As Ebola hysteria dies down in the United States, the international community should not lose sight of a larger issue highlighted by the epidemic — the need to improve health care systems in the poorest African countries, writes Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) Professor Richard Marlink in new commentary. He advises world leaders to take their cues from the U.S. government’s President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program.HSPH received a total of $362 million from the program for work in Botswana, Nigeria, and Tanzania that included training health care workers, developing monitoring and evaluation systems, strengthening health care infrastructures, and collaborating with local hospitals and clinics that provide treatment for AIDS patients. HSPH’s PEPFAR grants wound down in 2012, and researchers at the School worked with partner organizations to transition activities to full local ownership.Marlink, who is Bruce A. Beal, Robert L. Beal, and Alexander S. Beal Professor of the Practice of Public Health, helped launch and run HSPH’s PEPFAR efforts in Botswana. In his commentary, published November 14, 2014 on GlobalPost, Marlink describes lessons learned from PEPFAR’s success: Focus on outcomes, establish local partnerships, and leave countries better equipped to deal with other health issues. Read Full Story
Bach also came under fire for reinstating the Russian National Olympic Committee after the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics despite failed drugs tests there.He is credited, however, with having put in place the Olympic Agenda 2020, reforms aimed at cutting costs and streamlining bidding processes to better attract potential host cities.But the German lawyer and businessman could well have his biggest challenge ahead of him, in the form of the COVID-19 pandemic, with Beijing scheduled to host the 2022 Winter Olympics just six months after the proposed Tokyo Games.The IOC Session also saw Sebastian Coe, the head of World Athletics, voted in as an IOC member after being turned down several times.Coe, the two-time Olympic 1,500 metres champion for Britain who became head of track and field’s world governing body in 2015, was blocked from membership as recently as December over a conflict of interest.But Coe changed his role at the marketing company he is currently running as managing director to a passive position, thus paving the way to IOC membership.Coe’s belated entry into the IOC club is significant because he has been mentioned as a potential future president of the Olympic movement.“Thank you to all of you who voted for our sport, our federation today,” said Coe. Bach said the scenario of holding the Games without spectators was one that had been examined, although he stressed that he was opposed to the idea. “It’s one of the scenarios we have to look in to because the debate has to do with travel restrictions and quarantine. “It’s too early to tell (if there will be no spectators). It’s not what we want. We want stadia full of enthusiastic fans.” Tokyo 2020 organisers said Friday they had secured all the venues needed to hold the Olympics next summer, clearing a major hurdle to hosting the event. They added that refunds for ticketholders unable to attend the rescheduled games will begin in late 2020. – Influential – Bach was elected an IOC member at the age of 37 and went on to play a series of influential roles within the organisation before being elected its ninth president. Under his reign as IOC chief, Bach has had to grapple with several political challenges, and has notably overseen the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and the 2016 Rio Summer Games, both perceived as the most troublesome in recent years. He has also been a key player in the ongoing Russian doping saga, although the IOC came in for criticism from some quarters for not issuing Moscow with a blanket ban over its state-sponsored doping system. Promoted ContentWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?A Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your Body8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksBest Car Manufacturers In The WorldCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body?8 Things To Expect If An Asteroid Hits Our PlanetThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More8 Things You Didn’t Know About Coffee Loading… Read Also: Lampard cautions Chelsea stars to forget revenge talk against Man Utd“I look forward, our whole sport looks forward, to working even more closely with all of you in reforming and building all sports because at this time, of all times, the need for community in elite sport to thrive and flourish is probably never more important.”As Coe signed his IOC oath, Bach let slip a telling greeting: “Finally, welcome!”FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Thomas Bach said Friday he will stand in 2021 for a second term as president of the International Olympic Committee, admitting however there is “no solution today” to the challenges posed by coronavirus to the postponed Tokyo Games. The 66-year-old German was elected for an eight-year term as Olympic chief in September 2013, taking over from Belgian Jacques Rogge. Bach will be eligible for a second and final four-year term. Speaking at an IOC Session held virtually because of the COVID-19 pandemic, Bach said: “If you, the IOC members, want, I am ready to run for a second term as IOC president and to continue to serve you and this Olympic movement we all love so much for another four years.” The IOC presidential elections are slated to take place in Athens in June 2021. Bach, who won gold for West Germany in the foil fencing team event at the 1976 Olympics, claimed a large number of IOC members had recently approached him asking if he would seek re-election. “I am grateful and deeply touched by the many words of encouragement and confidence,” Bach said. Turning to the Tokyo Olympics, which were postponed in March until July 2021, Bach expressed hope that they could be “a unique milestone for the entire world”. “They will be the first worldwide gathering after coronavirus.” But Bach warned that the unprecedented health situation meant multiple scenarios were being considered in planning the format for Tokyo. “There is no solution today, it is too much (to be) expected,” he said. Thomas Bach said he wanted Olympic venues like the National Stadium in Tokyo to be full of spectators
