Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Portugal’s government says the country’s soccer league will be allowed to resume on May 30 following a stoppage forced by the coronavirus pandemic. The Latest: Portuguese league to resume May 30 Prime Minister António Costa included the announcement in Thursday’s presentation of his government’s plan to roll back lockdown measures.Costa said the resumption of play still depends on health authorities approving measures to make stadiums meet hygiene conditions. The games will be played without fans. Porto leads Benfica by one point at the top of the standings.___ German chancellor Angela Merkel says a decision on whether the country’s soccer league can resume amid the coronavirus pandemic has been pushed back to Wednesday.Soccer authorities had been hoping to receive the go-ahead to resume league games without fans as early as May 9.Merkel met with the country’s 16 state governors and warned there is still a danger that numbers of COVID-19 infections could rise if strict containment measures are relaxed too soon.Merkel says “we have to do all we can to ensure there is no regression.”A ban on all large gatherings through the end of August will remain. The team hasn’t announced any plans for fans who have tickets to games later in the season.The Dodgers were supposed to open the season on March 26; however, the start of baseball was postponed by the new coronavirus.Dodger Stadium is set to host the All-Star Game in July. Officially, it has not been canceled, which the team noted in its information for fans.___The Canucks for Kids Fund is donating $500,000 to Vancouver-area groups to help provide critical community needs during the COVID-19 pandemic. ___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The German league tells news agency DPA the tests will start immediately.The Bundesliga’s plan to resume in May rests on regular testing for players. That is likely to be before they resume full-team training and before each game.Thousands of tests will be needed to complete the season. That has fueled criticism that the plan wastes resources. The vice president of Germany’s public health institute said last week testing should be focused on people who have symptoms or were linked to an outbreak.___Paris Saint-Germain says there is “nothing official” but didn’t deny that it was about to be declared French league champion. Associated Press The French season ended early because of the coronavirus pandemic and sports daily L’Équipe says on its website that a decision on the league standings was expected to be ratified by the LFP’s board of directors.The French government called off soccer and rugby leagues in the country on Tuesday and ended plans to resume.The top two divisions in French soccer had 10 rounds of matches left to play. PSG led second-place Marseille by 12 points and played one game less. Marseille stands to qualify directly for the Champions League while third-place Rennes would enter the qualifying rounds.___The Diamond League track meet in Lausanne, Switzerland, won’t happen as scheduled on Aug. 20. April 30, 2020 The Italian sports minister says the government will create an economic safety net if it orders the Serie A soccer season to be shut down.Vincenzo Spadafora says if the season isn’t allowed to resume “we will assume responsibility so that soccer … has the least damage possible. Because it’s worth remembering that soccer is a big industry in our country.”But Spadafora is still leaving open the possibility that teams can resume training if sports and government officials agree on a proper health protocol. He says resuming training “will have a positive effect on the possible resumption of the season.”Spadafora adds that if the protocol can’t be agreed on “the government will declare the end of the season.”___ The Bundesliga was suspended on March 13 with nine rounds remaining.___The Falmouth Road Race will go on as an “At-Home Edition.”The 48th edition of the seven-mile run that usually winds along the Cape Cod seashore in Massachusetts will instead have participants running 7 miles in their own neighborhoods at some point in a two-week period at the end of August. The race was originally scheduled for Aug. 16, but the Town of Falmouth has implemented a “no large event” policy through the end of August because of the coronavirus pandemic.Race organizers are buying $25,000 in gift cards to local businesses to hand out randomly to participants. The first 5,000 to register get guaranteed entry into the 2021 race. Belarus national soccer federation spokesman Alexander Aleinik tells The Associated Press that “tests did not confirm the virus for any of the players.”