Blogs

The Marcus King Band Announces The Revivalists, Billy Strings, & More For Family Reunion Festival

first_imgThe Marcus King Band is one of the fastest rising acts on the music scene. At the age of 22, Marcus King is already known as a force to be reckoned with, with his list of sit-ins and collaborations serving as a shortlist for some of the biggest names in the music scene. Today, King expands his resume with the announcement of his second-annual music festival, The Marcus King Band Family Reunion, which will take place on October 6th and 7th and Pisgah Brewing Company in Black Mountain, North Carolina.In addition to two sets from The Marcus King Band, The Revivalists, Billy Strings, Devon Allman Project (feat. Duane Betts), Nikki Lane, Carl Broemel (My Morning Jacket), Naughty Professor, Geoff Achison Music, DeRobert & The Half-Truths, The Shady Recruits, and Steelism have all been announced for the 2018 installment. More artists will be announced in the future.For more information on The Marcus King Band Family Reunion, head to the ticketing website here. Furthermore, the Marcus King Band has a huge summer ahead of them, with most of July spent on the road with Tedeschi Trucks Band and the Drive-By Truckers as part of the annual Wheels of Soul tour. For a full list of upcoming dates, head to MKB’s official website.last_img read more

The Latest: Mets hitting coach off-site when camp opens

first_imgThe New York Post was first to report that the 60-year-old Davis won’t be on site at Citi Field for the beginning of practices because of concerns about the coronavirus.“The timeline for him to join us is uncertain yet,” new Mets manager Luis Rojas said on a video call Thursday.The Post, citing anonymous sources in its report, said Davis does not have the virus.Rojas said all other coaches and players have reported for intake screening. Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater will substitute on site for Davis, who lives in Arizona during the offseason.“I think we’re going to get the best of Chili whether he’s with us at the start of camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we’re in constant communication. Chili and I practically talk every day and he’s in communication with the coaches,” Rojas said. “So he’s going to be helping us. He’s a great asset, he’s got great knowledge, great experience. He helps the players with hitting, with playing the game. He helps the coaches as well with his view of the game. So he is going to be working remotely and we’re going to feel his presence.” Djokovic was the fourth player to come down with the virus after participating in matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.___Swiss soccer club St. Gallen says a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.The Swiss league leaders say they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while recovering from a serious knee injury.The 22-year-old forward tested positive upon his return. The club says he does not have symptoms and is in self-quarantine. The Latest: Mets hitting coach off-site when camp opens St. Gallen says Babić has not had contact with his teammates.Attention on Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases followed Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players testing positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The virtual race is open for those who had already registered for the real one, which was scheduled for April 20 and then put off until Sept. 14 before it was canceled.The Boston Athletic Association says it is encouraging the more than 10,000 volunteers who had signed up to give back to their communities in another way. They can receive their volunteer jacket or donate it to a front-line worker.___The French Open will be held with fans when it starts in September.The French Tennis Federation has written on Twitter that tickets will go on sale to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not give more information as to how many fans will be allowed at Roland Garros for the Sept. 27-Oct. Oct. 11 tournament. The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared by staff for delivery.Wimbledon says it is a “small gesture of appreciation for the dedicated service of the NHS during what would have been The Championships Fortnight.”Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II because of the pandemic. The tournament had been scheduled to start on Monday.The link between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy but the main theory has to do with timing. Strawberry season in Britain just happens to coincide with the tennis tournament.Cream is optional. The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signings, will be honored.___Finishers of the virtual Boston Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of having a volunteer drape it around their necks on Boylston Street.Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners will have from Sept. 7-14 to complete the 26.2-mile distance and submit proof. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one continuous run.Also included in the post-race package will be a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___New York Mets hitting coach Chili Davis will continue working remotely when the team’s summer camp opens Friday.center_img The clay-court tournament had been scheduled to start on May 24. It then got postponed to Sept. 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then pushed back another week.The FFT has prepared a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of fans.___West Indies cricket coach Phil Simmons has mixed with his squad again in Manchester after passing his latest test for the coronavirus.Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had been self-isolating in his hotel room at Old Trafford. He had been watching the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony but was allowed to interact with his players after passing a third consecutive virus test.The first test against England starts on Wednesday.___The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has led to a “berry” big boon for health care workers in London.The All England Club says it will donate 200 portions of strawberries to workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic every day. Associated Press ___Boise State is cutting its baseball and women’s swimming and diving programs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.The program cuts, along with additional department and program operating reductions, will reduce the overall athletic budget by nearly $3 million.“This is one of the hardest decisions athletic departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey said in a statement Thursday.The cut to baseball comes after the program was recently reinstated. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was being added after it had been discontinued following the 1980 season. The 2020 season was Boise State’s return, but the Broncos played only 14 games before the season was canceled. July 2, 2020 ___Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the pandemic.His media team says “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade.”The statement says both had no symptoms and that they were in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since testing positive 10 days ago.last_img read more

