By James PolstonTheStatehouseFile.comINDIANAPOLIS—Parents, students, and teachers awaiting the results of the spring 2018 ISTEP+ tests will have to wait a little bit longer.The Indiana Department of Education released a statement Thursday saying it will not be presenting ISTEP+ results as planned at the Sept. 5 meeting of the State Board of Education. The results had been embargoed until then.In a separate statement released later Thursday, IDOE reported they have received word this week from Pearson that there are issues involving a 10th-grade mathematics graphing item and third through eighth and 10thgrade document image reconciliation associated with the final ISTEP+ spring 2018 results.Pearson Education is a British-owned education publishing and assessment service that the IDOE uses to administer the ISTEP+ test.IDOE said officials are currently working with Pearson to reconcile the data for the affected students and redeliver final data and reporting. The department also said it anticipates only a small percentage of students in third through eighth and 10th grade will be affected. Further updates will be provided as more information is made available.Footnote: James Polston is a reporter for TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students. FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Stuff.co.nz 7 Dec 2011Child advocates are hailing new laws giving sweeping powers to prosecute all those turning a blind eye to assaults on the very young. The Crimes Amendment Act (No3) becomes law on March 19 and will allow police to charge everyone in a household with failing to protect a child. The maximum sentence is 10 years’ jail. The new law comes as a result of the public outcry following the murder of the Kahui twins for which no-one has been held responsible after a jury acquitted the twins’ father. However, the extended family’s infamous “code of silence” was typical of such cases, pediatricians say. In Taranaki, a serious assault of a 14-month-old, who suffered a fractured skull, was dropped last month for lack of evidence.Starship children’s hospital paediatrician Patrick Kelly welcomes the law which allows everyone in a house where the abuse took place to be charged. The message is that they should have protected the abused child. “If you can’t determine which of the adults in the house did it you charge all of them – or none of them.” However, the law change should have gone further, he said. The code of silence within families was an issue throughout the world. In Britain, the same “failing to protect” law was implemented but went further to limit the right to silence. “The UK has shown it’s possible to modify the law. For some reason New Zealand did not follow through with changing the right to silence.”http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/6097019/Tougher-law-to-protect-children-hailed
The New York Post was first to report that the 60-year-old Davis won’t be on site at Citi Field for the beginning of practices because of concerns about the coronavirus.“The timeline for him to join us is uncertain yet,” new Mets manager Luis Rojas said on a video call Thursday.The Post, citing anonymous sources in its report, said Davis does not have the virus.Rojas said all other coaches and players have reported for intake screening. Assistant hitting coach Tom Slater will substitute on site for Davis, who lives in Arizona during the offseason.“I think we’re going to get the best of Chili whether he’s with us at the start of camp or whether he’s working remotely. I mean, we’re in constant communication. Chili and I practically talk every day and he’s in communication with the coaches,” Rojas said. “So he’s going to be helping us. He’s a great asset, he’s got great knowledge, great experience. He helps the players with hitting, with playing the game. He helps the coaches as well with his view of the game. So he is going to be working remotely and we’re going to feel his presence.” Djokovic was the fourth player to come down with the virus after participating in matches held in Belgrade and Zadar, Croatia. The others were three-time Grand Slam semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov, Borna Coric and Viktor Troicki.___Swiss soccer club St. Gallen says a player tested positive for coronavirus after visiting family in Serbia.The Swiss league leaders say they allowed Boris Babić to make the two-week trip while recovering from a serious knee injury.The 22-year-old forward tested positive upon his return. The club says he does not have symptoms and is in self-quarantine. The Latest: Mets hitting coach off-site when camp opens St. Gallen says Babić has not had contact with his teammates.Attention on Serbia’s rising number of coronavirus cases followed Novak Djokovic and three other tennis players testing positive at a tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia last month.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports The virtual race is open for those who had already registered for the real one, which was scheduled for April 20 and then put off until Sept. 14 before it was canceled.The Boston Athletic Association says it is encouraging the more than 10,000 volunteers who had signed up to give back to their communities in another way. They can receive their volunteer jacket or donate it to a front-line worker.___The French Open will be held with fans when it starts in September.The French Tennis Federation has written on Twitter that tickets will go on sale to the general public on July 16. The FFT did not give more information as to how many fans will be allowed at Roland Garros for the Sept. 27-Oct. Oct. 11 tournament. The club says more than 26,000 strawberries that would have been used for Wimbledon are being prepared by staff for delivery.Wimbledon says it is a “small gesture of appreciation for the dedicated service of the NHS during what would have been The Championships Fortnight.”Wimbledon was canceled this year for the first time since World War II because of the pandemic. The tournament had been scheduled to start on Monday.The link between Wimbledon and strawberries is muddy but the main theory has to do with timing. Strawberry season in Britain just happens to coincide with the tennis tournament.Cream is optional. The school said all scholarships for athletes in the affected programs, including incoming 2020 signings, will be honored.___Finishers of the virtual Boston Marathon will receive their medals in an Amazon package instead of having a volunteer drape it around their necks on Boylston Street.Race organizers announced plans for the event on Thursday. Runners will have from Sept. 7-14 to complete the 26.2-mile distance and submit proof. There is no time limit, but it must be completed in one continuous run.Also included in the post-race package will be a participation shirt, a program, a bottle opener and other unspecified celebratory items. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___New York Mets hitting coach Chili Davis will continue working remotely when the team’s summer camp opens Friday. The clay-court tournament had been scheduled to start on May 24. It then got postponed to Sept. 20 because of the coronavirus pandemic and then pushed back another week.The FFT has prepared a health and safety protocol to ensure the safety of fans.___West Indies cricket coach Phil Simmons has mixed with his squad again in Manchester after passing his latest test for the coronavirus.Simmons returned from his father-in-law’s funeral last week and had been self-isolating in his hotel room at Old Trafford. He had been watching the team’s intrasquad match from his balcony but was allowed to interact with his players after passing a third consecutive virus test.The first test against England starts on Wednesday.___The cancellation of the Wimbledon tennis tournament has led to a “berry” big boon for health care workers in London.The All England Club says it will donate 200 portions of strawberries to workers on the front line of the coronavirus pandemic every day. Associated Press ___Boise State is cutting its baseball and women’s swimming and diving programs as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.The program cuts, along with additional department and program operating reductions, will reduce the overall athletic budget by nearly $3 million.“This is one of the hardest decisions athletic departments have to make, but it comes at a time when we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,” Boise State athletic director Curt Apsey said in a statement Thursday.The cut to baseball comes after the program was recently reinstated. The school announced in 2017 that baseball was being added after it had been discontinued following the 1980 season. The 2020 season was Boise State’s return, but the Broncos played only 14 games before the season was canceled. July 2, 2020 ___Novak Djokovic says he and his wife have now tested negative for the coronavirus.The top-ranked player tested positive for the virus after playing in an exhibition series he organized in Serbia and Croatia with zero social distancing amid the pandemic.His media team says “Novak Djokovic and his wife Jelena are negative for COVID-19. That was shown by the results of the PCR tests that both had in Belgrade.”The statement says both had no symptoms and that they were in self-isolation in the Serbian capital since testing positive 10 days ago.