___British boxing’s governing body says it hopes fights can be staged from July.The British Boxing Board of Control says events would likely be held without fans initially and with an emphasis on “minimal numbers” of officials and broadcast personnel.Anyone at the events will have to have been in pre-fight quarantine and had tests for COVID-19. There will initially be a maximum of five contests in a show. First run in 1973, the Falmouth Road Race typically draws a field from Olympians to recreational runners. Past winners have included Boston Marathon champions Joan Benoit Samuelson, Bill Rodgers, Catherine Ndereba and Olympic marathon gold medalist Frank Shorter.___Paris Saint-Germain has been declared French league champion after the soccer season ended early because of the coronavirus pandemic.The move follows the French government’s decision to call off the soccer and rugby leagues in the country because of the virus.The top two divisions in French soccer had 10 rounds of matches left to play. PSG led second-place Marseille by 12 points and played one game less. The money will be used to provide meals and care for seniors, youth and families, cleaning, security, emergency shelter, child care, and drop-in counseling sessions by voice, video and chat. Groups receiving money include Feeding the Community, Greater Vancouver Food Bank, BC Care Providers Association, Senior Services Society of BC, Canucks Family Education Centre, Mackie’s Place, Foundry, YWCA, and Kids Help Phone. Fans are also invited to participate if they can by donating online.The Kids Fund normally dedicates its resources to assist charities which support children’s health and wellness, foster the development of grassroots hockey, and facilitate and encourage education in British Columbia.___ Organizers of the Athletissima say they are now looking at “alternative options and formats that could still be considered in order to offer athletes the possibility to compete.”Switzerland’s government has prohibited gatherings of more than 1,000 people until the end of August.Athletissima organizers say “it is currently impossible to allow a high number of people to gather in a confined area.”The first eight track meets on the Diamond League circuit have been postponed. Lausanne was the fifth in order of the seven left on the calendar.___ The French soccer league has launched a lottery to help raise funds for hospitals and medical staff dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.Fans have a chance to win a signed jersey in exchange for an online donation of 5 euros ($5.40) to the “Tous Unis contre le Virus” (All United against the Virus) campaign.French champion Paris Saint-Germain’s jersey is co-signed by Kylian Mbappé and Edinson Cavani.Dimitri Payet was one of France’s best players when the team reached the 2016 European Championship final and he has signed the Marseille jersey. Houssem Aouar signed Lyon’s jersey.The French league says 2 million euros ($2.2 million) has already been raised through previous fundraising in French soccer. ___A new women’s soccer season has started in Belarus after it was initially delayed because of the coronavirus outbreak.The season started with a game between Dynamo-BGUFK and the Belarus national under-19 team. The under-19 team competes in the league alongside club squads.Fans were allowed to attend the game for free but fewer than 100 were in the stands at the stadium in Minsk.Belarus is the only country in Europe playing professional soccer during the pandemic. The men’s league started last month and the women’s league had been scheduled to start on April 16 but was delayed by two weeks because of suspicions that players had contact with people who had the virus. The BBBofC says it continues to follow advice from government and medical authorities.The biggest fight that could take place in Britain in July is Anthony Joshua’s defense of his world heavyweight belts against Kubrat Pulev in London.The fight was initially scheduled for June 20 but was postponed. It could now be held on July 25.___Germany is beginning to roll out coronavirus testing at soccer clubs in the top two men’s leagues in the hope of resuming the season next month. Red Sox fans can still have their messages posted on the scoreboard at Fenway Park — even though the ballpark is closed and no games are taking place.For a $50 donation to the team’s charity, fans can have a message posted on the 40-by-100 foot center field video board. For $100, they can have a message and a picture. The team will take a picture and send a picture of the scoreboard bearing the message.The money will go to the Red Sox Foundation, which has been maintaining operations and programming during the coronavirus crisis to ensure consistent and necessary support and resources to hundreds of other non-profits and youth throughout New England. ___The Dodgers will soon give fans an account credit for home games scheduled in March and April.