(Letter to the Sports Editor)Please allow me space in your newspaper to respond to an article in the Guyana Chronicle Edition of 12th October, 2017, under the headline “BCB President says Election was free, fair and transparent” written by Rajiv Bisnauth. It was simply unbelievable that someone who has spent over 30 years as an educator would allow his character to be stained with the most rigged election ever held in Guyana’s sporting arena and then described it as free, fair and transparent. The Berbice Cricket Board Election on Sunday 8th October, 2017, would go down in history as the most rigged, untransparent and abuse of power to ever take place in the history of sports in Guyana.The “Selected” President pleaded for a chance for cricket to move forward and for Court cases to be shelved. One is left to wonder why he didn’t ask the same of his current Vice President and Treasurer who tied up the Anil Beharry Administration for two full years with a Court Injunction. Beharry won by a clear majority and yet was denied the opportunity to lead. The four votes by Rose Hall Town and Young Warriors would not have affected Beharry’s victory, but Somwaru didn’t have the courage to beg his now close friends to give Berbice Cricket a chance.The entire Berbice Cricketing public is very upset over the recent election which was clearly rigged and corrupted. The objective was not for the development of Berbice Cricket, but rather to protect at all costs the current leadership of the Guyana Cricket Board.For the sake of Berbice Cricket fans, can the Berbice Cricket Board President explain the following:a) Why was a Five Star Hotel chosen for the meeting? Was it because it was private property and access to the Election Hall could be prevented. b) Godwyn Allicock (is) one of the persons responsible for the Injunction against the Berbice Cricket Board for two years. Is it true that you authorised him to serve as a “bouncer” at the entrance of the elevator to the Hall and to turn away people who were not your supporters.The same Allicock later turned up as a delegate of Port Mourant, a candidate on your slate and later as your “selected” treasurer.c) Why was your rival for the Presidency denied access to the Election Hall? Is it true that was because he was not from a voting club? Can you explain to the public which club you were representing? d) Why was the two West Indies Cricket Directors, a former Guyana Cricket Board President, a University of Guyana Professor who has no linkage to cricket, allowed in the Hall.e) Why was Leslie Solomon and Raymond Mohamed allowed to pretend to be Mt. Sinai delegates when they have no connections to the Club. This resulted in the elected officials of the club being stopped from voting as mandated by the Club’s membership.f) Why was the Rose Hall Estate Community Centre mandated delegates refused permission to vote, based on a faked letterhead submitted by one of your closest advisors.The members of the Club had met and voted for their delegates and even decided who to support for the Presidency. Why then was the Club denied their voting rights? Is it because you knew that they were not supporting you.g) Why were Guymine, Mental Hospital and Kildonan stopped from voting when they had proper documents with their memberships? They could not have paid any membership fees to the Berbice Cricket Board because the High Court had ruled that your executives were illegal. The elections of the three clubs were widely published in the national media.h) Eighteen delegates allegedly signed a document supporting Dru Bahadur for the post of Returning Officer.Since only twelve delegates were supporting you, who were the other six.One Police delegate has already stated that he did not sign any letter to support Dru Bahadur but rather to indicate his presence at the meeting. Did the five other signatures included the fake delegates from Rose Hall Estate, Canje and Mt. Sinai.i) Do twelve out of 34 delegates form a quorum for an election?j) Why was nomination for the Presidency closed in less than five seconds? Why (was) the President of the Upper Corentyne Cricket Association prevented from nominating Hilbert Foster? Did you not trust your own 12 delegates?k) Who paid membership fees for Blairmont, Upper Corentyne, Chesney, Mt. Sinai and Police? Delegates at the meeting openly stated that no fees were paid. Even if it was paid by fake members, who received it on behalf of an illegal Cricket Board?Finally, Mr. Somwaru owes the cricketing public of Berbice an explanation on who paid for the rental of the Five Star Hotel, meals and the bar. The Berbice Cricket Board transported a whole Under-13 cricket team in a car, provide Kool Aid as refreshments for our youths, but somehow found funds for an International Hotel. You complained in the media that sponsorship was hard to obtain, but funds suddenly appeared to host the most rigged election. The business sector should not support this illegal body who stole the voting rights of 20 delegates (8 clubs and the Upper Corentyne Cricket Association).Yours in Sports,Berbice Cricket Fan
The Tipp Town club face Abbeyfeale FC of Limerick in the Munster League Champions Cup Final.Saints’ player/manager James Walsh says he isn’t worried about the favourites tag being put on his side.Kick-off in Newcastlewest is at 1.45pm.