. Denise Kaslow, age 57, Palm Beach GardensDenise is a 20-year survivor.  She has been involved with the Race for Cure for the past 21 years, serving as a Race team captain and repeatedly recognized as a top ten individual fundraiser.  She has also participated in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Walk four times in cities across the U.S. She hopes that her support of Komen will be an inspiration to others so that one day there will be a world without breast cancer. Sabine Millien-Felix, age 58, West Palm BeachSabine is a survivor of less than one year.  She has vowed to assist other women going through breast cancer personally by reaching out to those paralyzed with fear who don’t know what to do—especially those in her Haitian community—as well as professionally by lending her guidance for working with insurance companies to get much needed treatments. Kim Brisky, age 57, Hobe SoundKim is a one-year+ survivor.  She was diagnosed on April Fool’s Day 2018.  The timing may have foreshadowed one of the important things Kim leaned on to get her through her journey: a sense of humor.  She hopes to pay forward the love and support she has been given by her family and co-workers by helping other patients through their journeys.center_img About Susan G. Komen®Susan G. Komen® is the world’s leading nonprofit breast cancer organization, working to save lives and end breast cancer forever. Komen has an unmatched, comprehensive 360-degree approach to fighting this disease across all fronts and supporting millions of people in the U.S. and in countries worldwide.  We advocate for patients, drive research breakthroughs, improve access to high-quality care, offer direct patient support and empower people with trustworthy information.  Born out of a promise between two sisters, Susan G. Komen remains committed to supporting those affected by breast cancer today, while tirelessly searching for tomorrow’s cures. Betsy Burden, age 59, Palm Beach GardensBetsy is a 13-year survivor.  As one of the founding members of the Christ Fellowship Cancer Support Group, Betsy comforts other cancer patients, and as the president of the Lighthouse Dragons Breast Cancer Survivor Dragon Boat Team, she offers survivors and their supporters the many benefits of healthy exercise and sisterhood camaraderie. Brie Pestano, age 34, Boynton BeachBrie is a two-year breast cancer survivor.  She wants to help other young breast cancer patients stay strong mentally as much as possible, believing a positive attitude is essential to overcoming the battle.  Brie is also determined to find a way to help create a network where women can share information that may help physicians and scientists determine the cause for the disease.The 2020 Warriors in Pink will share their experiences with the community throughout the year and have a special role at the Komen South Florida Race for the Cure on January 25th in Downtown West Palm Beach.  They will lead hundreds of survivors to the Meyer Amphitheatre stage during the Survivor Recognition Ceremony, where all will be recognized for their fight against breast cancer.  Following the ceremony, the Warriors will lead all survivors on the 5K walk along Flagler Drive.  They will follow a Ford pace car, the national supporter of the Warriors in Pink program devoted to recognizing women who live by the credo of taking charge, living out loud, harnessing power and standing together.“Our Warriors are an inspiration to all that we will not let breast cancer defeat us,” said Kate Watt, executive director of Komen Florida.  “They are helping us take the fight to every corner of our community to drive awareness and save lives because they know if it can happen to them, it can happen to anyone.”To learn more about the Race for the Cure and Warriors in Pink, visit https://komenflorida.org/2020-warriors-in-pink/.About Susan G. Komen® and Komen Florida: Komen Florida is helping fuel research, advocate for patients and support people facing breast cancer locally through a variety of direct patient-centered services and by collaborating with area providers to remove barriers and connect people to needed care across the state of Florida. For more information, call (561) 514-3020 or visit www.komenflorida.org. James Keegan, age 71, Palm CityJames is a six-year breast cancer survivor.  His mission is to raise awareness that men can also get breast cancer, encourage them to examine themselves and ask their physicians to examine their breasts during their annual physicals, and take action at the first sign of an issue.last_img read more

Jury Begins Deliberating in Roger Stone Trial

first_img(Washington D.C.) — Jurors are beginning deliberations to decide whether Broward resident, Roger Stone lied to Congress.The case went to the jury Wednesday after prosecutors and attorneys for the Republican operative gave their closing arguments.Stone faces seven charges over what he might have known about the release of Democratic campaign information by WikiLeaks during the 2016 presidential campaign.Stone, who did not take the stand in his own defense, is charged with witness tampering, obstruction of justice and lying to Congress.The 67-year-old Trump ally could face prison time if convicted. Stone has denied knowing about the WikiLeaks’ releases ahead of time and he has pleaded not guilty.Stone was arrested by heavily armed SWAT agents at his home in Broward County. The raid scared his wife who is hard of hearing. The raid was captured by CNN’s camera crew who happened to be on the scene at the time of the take down.last_img read more

The US officially raises the tobacco buying age to 21

first_imgAccording to the US Food and Drug Administration,  under the new bill, it will now be illegal for a retailer to sell any tobacco product — including cigarettes, cigars and e-cigarettes — to anyone under 21 years of age.So far, a number of states have raised the minimum age to buy tobacco products to 21, including Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and Washington.Checkout the full list of cities and towns who also have raised the age according to the nonprofit Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids. On December 20, 2019, President Donald Trump signed a new law that will amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and raise the federal minimum age of sale of tobacco products from 18 to 21 years.Donald Trump made the announcement via Twitter:last_img read more

Iran Retaliates by Launching Missiles at US Base in Iraq

first_imgIran has started its retaliation “Operation Revenge” for Soleimani’s death by striking multiple US bases in Iraq, with what it seems to be dubbing “Operation Qassem Soleimani.” In a departure from their usual practice, the IRGC are claiming the attack, whose stated objective is to drive US out of the region.Iran has launched surface to air missile’s and at the base housing American troops in a Iraq.The attack was launched at the same time that the general was killed by a drone missile five days ago outside the Baghdad airport.last_img read more

“Forever chemicals” were found in the drinking water in Miami, other major US cities

first_imgNew tests show that potentially toxic chemicals are in the drinking water supplies of several major US cities, including Miami, New Orleans and Washington, DC,.The Environmental Working Group reported that PFAS, which are manmade chemicals, are referred to as “forever chemicals” because they don’t break down once they’re in the environment.They’re found now in nonstick products, paints, cleaning products and food packaging. The forever chemicals can harm the liver, kidney, and can lead to cancer and reproductive and developmental issues.The group tested 44 sites in 31 states and Washington. The Environmental Working Group said that the only area with clean drinking water is Meridian, Mississippi, which gets its water from a 600-foot-deep well. The areas with the highest levels of chemicals are Brunswick County, North Carolina, and Quad Cities, Iowa,last_img read more

Florida man accused of filming coworkers in day care bathroom

first_imgSt. Petersburg police say a cafeteria worker at Lew Williams Center for Early Learning is facing a video voyeurism charge.30-year-old Julin Nichols was arrested on Monday after co-workers say they found a cellphone taped under the sink and facing the toilet in a bathroom.Police didn’t say whether any children were involved in the investigation, or how many people were recorded by the phone.Officials are still investigating the case.last_img

JetBlue Flight Diverts to PBIA Due to Smoke; No Injuries Reported

first_imgA JetBlue flight that was heading from the Bahamas to New York with 143 people aboard was diverted to Palm Beach International Airport Thursday afternoon.Local and federal authorities say the crew declared an emergency due to a report of smoke in the cockpit.No one was hurt as Flight 421, which originally departed from Nassau for John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, landed at PBIA, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.Palm Beach County Fire-Rescue officials add that the smoke was limited to the cockpit and had already dissipated by the time firefighters boarded the aircraft.The FAA is investigating the cause of the incident.Officials at PBIA say the passengers were deplaned but did not have additional information about their travel plans.last_img read more