Read Full Story Katherine Burton Jones has been appointed assistant director and research adviser for the Harvard Extension School’s Master of Liberal Arts (ALM) program in Museum Studies.Jones has taught courses in the Museum Studies program for the last decade and has served as the program’s research adviser since 2004. Previously, she was the assistant dean for information technology and media services at Harvard Divinity School for nine years. She recently served as the director of development for the Museum of African American History in Boston and Nantucket, and has also served as a fundraising consultant for several local museums.From 1994 to 2000 she was an assistant director at Harvard’s Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology, where she was instrumental in demonstrating the importance of websites and multimedia to all of the Harvard museums. She was responsible for raising funds for the various public-facing technology projects that were carried out during her time, including the virtual exhibit, “Against the Winds: American Indian Running Traditions.” While at the Peabody she served on the boards of the Museum Computer Network, the New England Museum Association, and the Mildred Morse Allen Center of the Massachusetts Audubon Society.Jones replaces Linda Newberry, who shepherded the Museum Studies Program from a certificate to a master’s degree program, and was responsible for the successful completion of the program by countless students through the years.
All aboard! Jonathan Brody and Scott Burkell will join the one-night-only concert of the Tony-winning musical Titanic at Lincoln Center’s Avery Fisher Hall. Brody and Burkell are set to replace the previously announced Michael Mulheren and John Jellison as John B. Thayer and George Widener/Frank Carlson, respectively. Directed by Don Stephenson and featuring original cast members Michael Cerveris and Victoria Clark amongst others, Titanic will play February 17. Based on the real-life disaster of 1912, Maury Yeston and Peter Stone’s Tony-winning musical tells the story of the doomed ocean liner and the travelers aboard the so-called unsinkable ship. The show premiered on Broadway on April 23, 1997 and won five Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book. Titanic’s score includes “Godspeed Titanic,” “The Largest Floating Object in the World” and “I Must Get On that Ship.” Michael Cerveris A separate revival directed by Thom Southerland is set to dock on Broadway this fall. View Comments The cast of Titanic will also include Brian d’Arcy James as Frederick Barrett, Martin Moran as Harold Bride, David Garrison as J. Bruce Ismay, Becky Ann Baker as Charlotte Cardoza, John Bolton as Charles Lightoller, Ryan Silverman as Charles Clarke, Ron Raines as Isidor Straus, Clarke Thorell as Jim Farrell and Jill Paice as Caroline Neville. Victoria Clark Star Files Brian d’Arcy James
A sub-regional Military organization with the mission of contributing to the region’s security, development, and military integration, CFAC was founded by the presidents of El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua founded on November 12, 1997. It has sustained an ongoing and systematic effort of cooperation, coordination, and mutual support for the joint analysis of issues of common interest and providing an optimal level of defense against threats to democracy, peace, and freedom. By Dialogo October 19, 2015 “Our work focuses on jointly reflecting on the need for the Military to act in situations of armed conflict and missions to maintain public order,” said Pascal Pinot, the ICRC liaison to the Armed Forces and Security Forces of Central America. Lieutenant Colonel Sidney Marenco, FAES representative at the training, said these exercises demonstrate the ways illegal armed groups operate. The combat “We had the opportunity to learn details about how these groups are trying to move throughout Central America, threatening the security of our nations,” said Lt. Col. Marenco. “This exercise has allowed us to incorporate this knowledge in order to defend the civilian population from the threats they pose.” “When the population is able to see how we operate – as professionals who always aim to protect their rights without violating them – they then understand that we are not just prepared for a war,” said Dominican Republic Armed Forces representative Lieutenant Angelita Peña. “We are ready to protect them from serious threats such as the illegal armed groups.” “The officials have reaffirmed their understanding of human rights to protect civilians during operations against illegal armed groups,” said Brigadier General Mauricio Villacorta, director of the FAES Doctrine and Military Education Command. “This technological exercise also helped strengthen command and control, decision-making, and operational planning.” Officers from four Armies of Central America and the Dominican Republic recently tested their ability to make tactical and operational decisions during clashes with illegal armed groups by using simulators at the Computerized Tactical Training Center (CETAC) of the Armed Forces of El Salvador (FAES). Forging ties with the civilian population There, from September 21-25, forty participants from El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and the Dominican Republic attended the Conference of Central American Armed Forces’ (CFAC) first Computer Simulation Exercise Applied to the International Law of Armed Conflict. There, amid staged high-pressure combat situations, officers led Troops and managed Military resources to combat illegal armed organizations similar to those operating trafficking networks in the region. International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) delegates guided the Soldiers during the joint exercises. Since building a rapport with civilians was one of the training’s key components, Military officials learned to show civilians, through their knowledge and skills, that they are staunch allies of peace and security. Troops engaged in simulated combat scenarios in different environments, weather, and situations involving threats and Troop deployments, since conducting exercises in the real world with Troops on the ground would be far more costly. costlier. Promoting cooperation At the end of the computerized workshop, Derek Spranger, ICRC’s representative in El Salvador, spoke to the participants about the importance of the teamwork fostered through the CFAC. “The conference is an important forum within the framework of cooperation, the exchange of best practices, training, and brotherhood among those who devote their lives to the militaries of each of their countries.” “The teams undergo combat simulations – some without prior planning, with evolving scenarios, working together,” said Colonel Andrés Zamora of El Salvador, an engineer who served as one of the workshop instructors. “Crisis management and civilian assistance training exercises were also designed.”
