Blogs

FOB: Furlough scheme vital for foodservice bakeries

first_imgThe extension of the job furlough scheme has been welcomed by a baking industry suffering from the collapse of the foodservice market.Chancellor Rishi Sunak this week announced that the scheme to pay workers on leave because of coronavirus will be extended to October. It is estimated a quarter of the UK workforce is now covered by the scheme.Employees will continue to receive 80% of their monthly wages up to £2,500 until the end of July, but the government will ask companies to contribute to the cost of the scheme from August, when employers will be able to bring furloughed employees back part-time.Baking industry trade groups have said the scheme has been essential during the outbreak.Although there has been a huge increase in demand for bread at retail, many bakery businesses have been hit hard by the closure of trade customers such as pubs, restaurants and schools.“Some of our members, where foodservice is an integral part of their business, have seen a significant decrease in sales,” said Federation of Bakers chief executive Gordon Polson.“During these difficult times and while the foodservice industry remains affected by Covid-19, we believe this government support is essential in helping to ensure the future of many businesses in the bread and bakery industry.”Trade group Scottish Bakers said its members were reporting that 80% of bakery businesses had now furloughed staff, with a significant proportion of the sector ceasing to trade altogether.The organisation added that this meant almost half of all Scottish bakery shops and all bakery cafés were now closed, and that many bakers feared they would be unable to continue trading or remain viable for much longer.“This announcement by the Chancellor offers a real lifeline to many struggling small and medium-sized bakery businesses throughout Scotland,” said Scottish Bakers chief executive Alasdair Smith.“The extension will allow businesses to more carefully plan their escape from lockdown and begin to bring back staff in a more measured way over a longer period of time. This will help them build up their capacity as demand for their products begins to recover with greater freedom of movement for our population.”He added that being able to plan as far forward as the end of October was a welcome extra relief for businesses and would help to preserve many jobs in the sector.last_img read more

NYC Woman Married 10 Men, 2 on Long Island, Prosecutors Say

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York She said “yes” to the dress—10 times.Liana Barrientos, 38, of Manhattan, has been charged with filing a false marriage license, a felony, after marrying 10 men over the course of 11 years without ever filing for divorce from any of the grooms, Bronx prosecutors said.The Bronx District Attorney’s office said Barrientos also married two men on Long Island in 2002—in Hempstead and Huntington.According to a criminal complaint, 2002 was a particularly busy year for the alleged serial bride. During that year, she filed six different marriage licenses in her name, prosecutors said.Authorities uncovered the alleged wedding spree after scrutinizing a March 2010 marriage license filed in the Bronx County Clerk’s office that stated Barrientos had never been married before, according to the criminal complaint.Investigators found a marriage license dating back to Nov. 5, 1999. The license was filed in Eastchester.Since then, licenses were allegedly filed in Rye, Yonkers, Greenburgh, Mamaroneck and White Plains.The Hempstead marriage took place on Valentine’s Day in 2002. Exactly one month later another license was filed under her name in Huntington, authorities said.Barrientos, who was originally arrested last November, is scheduled to be arraigned Friday at Bronx Supreme Court.last_img read more

Balotelli is ordinary – Taarabt

first_img The accusations came on a day when Inter Milan played down prospects of the striker leaving Liverpool to join them in January. Inter vice-president Javier Zanetti takes a different view to Taarabt – labelling Balotelli “a great player” – but the Italians believe recruiting the 24-year-old during the winter could be unrealistic. A return to the San Siro would see Balotelli reunited with Roberto Mancini, who coached Balotelli at Inter and Manchester City. Mancini, who took the reins at Inter last month for a second spell in charge, revealed after Monday’s 2-0 triumph at Chievo that he was keen to bolster his attack. “In certain roles in attack we are lacking,” Mancini told Gazzetta dello Sport. “The club are aware of this but in January it will not be easy.” Balotelli came through the ranks at Inter before being sold to Manchester City in 2010. He joined Liverpool in a £16million move from AC Milan but as well as lacking form, he has missed a number of games with a groin injury and was recently charged by the Football Association over a controversial posting on Instagram. Balotelli has accepted the charge in relation to making racist and anti-Semitic comments on social media but has offered mitigation for his actions. He posted an image of computer game character Super Mario on Instagram which included the words ”jumps like a black man and grabs coins like a Jew”. Balotelli has struggled since moving to Anfield at the end of the summer transfer window and Inter are keen to strengthen their attacking line. However Zanetti told Sky Italia: “A Balotelli return? We all know Mario is a great player but I think it’s difficult because he only just arrived at Liverpool. “In any case, after our game against Lazio (on December 21) we will hold meetings to see what we can do and what is needed in terms of the (transfer) market.” Balotelli has scored only two goals in his 14 appearances for Liverpool, and QPR playmaker Taarabt, who played with him while on loan at AC Milan last season, does not see the Italy international as a top quality forward. Speaking to Italian TV channel Sky Italia, Taarabt said: “Balotelli? Everyone told me he was amazing and I played with him and I can say he is strong but he didn’t seem to me as though he was world class. “He is an ordinary player, not a phenomenon.” Taarabt added: “He is someone who has a strong shot but he doesn’t play for the team. And if he does, he doesn’t score as is the case right now at Liverpool. “He’s had so many chances, from (Manchester) City to Milan, and he’s thrown them away.” Mario Balotelli has been branded “ordinary” and a player who has repeatedly wasted great career opportunities by former team-mate Adel Taarabt. Press Associationlast_img read more