Schoolboy players inconsistent – Stewart

first_imgVeteran coach Bradley Stewart believes the current Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association/FLOW Manning Cup and daCosta Cup competitions are gifted with talented players, but points to faulty thinking and decision-making for inconsistent performances and poor results.”Young players will one day play up here. Another day, they play down here. Until we can get the majority of our players to be thinking the same way, we are gonna have problems,” he said of teams in the competition.Stewart, a former assistant coach for the Reggae Boyz, is now in his second season in charge of Calabar High. Before that, he won the Walker Cup title at Jamaica College.The coach maintains that he is hopeful of Calabar’s chances this season, considering that about half of last year’s team have returned.He said Calabar’s strengths are coordination and passing, but again blamed inconsistent defending in games.The Red Hills Road-based school remains unbeaten with two wins and two draws, and lie in second place in Group A on eight points, two behind defending champions Jamaica College, who they drew 2-2 with in their first game this season.WEAKNESS AMONG TEAMS”What I would suggest is that consistency is not necessarily a strength of schoolboy players. When you look at St George’s College, they were able to beat a team 9-0 in the second match. They still won the [other] game, but by two goals against a team that is not regarded as championship contender,” assessed Stewart.He added: “When you look out in the country for example, Cornwall College demolished a team 8-1, then drew the other game 1-1. So there seems to be a inconsistency among young players – how they themselves see the game, how they see opposing teams. A lot of times, this factors into how they approach games.”The coach also criticised aspects of refereeing in the match where Calabar drew 1-1 with Clan Carthy High, which was played at the Alpha Boys’ football field last Friday.last_img read more

Conte defends Christensen after Barca slip-up

first_img0Shares0000Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde thinks that manager Antonio Conte is Chelsea’s biggest strengthLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 21 – Chelsea manager Antonio Conte had only kind words for Andreas Christensen despite his costly error in Tuesday’s 1-1 draw with Barcelona in the Champions League.Willian gave the Blues the lead after twice hitting the post at Stamford Bridge, but a misplaced pass from the Dane allowed Andres Iniesta to tee up Lionel Messi for an away-goal equaliser. “It was a great performance, an incredible performance,” Conte said after leaving club captain Gary Cahill on the bench to go with Christensen, Antonio Rudiger, and Cesar Azpilicueta in central defence.“He is only 21 and it is great he can play with that maturity. He was one of the best players. He played a top game and I am very pleased for his performance.“I don’t remember a great save from Thibaut. They had the one chance in the first half with Paulinho and then the second half with [Luis] Suarez.“I think we played a really good game and I must be pleased because my players made a great effort. They followed the plan, the programme we prepared.“They showed themselves to be a really strong team, a fantastic team, but we showed that if we are ready to work very hard together defensively but at the same time when you continue to have the right feeling with the ball to create the chance to score I think that we can try to do something incredible at Camp Nou.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more