A Dept. of Public Safety officer and his fiancee were found late Sunday dead from gunshots in a parked car in Irvine, Calif.The victims, who were found in the vehicle at about 9:10 p.m., were identified as Keith Lawrence, 27, and Monica Quan, 28. Gunshots were not reported that night, and the bodies were only found after a passerby noticed Lawrence slumped over the steering wheel, according to police. Law enforcement officials are continuing to investigate the crime as a double homicide, not a murder-suicide.Lawrence joined DPS in August 2012 and at the time of his death was assigned to patrol operations, according to DPS Capt David Carlisle. He was an armed officer and a graduate of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Academy. His fiancee Quan was a assistant basketball coach for the Cal State Fullerton women’s team. Both were graduates of Concordia University.DPS Chief John Thomas released a statement Monday regarding the shooting:“It is with great sadness and a very heavy heart that I announce the untimely death of a member of the DPS Family, PSO I Keith Lawrence. Officer Lawrence and his fiancée were discovered deceased earlier this morning; victims of a senseless act of violence in the City of Irvine.During his brief tenure of service here at USC, Officer Lawrence proved to be an honorable, compassionate and professional member of our department and the Trojan Family. We are a better department and the USC Campus Community is a safer place as a result of his service.Please continue to espouse those same values of honor, commitment to duty, professionalism and compassion as we continue to add to his legacy and those that we all share as members of the law enforcement/public safety community.I would also ask that you remember Keith and his fiancée’s families in your thoughts and prayers as they grieve and begin the healing process and move forward from this tragic loss of their loved ones.”
Over a month after dredge “Draga” sank at Pieremap Falls, Mazaruni River, Region Seven (Cuyuni-Mazaruni), efforts are now moving apace to salvage the wreckage.The vessel bearing registration number SD 3398 and owned by Crown Mining is expected to be removed from its present position in a matter of days.The operation is being untaken by the Natural Resources Ministry and several agencies including Crown Mining, to have the wreckage removed from the Mazaruni River since it is dangerously positioned.According to a statement issued by the Natural Resources Ministry, a crew of workers has built a specialised pontoon which will be used to bring to the surface the partly sunken dredge. The pontoon has three hydraulic winches and is 28 feet wide, 68 feet long and four feet deep. It has 18 compartments.“The plan is to fill the pontoon with water and then secure it to the sunken barge. The water will then be pumped out of the pontoon, which will cause it to rise up, taking the Draga with it. The pontoon when empty will have a lifting capacity of 180 tonnes,” the release stated.However, while the crew is at the site attempting to execute the plan, several challenges are now being encountered.The officials explained that the speed of the water at the top of the Pieremap Falls, coupled with a prolonged rainy season, is making the job even more difficult since the works entail underwater cutting.The works will soon be executed as the water levels drop, making the operation less dangerous. “The Ministry of Natural Resources will continue to monitor the situation in collaboration with the Maritime Administration Department,” the release added.
The blaze was ignited by flames that spread from a stolen car that was set ablaze, said Miller. “It was intentionally set, so that makes it arson,” he said. The car was a 2004 white Honda Civic that had been stolen from Riverside County, said John Nicoletti, spokesman for city of Anaheim. He said investigators had been in Riverside County all Monday working leads and were also reviewing security tape from Highway 241 to try to identify who ditched the car. “We’re looking for anybody who was traveling along the 241 toll road early Sunday that may have any information about seeing people around a vehicle such as that,” Nicoletti said. A red-flag alert for fire danger had been issued going into the weekend, and the forecast of winds, extremely low humidity and heat proved true as Southern California stayed on pace to have the driest winter in decades. ANAHEIM – A fierce blaze that whipped through brush lands among neighborhoods of multimillion-dollar homes during the weekend likely foreshadows an intense wildfire season as Southern California emerges from an abnormally dry winter, firefighters and forecasters said Monday. “With the current conditions we’re seeing, if we do have fires, we’re looking at real extreme fire behavior,” said Capt. Steve Miller of the Orange County Fire Authority. Even as firefighters predicted full containment of the 2,036-acre Anaheim Hills fire by 6 a.m. today, crews Monday had to jump on new blazes – 5 acres in Camarillo and about 10 acres in Los Angeles’ rugged Griffith Park. A 1,005-acre blaze that began Sunday in rural Riverside County was expected to be surrounded Monday evening. The Anaheim Hills blaze broke out Sunday and forced hundreds of people to temporarily leave their homes as hot, dry Santa Ana winds spread it over an area equal to about three square miles. One house was damaged and two outbuildings were destroyed. Another home initially reported as damaged was not harmed, Miller said. The last time it was this dry was in the 1923-24 season when 2.5 inches of rain was recorded through March 22, 1924. Only about 2.4 inches of rain have fallen in downtown Los Angeles since the July 1 start of the rain year, and forecasters said it was unlikely there would be any rain in March. Normal annual rainfall in Los Angeles is 11.43 inches. Santa Ana, Orange County’s seat, received only 1.81 inches of rain between July 1 and March 11 – about one-fifth of normal. At least four Orange County cities hit record highs Sunday, including Fullerton with 97. At 92 degrees, Los Angeles was one degree shy of breaking a record set in 1916. Temperatures to the east in Riverside County reached 104 degrees Sunday, a fire spokeswoman said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!