A Dept. of Public Safety officer and his fiancee were found late Sunday dead from gunshots in a parked car in Irvine, Calif.The victims, who were found in the vehicle at about 9:10 p.m., were identified as Keith Lawrence, 27, and Monica Quan, 28. Gunshots were not reported that night, and the bodies were only found after a passerby noticed Lawrence slumped over the steering wheel, according to police. Law enforcement officials are continuing to investigate the crime as a double homicide, not a murder-suicide.Lawrence joined DPS in August 2012 and at the time of his death was assigned to patrol operations, according to DPS Capt David Carlisle. He was an armed officer and a graduate of the Ventura County Sheriff’s Academy. His fiancee Quan was a assistant basketball coach for the Cal State Fullerton women’s team. Both were graduates of Concordia University.DPS Chief John Thomas released a statement Monday regarding the shooting:“It is with great sadness and a very heavy heart that I announce the untimely death of a member of the DPS Family, PSO I Keith Lawrence. Officer Lawrence and his fiancée were discovered deceased earlier this morning; victims of a senseless act of violence in the City of Irvine.During his brief tenure of service here at USC, Officer Lawrence proved to be an honorable, compassionate and professional member of our department and the Trojan Family. We are a better department and the USC Campus Community is a safer place as a result of his service.Please continue to espouse those same values of honor, commitment to duty, professionalism and compassion as we continue to add to his legacy and those that we all share as members of the law enforcement/public safety community.I would also ask that you remember Keith and his fiancée’s families in your thoughts and prayers as they grieve and begin the healing process and move forward from this tragic loss of their loved ones.”
MASON CITY — The Cerro Gordo County Department of Public Health is looking over options after being forced from their home at Mohawk Square earlier this month due to a roof collapse caused by severe storms that rolled through the area.The department’s Immunization Clinic, STD/HIV Clinic, and public health nursing and home care aides staff are temporarily housed at the Community Health Center at 404 North Federal. The rest of the department is working out of a conference room at the Law Enforcement Center on the west side of Mason City.Health Department director Brian Hanft says they greatly appreciate being able to use the two locations, but they need to explore other options. “They’ve been very generous to let us use their space, but we’re in their space, and recognizing that they offered that in the short-term, you know whatever that timeline looks like, I think it’s just responsible of us to at least consider where we end up in the longer-term and try not to take advantage of what they’re giving us.”A definite timeline on when the Health Department might be able to move back into Mohawk Square has not been released, and Hanft says a lot of questions can be raised in finding a short-term solution to house the department under one roof, including in some vacant locations around the community. “I don’t want to stay in the Law Enforcement Center for six months, and I don’t know about the Community Health Center for six months. Again I think that’s a pretty big ask of those locations. We would need to then find something, even again if we set up in the McGregor building, I’m just using that (as an example) because it’s empty. It’s going to cost a couple thousand dollars a month to probably rent it, and we set up some cubicles, and least we have some space, and then we just pay for that over the next six months.”Hanft says the wise planning by the county to have all county-owned computer systems backed up at the Law Enforcement Center was a tremendous help in getting the department through this ordeal. “When you all of a sudden don’t have access to IT, with all of your computer systems were all backed up out at the Law Enforcement Center, and I just want to stress the importance of having that as far as continuity of operations planning. There’s an expense there, but it is tremendously helpful when you need it and it’s there.”Hanft and members of his staff discussed the situation with the County Board of Supervisors during a workshop session this morning, saying he wanted their input on what steps they’d like to see taken. “I just wanted to have at least some direction as to what you are thinking about, and I think we’re on the same page as far as going out and investing a lot of money in place that we have to update and then continue to pay rent on for the life of our lease agreement there doesn’t seem to make the most sense. So the idea then is finding a place temporarily that would get us by, until we either find a location that makes sense to build in and we go back in Mohawk Square if it’s safe and stay there until we come up with a longer-term solution.”Hanft and the supervisors agreed to gather more information in helping to make a better decision and discuss the situation further during another workshop next week. The item will also be discussed at the County Board of Health’s meeting this Friday afternoon. === One of the other displaced tenants of Mohawk Square has found a temporary home. The Mason City Housing Authority says they have relocated to Suite 506 at the Brick and Tile Building at 103 East State. They can still be reached at their old office phone number, 421-2711.